Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Ľ Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Back to base home security alarm

We've recently brought a new place with a back to base (currently not monitored) security system installed.

I'm in two minds about utilising the monitoring part of it. Does anyone have any experience with them? I have a few questions as a quick search of the web doesn't really reveal too much.

I'm thinking of getting naked ADSL at the new place, so that will make it difficult in terms of monitoring - I can see there are GSM versions available but not too sure about it and it seems like a big hassle. (I'd just use ADSL2+ and keep the phone line if it comes to that).

Is it hideously expensive? If it's more than I'm prepared to pay a month then that solves all the problems as I'll just rely on it alarming locally to deter people.

Does it have to be monitored by the same company that installed it? It's not active at the moment. Can I get a few quotes for monitoring even if the company didn't install it?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Muchas gracias!
    Successful Trades: krazy1, Astr0b0y, soulman, areal, smdnetau, Huy, Alessiman, step_andy, tibook, mulquemi, BoxDog, Devski, The Keddi, decryption

If it were me i would be happy with alarming locally as any back to base is only as good as the response.

It is also my understanding most police do not respond (because of false alarms?). So if you were considering BTB, check with them first.

How about sticking some high decibel sirens inside the house to drive any intruder out?

I've rented two places that had those alarms and housesat for a year another which was monitored. All of them had probs with the alarms going off for no reason, or a pet setting it off inside. In the end we left them all off.

Most people just ignore and/or curse the house if the alarm goes off in a local sense.
    Successful trade with: Clockwork.....(and what a trade!)

I have B2B with our alarm.

Most calls are related to the fact that the power has gone off - this triggers the B2B and they usually call the mobile to tell us the power has been disconnected.

We did once get a call whilst we were away - the father in law went round to have a look. It was going off - but was a false alarm.

So it does work - although I think the burglars would be long gone by the time we get round there. Ours doesn't go to the police. It costs $320 p.a. - although you should get a discount on your insurance.

Is it worthwhile? Dunno, I would prob cancel, but the wife wants to keep it. If I cancel and we got burgled whilst away, I bet my balls would be fried.
    Kushti

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ram View Post
    Most calls are related to the fact that the power has gone off - this triggers the B2B and they usually call the mobile to tell us the power has been disconnected.
    So it does work - although I think the burglars would be long gone by the time we get round there. Ours doesn't go to the police. It costs $320 p.a. - although you should get a discount on your insurance.
    So, if the crooks turned the main power off then the only response would be a phone call to you? and, if it was an alarm, and you were interstate, who would respond to check it out? If it were you, then wouldn't it be better to get a dialer fitted to the system and cut the middle man out?

Just me being cynical of another way to pull money out of my back pocket, with no real value adding..

M2CW - been in the electronic security industry (commercial & residential) for 22 years.

Never had a home alarm installed anywhere I lived.

I have a BacktoBase system installed and monitored which costs about $25 a month. You will get a larger rebate on your insurance for having a BtoB system over a non-monitored system. If you do not activate the system when absent you could negate your insurance.

These systems work on a battery backup which would last about 24 hours if the power goes off either through either failure or burglar cutting it off. Depending upon quality of provider you can elect whether to have them call you if alarm activated or send out a security inspector. I have had Police call in response to false intruder alarm.

I would like to get naked adsl but believe the alarm system needs the landline.

Not a great deal of money for the peace of mind and rebate on your insurance.

We've had a B2B, including smoke alarm, fitted for a number of years that was arranged through NRMA. It costs about a dollar a day. Never had a false alarm apart from one of the family forgetting the disarm code.

The alarm should be used as part of a defence in depth arrangement - deadlocks, keyed window locks, exterior sensor lights, patio bolts etc. You also need to keep the monitoring people informed of your requirements for a response - if out of town, get them to call a mobile instead of the house. If in the bush and out of phone range, have a patrol respond to any alarm.

All this won't stop someone determined to get in, grab the TV and run with the alarm ringing in their ears.

