Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 157
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LennyX View Post
    Downloading right now screw TomTom. This is a good one to get with Dick Smith/Target's cheap iTunes gift cards.
    Hi dude have you used the new nav app? i would like to know if its better then sygic? Lag etc etc...

    regards

    mark.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    5,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LennyX View Post
    Downloading right now screw TomTom. This is a good one to get with Dick Smith/Target's cheap iTunes gift cards.
    $69.99 is a whole lot cheaper than we initially thought yeah? I'm getting it too. Sygic is excellent, this will be good, too, and when tomtom comes... well... we will see (thinking I have more money than sense at the moment)

    [edit]
    I've just got home from a run on a familiar road, with Navigon.

    The good:
    1) Pleasant female (UK) voice
    2) Accurate with directions so far
    3) Quick to recalculate routes if you stray
    4) UI is very attractive, more so than Sygic
    5) Ability to create favourites and navigation from contact list
    6) Some lane guidance, and speeding over limit warnings

    The bad:
    1) No way to change the voice
    2) Politeness levels of voice are annoying after about 15 minutes. "Please" prefaces almost every instruction. I expect "please" from people in appropriate circumstances, not from recorded voices on a GPS.
    3) No speed cameras or red light cameras
    4) Lane guidance is ambiguous at times
    5) No choices with colour schemes
    6) Laggy at times, probably a bit more than the current Sygic version

    Because of the time of day and amount of traffic, I was unable to exceed the speed limit so I have no idea what the "audible warning" is, if you go over the speed limit. I'll check it tomorrow.

    If all you are looking for is a navigation aid, its good. If you want more bells and whistles, I guess those will improve in time. This is the first issue after all. Still, I'll be using Sygic for the time being.

    (this is a repost of something I just put in Whirlpool as well)
    Last edited by kyte; 4th August 2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: More information

  3. #23

    Default

    I had downloaded it tonite but haven't got chance to test it. Tomorrow I will test it and hope it is not disppointed me. I also have Sygic and so far so good.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyte View Post
    $69.99 is a whole lot cheaper than we initially thought yeah? I'm getting it too. Sygic is excellent, this will be good, too, and when tomtom comes... well... we will see (thinking I have more money than sense at the moment)
    .
    3) No speed cameras or red light cameras


    Because of the time of day and amount of traffic, I was unable to exceed the speed limit so I have no idea what the "audible warning" is, if you go over the speed limit. I'll check it tomorrow.
    Excellent info Kyte. Thank you.

    The price is for Australia only, whereas Sygic's also include NZ.

    Not having speed camera and red light is disappointing. But then Sygic does not have red light also, and I've yet to see the speed camera working in it.

    Please post back to confirm it has overspeeding audible warning. It does warn visually right?

    Also, can you see if the Southern Cross motel in Berridale is in the map?

    I probably qualify as one of those with more money than sense. Will probably buy this if the feedback is good. I really like the UI.

    Can you compare the volume of the voice between Sygic and Navigon? Which is louder? Or the same?

    Another thing I wish you could tell me is whether the stretch of road leading to the snowy mountain has speed limit kept for the map. Sygic's map does not have speed info for that stretch of road, but I hope Navigon's has it. Overall, are the speed data quite complete and up to date?

    Thanks again mate.


    LOL. Can't wait. Has just bought. Downloading now. What a sucker I am. For almost every software that I end up using, I pay more than one, sometimes up to five in order to find out which is the one I like most. How I wish there is a full feature time limiting trials for all software.
    Last edited by eaglesteve2; 4th August 2009 at 09:36 PM.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sydney, New South Wales
    Posts
    1,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglesteve2 View Post
    How I wish there is a full feature time limiting trials for all software.
    There's an alternative that rhymes with try it. If it works, buy it. If it doesn't, delete it.
    MacBook Unibody 2.4GHz // iPhone 4 32GB (Telstra) // iPad 2 64GB Wifi+3G
    twitter | lifestream | last.fm

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,248

    Default

    Will be buying it today

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    480

    Default

    The only thing that's annoying for me is that it hasn't handled roundabouts very well so far. To go straight ahead I think it told me to bear left and then turn left or something like that

    The interface is pretty nice. I just wish they'd make the menus a lighter colour so the screen's easier to see in bright light. The contacts, favourites and recents lists are great.

    And a lot of shops show as little logos on the map, so McDonald's comes up with a picture of the big 'M', KFC has the KFC logo, Aldi has the Aldi logo, etc. I haven't ever had a standalone GPS unit so I don't know if that's standard, but I think that's pretty cool touch.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Here's a USA based review of it:
    Navigon Mobile Navigator for iPhone GPS Review

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Guys,

    Don't bother buying this. I made a big mistake by doing so last night. It is very far from advertised.

    Yes, the UI is the best in the market. However:
    - There is no legal speed limit information on every single road that I used today.
    - Hence there is no over speeding warning at all.
    - No school zone warning
    - No red light camera warning
    - No Speed camera warning.

    The simulation is only for the few meters just before the destination rather than the entire route. So, you can't use it to check if it can warn you on the presence of a speed camera or not.

    The POI is extremely limited. In Berridale for example, the ski field is just about the only nearby POI. No motel, schools, or other usual POI.

    I am very disappointed with it. As much as I hate Sygic's keyboard and zooming, I'm going back to it now. Sygic's UI is bad but the functionality and data are good. Navigon is the complete opposite. Really poor function and data but first class UI.

    What a total waste of money.

