Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Brain Fart on Leopard Icons

Hey guys an gals - I cannot recall how one changes the file icons in Leopard back to standard icons for the apps they represent - ie:

So that a Word file looks like a blue striped Word doc / a PowerPoint ppt looks like an orange thang with a pie chart in it... and so forth...

Anyone recall how to flick file icons back to their default appearance?

cheers,

cw

Just set those documents to open with the appropriate program then restart, isn't it?

That's what I've always done when the generic icons start appearing after messing around with applications.
    Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book.

- Cicero (106BC-43BC)

I recall... some"thing" - like a View option, where one could change document icons, back into their normal appearance, before Leopard came along - so that, for instance, with Adobe Reader 9 on-board, PDF files look, once again like red and white documents with a black pretzel in them.

Tried your Restart method - no coconuts.

Ahh! I think I have it! Open a window full of all kinds of documents.
    Control-click and scroll down to: Show View Options.

and in the little window - untick the lowest Show icon preview box and then click the Use as Defaults button at the very bottom!
    Last edited by ClockWork; 29th June 2009 at 07:23 PM.

I think, anywhere in a finder window, you can right click and choose, "Show view options." Then untick the box that says, "Show icon preview."