We had an attempted break in the week before last. This was despite a warning sticker on the window and a view of the armed alarm panel through the window he/she/they attacked.

It's also worth reporting even the suspicion of an attempted break in - it builds up the intelligence picture and the constabulary may find some forensic traces.

Quote Originally Posted by olfella View Post
    So, if the crooks turned the main power off then the only response would be a phone call to you? and, if it was an alarm, and you were interstate, who would respond to check it out? If it were you, then wouldn't it be better to get a dialer fitted to the system and cut the middle man out?

Just me being cynical of another way to pull money out of my back pocket, with no real value adding..
    As I said..

Is it worthwhile? Dunno, I would prob cancel, but the wife wants to keep it. If I cancel and we got burgled whilst away, I bet my balls would be fried.
    Kushti

Thanks fellas'. You have all answered my concerns - so it is over to Rasta

and nobody likes the smell of fried nuts

Does anyone have a B2B alarm with NakedDSL or via a GSM connection?

Not worth the drama, had one in a house I live in a few years ago because of some stuff we kept in the building.

Between the false alarms, poor response from the company (ADT) and the cost it simply didn't work out to be worth while.

If you decide to do it, like all things, read every sing word of the fine print, in particular with regards to call out fees (which get slugged even if it's a fase alarm).

You can use a back to base alarm with ADSL but obviously the alarm needs to be filtered, with Naked I don;t think you can do it. Naked kills the phone line, the phone line is needed for the alarm system to work (don't quote me on it though).

Yep. Phone line with a pulse is needed for the dialler to dial the alarm company.
    You can get a GSM dialler, and program it so it rings your mobile. Also you will see the GSM number on your caller display and know it's your alarm.

Back to base is good, especially for panic/duress/medical alarms, but the best alarm is the neighbours.
    I was at work today when my neighbour rang and said that the cops are all around the streets. Someone broke into a house around the corner and the cops were chasing them through backyards etc. and knocked on their door and told them to stay inside.
    I guess no alarm will monitor the backyard and attempted breakins, but it does give you piece of mind that someone will look out if it does go off.
    Redman
    iPhone 4S, iMac 24' 3.06ghz 4gb Ram, rMBP, 64GB 3G iPad 2, 64gb iPod Touch, Mac Mini [HTPC],

Quote Originally Posted by Rasta View Post
    We've recently brought a new place with a back to base (currently not monitored) security system installed.

I'm in two minds about utilising the monitoring part of it. Does anyone have any experience with them? I have a few questions as a quick search of the web doesn't really reveal too much.

I'm thinking of getting naked ADSL at the new place, so that will make it difficult in terms of monitoring - I can see there are GSM versions available but not too sure about it and it seems like a big hassle. (I'd just use ADSL2+ and keep the phone line if it comes to that).

Is it hideously expensive? If it's more than I'm prepared to pay a month then that solves all the problems as I'll just rely on it alarming locally to deter people.

Does it have to be monitored by the same company that installed it? It's not active at the moment. Can I get a few quotes for monitoring even if the company didn't install it?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Muchas gracias!
    You can get back to base monitoring via IP, if you only have naked DSL. It's something new being offered via some companies. Otherwise if that's not an option, then as you suggest getting a GSM module and sim card will allow the alarm to talk via mobile network.

You should be able to get back to base monitoring with any company, you might just need to pay a service fee for them to configure the alarm system to do what it's meant too when it does it routine call home. As it will poll back every so often.

I am a big fan of back to base, however, as pointed out. It's only as good as the company who monitors it and the response they provide.

Long time ago I wasn't a fan, but changed my mind when it provides peace of mind when your away from house, or on holidays. Well worth the dollars IMHO.

We have been using B2B in our house and have never had any major trouble with it. It wasnít easy to choose the right option from all the offers of security alarm systems in Melbourne, but it seems like we have finally chosen the right one about half a year ago. Itís not overly expensive, there were no false alarms and basically, itís quite low maintenance. Weíre thinking of installing some wireless cameras now though. I wonder how good they are. Does anyone have them?