Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
    Edge Guest

I need to ask a very small favour of anyone here with an iMac G4 1.25GHz 20" or 17" with the GeForce 5200 graphics chip. It would be of enormous assistance and I would be extremely grateful. Involves no technical knowledge nor heavy lifting. Should only take a minute. It only involves typing a dozen characters and saving the resulting file. PM me and I'll explain.

Edge Guest

Anyone?

I think you might get a better response to this if you elaborated on what it is you are trying to achieve. Most people will respond if its written down in front of them rather than conversing via PM.

Best of luck.

Edge Guest

Thanks for the replies so far, guys.

I'm trying to get more info about the graphics chip in the two specific iMac models. It's a GeForce FX5200 Ultra chip. Reason being, we're trying to perfect the flashing of the PC version of the card to Mac. So far we have DVI working by itself, and dual VGA working, but we need more info to get dual DVI & VGA working.

The task involves dumping the I/O Registry to a text file via terminal.app. It will give us info about how the 5200 communicates with the DVI port, which should help to get dual monitors working properly.

The card is perfect for Cube owners, because it is Core Image compatible and some models fit without moving the VRM. When Apple switch on Quartx Extreme 2D, it will offload much of the graphics workload to the video card, which should speed things up. For fanatical Cube owners like me, it's the holy grail. Probably the last of the Core Image cards to be made for AGP 2x ports, which doesn't suck too much power (and generate too much heat) and physically fits in the enclosure.

If any Cube owners here want more info, just ask, and I'll point you to all the necessary info. I have a couple of cards left over from the discovery process which I will sell, too.