Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

I have a 60GB Maxtor external USB HDD which I have been saving some windows files (mainly jpegs). I have used the one touch option on it for the PC laptop.
    Is it possible for me to just pluck this maxtor into my powerbook and share/transfer those files safely? In other words, can I treat it like a giant USB pendrive (which can normally be used on PC and Mac simultaneously)?

if its formatted NTFS, then no the mac can only read and not write NTFS

if its FAT then you can
    Mac Pro Dual Xeon 2.8GHz Quad, 6GB Ram, 128GB SSD+320GB+3x1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX285, Mac OS X 10.7
    My Flickr | Portfolio/Photoblog

Yeah, I use a 160Gb IceCube formatted to FAT32 between PCs and my Macs. I've had no problems (except that FAT32 is a shitty format - no files bigger than 4Gb, really great when you've been working in DVD Studio Pro and you need to archive your files and the M2V is 4.7Gb...damn FAT32! Things I wished I knew back then that I do now...*grumbles* I need a new external...)

Anyway, it'll work without a hitch. And I'm pretty sure under 10.3.9 and under 10.4 NTFS is read and write, although no-one has been able to confirm or dispel this myth (it was discussed some time ago on these forums somewhere).

Hope that helps...just remember...no bigger than 4 Gb.....*cries*
    If it is hidden, it is the flower - Zeami, Noh playwright

Originally posted by Arkhum_Eramak@Jun 25 2005, 07:11 AM
    Hope that helps...just remember...no bigger than 4 Gb.....*cries*
    Yeah, it sucks doesn't it.

You can make it Mac Formatted and buy a small app that will make it readable in Windows. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the app though.

I wonder if Longhorn will mean hard drives will have to be formatted differently, and Mac might be able to read and write and visa versa.

I haven't heard of any change from NTFS, and there's no technical deficiency in the filesystem (besides being proprietary and therefore impossible to use well unless you're using Windows).

You could investigate alternate filesystems such as ReiserFS, xfs, etc... maybe you can find Windows drivers for them...?

This might help:

http://www.f.kth.se/~f96-bet/hfsutils/

i have used a program called MacOpener on the PC side of things to read HFS drives. I have never had a problem with it - although most of the usage was with Mac formatted zip disks

neil