Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Time Machine and Multiple computers NO GO

Hi all helpful mactalkers.

I have an airport extreme with a USB hub and two drives and printer hanging off it.

I have been using one drive for time machine backups, and it works well for my laptop, but it seems to have all sorts of trouble with my other IMAC.

I rang applecare and they tell me it's an unsupported configuration !? Even though this was the solution offered at the apple store when i wanted a larger drive than what is supplied in time capsule.

Soooo.

Is there anything i can try to get this to work ? The imac will work every now and then, seemingly after a restart. I don't think it's when they are both backing up at the same time cause that seems to work (when the imac has worked). It still won't work even if i shut down the other laptop.

The imac usually reports an error message about the network being unavailable or the drive not being able to be mounted even though i can mount the drive and have it mounted in the finder.

Suggestions ??

jb
    www.johnbrawley.com
    Cinematographer
    Sydney Australia ==> I have a BLOG

I have five Macs connected to an Airport Extreme with a USB disk and printer attached. Only two are wired, the others are wireless. All seems to be chugging along nicely. So it can work, despite being "unsupported" (sure, Apple provide actual support for the "supported" configurations anyhow).

Are you certain you have reliable network connectivity between the iMac and base station?

Try the usual: delete everything (airport config, sharing, etc) and start again. Sacrifice goats/virgins, whatever is available in your neck of the woods. Try different radio channels (I found I had unreliable wifi on "auto"). Open Keychain Access and delete any items that look like they might be related to wifi, the AEBS or the shared disk. Run Keychain Access first aid. Try a wired link. Call for more virgins.

(1: I've recently converted them to use encrypted images, per HOWTO: Creating an encrypted Time Machine backup - Mac Forums seems to work a treat - but be warned, encrypting an existing image could take days... far quicker to start with a new empty encrypted image)

(2: now having "boasted" how well it's working, Murphy - or an Apple update, choose your poison - will surely strike me down... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by af3556 View Post
    Are you certain you have reliable network connectivity between the iMac and base station?

Try the usual: delete everything (airport config, sharing, etc) and start again. Sacrifice goats/virgins, whatever is available in your neck of the woods.
    well i ran short of virgins after my other unrelated issues with an airport express and airtunes which are now largely resolved.

I was able to get things working by changing the permissions in the airport utils from guess access to access only with the airport login password.

That seems to be working fine now. However, i do note that the time machine panel when NOT backing up on the imac, the machine that was having the troubles has the disk name that is not quite right.

It's listed as

Chas_Tenenbaum-1

but when it actually starts to backup it then changes to

Chas_Tenebaum

The Laptop which has always worked fine never has this schizophrenic disorder. Is this a residual issue from before ?

thanks again for the help...

jb
    www.johnbrawley.com
    Cinematographer
    Sydney Australia ==> I have a BLOG