    I hope I'm wrong about it not even being able to warn us for overspeeding. Anyone has success on this?

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,248

    Default

    I was planning to buy it tonight.

    Now after your review,I have to reconsider my decision

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglesteve2 View Post
    Guys,

    Don't bother buying this. I made a big mistake by doing so last night. It is very far from advertised.

    Yes, the UI is the best in the market. However:
    - There is no legal speed limit information on every single road that I used today.
    - Hence there is no over speeding warning at all.
    - No school zone warning
    - No red light camera warning
    - No Speed camera warning.

    The simulation is only for the few meters just before the destination rather than the entire route. So, you can't use it to check if it can warn you on the presence of a speed camera or not.

    The POI is extremely limited. In Berridale for example, the ski field is just about the only nearby POI. No motel, schools, or other usual POI.

    I am very disappointed with it. As much as I hate Sygic's keyboard and zooming, I'm going back to it now. Sygic's UI is bad but the functionality and data are good. Navigon is the complete opposite. Really poor function and data but first class UI.

    What a total waste of money.

    I hope I'm wrong about it not even being able to warn us for overspeeding. Anyone has success on this?

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,248

    Default

    Quick Qn.Do you get the IPhone native keyboard or Navigon keyboard??

    Cheers

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    721

    Default

    You get the iPhone native keyboard making data entry fun.

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglesteve2 View Post
    Guys,


    Yes, the UI is the best in the market. However:
    - There is no legal speed limit information on every single road that I used today.
    - Hence there is no over speeding warning at all.
    - No school zone warning
    - No red light camera warning
    - No Speed camera warning.

    The simulation is only for the few meters just before the destination rather than the entire route. So, you can't use it to check if it can warn you on the presence of a speed camera or not.

    The POI is extremely limited. In Berridale for example, the ski field is just about the only nearby POI. No motel, schools, or other usual POI.

    I am very disappointed with it. As much as I hate Sygic's keyboard and zooming, I'm going back to it now. Sygic's UI is bad but the functionality and data are good. Navigon is the complete opposite. Really poor function and data but first class UI.

    What a total waste of money.

    I hope I'm wrong about it not even being able to warn us for overspeeding. Anyone has success on this?
    I bought it to, but indeed it doesn't seem to have any speed limits in place aside from a few major roads. So the OS warning just isn't there

    Speed cameras aren't there (but i don't think they are advertised?)

    Yeah, it works OK in terms of navigation, but the full features as mentioned just aren't there. POI's are good for me, but I live in Newtwon....

    jb
    www.johnbrawley.com
    Cinematographer
    Sydney Australia ==> I have a BLOG

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    721

    Default

    I have not seen a single road with speed yet. Not even one. I'm talking about Sydney Metropolitan roads here!

    They did advertise that it will warn of speed camera I think, at some websites.
    Last edited by eaglesteve2; 6th August 2009 at 01:13 PM.

  15. #35

    Default

    I totally agree with you!!! I did download it last nite, and tested today. Compared to Sygic, maybe UI is a little bit improved, but rest of it are sooooo poor!!! Don't waste money, I can't beleive, 69.99 is the promotion pricing, I beleive if Sygic is 79.99, this software should be worth less than 50!!!

  16. #36

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Yep. Unless they deliver a map with speed, safety camera, and proper poi at least.

  17. #37

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    5,616

    Default

    Well, I tested the speed warnings today. I was on fairly major roads and went 5/10/20kms over the limit and received NO warnings at all. I double checked to be certain everything was activated and it was. Its just not working.

    So, until they improve the service, its back to Sygic for me, on the iphone. An expensive test, that was.

  18. #38

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyte View Post
    Well, I tested the speed warnings today. I was on fairly major roads and went 5/10/20kms over the limit and received NO warnings at all. I double checked to be certain everything was activated and it was. Its just not working.

    So, until they improve the service, its back to Sygic for me, on the iphone. An expensive test, that was.
    Agree with you.

    Not a single road has the speed limit data in Sydney Metropolitan area, based on my experience so far. What chance does the other part of Australia has. Perhaps there are a few roads where they could demonstrate the speed limit feature but what's the use when only 0.000001 percent of the time you get warned for overspeeding?

    In Sygic, 100% of the road in Sydney has speed limit or very close to it. I have yet to come across one single road that does not have it. The only stretch of road that is without speed info is the one leading to snowy mountain from Canberra, and only a portion of it for that matter.

    So, Sygic is clearly far far better. Sygic has announced in the applestore that they're going to make the map such that it complies with the standard iphone UI. I think they means you could move it, pinch it, stretch it. I hope they also replace the keyboard with the standard. With that, Sygic would be the very best in the market I think.

  19. #39

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglesteve2 View Post

    So, Sygic is clearly far far better. Sygic has announced in the applestore that they're going to make the map such that it complies with the standard iphone UI. I think they means you could move it, pinch it, stretch it. I hope they also replace the keyboard with the standard. With that, Sygic would be the very best in the market I think.
    That's good news, to be honest, if Sygic makes some improvements like I was hoping they would (they just wanted to rush it first to the market, and with good reason) and they seem to be, I would probably give the TomTom app a miss.

    However, I realllly like the TomTom car mount, and unless it absurdly expensive, I will get one. I am highly doubting the car mount will work with Sygic? What do you guys think, is there any possibility other GPS apps will be able to make use of the TomTom car mount?

    Ollie

  20. #40

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    721

    Default

    My guess is it would.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •