Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Broken Macbook 13"

Hey, looking for some advice here...

I have a girl friend of mine who bought a Macbook 13" in December. About 4 days after she bought it, she was getting out of her car and grabbed her purse and out came the Macbook while it was in sleep mode and flew out of the bag and onto the street.

So I'm looking at the easiest way for me to fix it for here.

The problems are:

Cracked LCD (But can boot up on external display)

HD worked for a few days after the drop, but now when I try and do a Zero erase on the HD and try and reload the OS, it doesn't show a HD to install the OS on. But it does show it, like I said when I erase and zero..?

Other than that everything seems to be fine. I could install the display if I could find one for a cheap price, and I have been told that the HD may be f'd.

One thing I am going to try is, putting the Macbook HD into my PS3 and see if that works. And by placing the HD from the PS3 into the Macbook to see if it can read it.

Anyone think there may be some more issues that may be wrong? Should I bother to try and fix, and how much do you reckon it would cost to get everything back to good shape?

Thanks,

D

Chuck the HD, it's most likely cactus. If you can boot up using an external display, run the Apple Hardware test CD and see if any problems crop up; if all good, a new display + HD and all should be fine.

I've seen new displays on eBay for $250 - 300 and you can pick up a replacement 2.5" SATA HD from $80 new.

JB

has she got Household insurance with accidental Insurance ???

would be checking that, then take it to a service centre to get looked at
    I love Cats, just could not eat a whole one

is this a Macbook white or a macbook aluminium? If white you can get cheap LCDs from here:
    MacBook 13.3" LCD Panel - MacBook 13.3" LCD Screen Panel Replacement - MacFixit Australia Store

Forget about the HD, it's screwed. If it's not showing up reliably on your mac no matter whether it shows up when you format it it's not worth the risk of re-using. Drives are so cheap these days, just go buy a new one.

Hey thanks for the reply's!

It is a Macbook White.. So i'll take a look at that link you have choy.

Yeah she has gone through the insurance things and the answer is pretty much tough luck..

I was thinking about putting the PS3 HD in the Macbook, just to see if it even reads it, cause if it doesn't, then there may be more damage?

Does anyone know the name of the type of screw that hold the Macbook HD in it's casing?

The screws that hold the drive into the drive carrier are 8 bit Torx screws...you should be able to find a suitable screwdriver at Dick Smiths, thats where I got mine from anyway.
    Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two...

Hey mate,

When you pull it apart the hinges in the display housing may be cracked, depending on the fall. You may also have damaged screw stand-offs (threads moulded into the casing) in the bottom case and top case. This would be worst case scenario though!

You'd probably be looking at anywhere between $300~$500 to fix it.
    Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz (unibody) / PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3Ghz / iPhone 3G
    Successful trades: ryano, hMc, fickwalker

You could use an external HD, keyboard, mouse and monitor, and use it as a Mac Mini. For the time being, if you have spares and $ is tight.

She bought it in December, and she dropped it 4 days later... And it's now July...?

Yeah
    Last edited by dholms; 8th January 2010 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dholms View Post
    Yeah just met the girl like a month ago, and she mentioned it to me, so I said I would take a look. Been sitting under her bed since then.
    Shit steady on there mate, you've only been with her for a month, does she know you are there?

JB

hah... Busted! She just found me

Quote Originally Posted by dholms View Post
    I have a girl friend of mine who bought a Macbook 13" in December. About 4 days after she bought it, she was getting out of her car and grabbed her purse and out came the Macbook while it was in sleep mode and flew out of the bag and onto the street.
    This is one of those situations where a credit card with 90 day purchase protection pays for itself.

Last edited by dholms; 8th January 2010 at 05:35 PM.

MacFixIt would be the best place to get the gear from. With warranties and the like.

Set aside some time for the repair, take it slow and keep your screws organised!
    Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz (unibody) / PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3Ghz / iPhone 3G
    Successful trades: ryano, hMc, fickwalker

Got it working!!

Just for peice of mind I bought an external HDD and installed the 10.5 on that and it seems to running quite nicely.

Now I just need to find a good price for the display and laptop HDD.. Thanks for all the help. Hope fully I could get this all done for under $400.

So I need a HDD that is 2.5" of ATA?

Nope, for a MB you will need a SATA drive. You should be able to find a seagate or WD 80GB drive for $60ish.

staticICE :: 2.5" sata 80gb : Australia's comprehensive computer hardware and gadget price comparison search engine

Good luck mate
    - Berwyck
    Macs: MBP 13" C2D 2.23GHz

I am thinking of getting this, cause it seems to be pretty cheap.

2.5" SATA Drives - Hitachi 2.5" SATA Laptop Hard Disk Drives - ***SPECIAL PRICE - LIMITED TIME***Hitachi Travelstar 500GB 2.5" 5K500 5400RPM SATA Notebook Drive with 16MB Cache - New, 3 Year Warranty - MacFixit Australia Store

I would be nice to get the display for cheaper tho...

https://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart...1&cat=0&page=1

$221.00 with shipping... Not too bad, and the same HDD as above is cheaper as well
    Last edited by dholms; 20th September 2009 at 06:56 PM.

Removed
    Last edited by dholms; 8th January 2010 at 05:29 PM.

Removed
    Last edited by dholms; 8th January 2010 at 05:28 PM.

Does anyone know of a place where I may be able to buy an LCD in a retail store
    Last edited by dholms; 14th January 2010 at 08:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast