Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by opilot87 View Post
    That's good news, to be honest, if Sygic makes some improvements like I was hoping they would (they just wanted to rush it first to the market, and with good reason) and they seem to be, I would probably give the TomTom app a miss.

However, I realllly like the TomTom car mount, and unless it absurdly expensive, I will get one. I am highly doubting the car mount will work with Sygic? What do you guys think, is there any possibility other GPS apps will be able to make use of the TomTom car mount?

Ollie
    I decided to get the DLO vent mount. I suspect that the tomtom mount *will* be absurdly expensive (although it looks just exactly what I would want, something that can be left in place and the phone just dropped into it as needed) and I also suspect that you won't be able to buy it independently of the tomtom software. As to whether it would work with Sygic et al... probably.

Aladdin's Avatar Aladdin is offline Drink Coffee - Do Stupid Things Faster

Quote Originally Posted by kyte View Post
    I decided to get the DLO vent mount. I suspect that the tomtom mount *will* be absurdly expensive (although it looks just exactly what I would want, something that can be left in place and the phone just dropped into it as needed) and I also suspect that you won't be able to buy it independently of the tomtom software. As to whether it would work with Sygic et al... probably.
    I am also looking at getting a DLO VentMount. However, my iPhone lives in a case and would like to know if it will fit into one.

My case is the Griffin Wave case.
    Rise & Shine: the early spoon gets the morning wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I am also looking at getting a DLO VentMount. However, my iPhone lives in a case and would like to know if it will fit into one.

My case is the Griffin Wave case.
    No, it won't allow your case to remain on the phone. In a sense its a case in itself, in that it has a belt clip which slides onto the vent mount. Its OK as a temporary fix but something more suitable like the tomtom hardware really appeals to me.

I dont know much about your case... if its one of those skinny silicon jobs it might fit, but its not designed for it. Its a perfect fit for a naked phone.
    Last edited by kyte; 9th August 2009 at 07:10 AM. Reason: spelling!

Thanks, kyte.

Oh well, will have to cross that off my list, and wait for the TomTom.

I don't fancy removing my iPhone case every time I'm in the car.
    Last edited by Aladdin; 8th August 2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Added acknowledgement.

Where can I get a DLO vent mount in Sydney???

Quote Originally Posted by kche3572 View Post
    Where can I get a DLO vent mount in Sydney???
    I ordered mine from Apple iPhone Car Accessories Car Kits and Holders - Organiser World because they seem to be the only ones that have it. It arrived within 24 hours, but I wasn't home to collect...amazingly, we all work, too, had to wait another day before I could pick up at the courier depot. I was a bit surprised they didn't just stick it in the post. Would have been cheaper and easier all round.

Well, I tested the speed warnings today. I was on fairly major roads and went 5/10/20kms over the limit and received NO warnings at all. I double checked to be certain everything was activated and it was. Its just not working.

So, until they improve the service, its back to Sygic for me, on the iphone. An expensive test, that was.
    I found the same problem. I just convinced itunes to give me a full refund. I pointed out the product didn't work as advertised and that many of the reviews on the app store supported this. And I also sent them a copy of my correspondence with Navigon, where by I clearly explain the problem and all the permutations I've tried to get it to work. The Navigon response was a form letter explaining how to activate the settings....

I was surprised how easy it was...

Go get your money back.

jb
    www.johnbrawley.com
    Cinematographer
    Sydney Australia ==> I have a BLOG

Quote Originally Posted by brawlster View Post
    I found the same problem. I just convinced itunes to give me a full refund. I pointed out the product didn't work as advertised and that many of the reviews on the app store supported this. And I also sent them a copy of my correspondence with Navigon, where by I clearly explain the problem and all the permutations I've tried to get it to work. The Navigon response was a form letter explaining how to activate the settings....

Go get your money back.

jb

Thanks for this post. I'm also going to get my money back. It is really a big disappointment. I was all ready to make the switch to it but it simply isn't good enough and clearly does not match what was advertised.

This would be the first time I try to get a refund, because the amount involved is quite large.

Would you mind detailing how exactly I could get the refund?
    Last edited by eaglesteve2; 9th August 2009 at 04:06 PM.

Just so everyone knows, as I posted in the other thread through the leaked TomTom info, TomTom will be $227 (directly converted) for both the application and the windshield mount.

isn't it upto Navigon to offer a refund?

