Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Mixed 802.11n/802.11g speeds? Also - suggestions for equipment?

Hi all,

I've been plonking along with 802.11g and have never really had a need to look into 802.11n until now.

I've just bought an AppleTV and should be getting Internode Naked Extreme ADSL installed in a few weeks. Unfortunately being in an apartment limits my physical cabling options (which I'd much prefer), so wireless it is.

I'll be connecting the following equipment (wirelessly, because none of these will be near the phone line):
    • Mac Pro
    • PS3
    • Wii
    • Apple TV
    • MacBook
    • iPhone(s)
    • Wintel Laptop with 802.11g built-in

A lot of those are 802.11g-only, which is fine, but I'd like to get an N router to allow the AppleTV to work at N speeds (it'll be reasonably close to the router).

But...do mixed-mode networks scale back to the lowest speed, like mixed b/g networks do? E.g. if I have an iPhone (g) and the Apple TV (n) both accessing the router at the same time, will the ATV only work at g speeds? What about if the g devices aren't accessing the router at that time? Then will the ATV talk to the router at n speeds?

Appreciate any advice. Would also appreciate any suggestions for:
    • A decent 802.11n modem router with VOIP (i.e. so I don't need an ATA)
    • USB 802.11n adapter compatible with OS X for my Mac Pro

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    - Febs.
    "Woz, we need blue boxes not computers." (Steve Jobs).

Yes, if you have a mixed mode network and a g device is using it, all traffic gets slowed to g speeds.

The only way around it is to basically run two separate wireless networks.

The newest airport extremes do it by default. You can setup a b/g network and also a separate n network so n compatible devices run at full speed. The cool thing is that both networks can also talk to each other if necessary.

FYI My current setup is as follows:
    Billion 7404VGO modem (Node Naked ADSL2+), running a b/g wireless network. I have my PS3 and Wii connected to this wireless network.

Plugged into the Billion, I have an old Airport Extreme (the model that didn't have dual band wireless). It's running an n network which my macbook pro, macbook and imac all connect to.

I also have an Airport Express plugged in at my lounge room which also connects to the Airport extreme. I run my Beyonwiz PVR and stereo through it.

If you have the cash to spend. I'd recommend a Billion modem and one of the new airport extremes. Disbale the wireless on the Billion and run both networks through the airport extreme.
    For a cheaper option you could look at doing something like I have now, running an older base station and setting up two separate networks.

Another good example is:
    Notes on a Dual-Mode Airport Extreme Network ? Luo.ma

cheers
    Get your dev groove on!

Quote Originally Posted by Febs View Post
    Unfortunately being in an apartment limits my physical cabling options (which I'd much prefer), so wireless it is.
    No it's not. Far from it.

Your apartment has powerpoints wherever you want to plonk some tech, yes? Then use ethernet-over-power. Much faster than wireless could ever hope for, and at $128 per twin-pack it's relatively cheap to set up ... and when you move out, you can take it all with you.

HomePlug is a standard and comes in two speeds, 85 Mbps and 200 Mbps (with Belkin recently announcing another faster speed due soon) and the actual pods are available from a variety of makers -- Netcomm, Panasonic, Belkin, D-Link, Billion, TLink, and several others.

This forum has several happy users of the Netcomm NP285 HomePlug Starter Kit. They truly are plug-n-go, no setup required, and you can have up to 12 (16 with some brands) EoP pods on the same network.

My setup currently is this:

Netgear DG834GV VOIP Modem (can be had for about $149) which includes a G Wireless Router
    Netgear WNHDE111 5.0Ghz N Wireless Access Point/Bridge (from about $90 on Staticice, price may vary depending where you get it from).

Coupled together these gives me both an N and a G network. File Transfers are about 7MB a second over N (or 3.5 each way if doing from one wireless PC>accesspoint>second wireless PC).

And if I need to copy a big file over I just plug into ethernet anyway. As far as streaming video/music etc, even G speeds are more than enough, but my apartment building is littered with G networks which is Why I wanted to switch to 5.0ghz N to get myself out of that band (which nobody else is in... yet!)

I couldn't really justify the cost of an Airport Extreme as much as I'd love one. Maybe one day.

Thanks for the posts guys, particularly macgeek. Very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Brains View Post
    No it's not. Far from it.
    I know about EoP and looked into it a while ago, but no-one could answer my security concerns (in fact one of the places I asked was the very thread you linked). Being in an apartment, surely there's the possibility (even a remote possibility) that someone else using EoP could get onto my network? Sounds like a great idea for a house (and I know people using them with great success), but I'm not so sure it's for me. (Yes, I'm aware there are obviously security concerns with Wireless too ).

I guess I could consider a hybrid (EoP for the Mac Pro, wireless for the rest)...but the security aspect bothers me.

Cheers,
    - Febs.

Thanks for the responses guys. Did a bit of research (including some of the models mentioned here, thanks ) and decided to go with the Billion 7401VGP R3 - 4 port ADSL2+ modem/router with VOIP - $167.

Decided I didn't really need the N speeds, and as you guys pointed out, I could add an N wireless access point down the track. This'll suit my needs nicely, and by all reports is a pretty capable unit. Looking forward to Thursday when we get the 'node link sorted out.

Cheers,
    - Febs.