Go get your money back.

jb

So, until they improve the service, its back to Sygic for me, on the iphone. An expensive test, that was.
    Exactly why not all pirates are immoral, I for one don't have $70 to "trail" an app that turns out to be garbage.
    Mac Mini | 1.42PPC - 512mgRam
    iPhone 3GS | White 32G Three - 1gig d/l
    iPod | White 5G Video - 30gig

I think the key reason for the big difference in quality between Sygic and Navigon is due to the map they use. Navigon uses Navteq, whereas Sygic uses Tele Atlas (the mapping partner in Australia is Sensis). Tom Tom uses Tele Atlas (Sensis) in Australia too. Other GPS using Navteq includes iGO, Copilot, and Garmin, if I'm not mistaken.

In US, I understand that Navteq map is actually better than Tele Atlas according to one review, so it is possible that people in US might prefer Navigon over Sygic. In Europe. I understand that Tele Atlas' map is generally better than Navteq's.

Go get your money back.

jb
    I'm not yet sure I want a refund. I'd be really p'd off if later they released an update which took it beyond Sygic. I think I'll wait. For the moment, Sygic on the phone and Tomtom in the car. When Tomtom release their iPhone app and hardware, I'll rethink the lot. I just want the best I can get. And I currently have more money than sense.

Quote Originally Posted by iphonedev View Post
    isn't it upto Navigon to offer a refund?
    Dunno...

I asked them and all they gave me was their crappy form answer response...i hate it when tech support peeps CLEARLY don't actually read the email you're sending them..

I guess iTunes are the *retail* store, so they are the ones that actually sold me the defective product ? I guess they sort it out with Navigon later ??

jb
    www.johnbrawley.com
    Cinematographer

Here is the response from iTunes Support:

Greetings from the iTunes Customer Support Team. My name is Matt, I'm here to help you today. I understand that the app you purchased does not function as expected.

The developer is the best source of information on the app and troubleshooting it. I recommend that you try to contact the developer again for a refund. If they do not respond in any way please reply to let me know and I will investigate further. I'm sorry for for the frustration this app has caused.

Dunno...

I asked them and all they gave me was their crappy form answer response...i hate it when tech support peeps CLEARLY don't actually read the email you're sending them..

I guess iTunes are the *retail* store, so they are the ones that actually sold me the defective product ? I guess they sort it out with Navigon later ??

jb

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesteve2 View Post
    I think the key reason for the big difference in quality between Sygic and Navigon is due to the map they use. Navigon uses Navteq, whereas Sygic uses Tele Atlas (the mapping partner in Australia is Sensis). Tom Tom uses Tele Atlas (Sensis) in Australia too. Other GPS using Navteq includes iGO, Copilot, and Garmin, if I'm not mistaken.

In US, I understand that Navteq map is actually better than Tele Atlas according to one review, so it is possible that people in US might prefer Navigon over Sygic. In Europe. I understand that Tele Atlas' map is generally better than Navteq's.
    I tried the Navigon app when it was still free. The response time was slightly better than the TomTom GO 730 (which lagged by about 1 second).

However, I found the street names much harder to read on the Navigon app (there isn't much contrast with the background images). Is this a function of the map provider, or the app itself?

i.e. If I buy Copilot which used Navteq maps like Navigon, will I have the same visibility problem with street names?

I think font sizes and colors are controlled by the applications.

When was Navigon free? Perhaps you mean the lite version?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesteve2 View Post
    I think font sizes and colors are controlled by the applications.

When was Navigon free? Perhaps you mean the lite version?
    Yup - it was the lite version I was referring to (which has now disappeared off the store).

Quote Originally Posted by iphonedev View Post
    Here is the response from iTunes Support:

Greetings from the iTunes Customer Support Team. My name is Matt, I'm here to help you today. I understand that the app you purchased does not function as expected.

The developer is the best source of information on the app and troubleshooting it. I recommend that you try to contact the developer again for a refund. If they do not respond in any way please reply to let me know and I will investigate further. I'm sorry for for the frustration this app has caused.
    Had you actually emailed Navigon before you went to iTunes support ?

jb
    www.johnbrawley.com
    Cinematographer

Yep did,but had not mentioned the same in my mail to iTunes support.

I have sent them another email to iTunes Support..Anyways.

Worth a try.

Had you actually emailed Navigon before you went to iTunes support ?

jb

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast