Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Kzach Guest

    Default $79 cap plan for $69 through Optus

    Ok, so I did a brief search and couldn't see that anyone else had noticed or pointed this out. Having said that, it was a very brief search

    Anyway, a friend of mine who I never thought would ever get an iPhone, despite constantly saying he would, actually got one yesterday. Part of the reason I thought he'd never get one is because he ONLY gets stuff if he can get an unreasonably good deal on it.

    Somehow the lucky bastard just walks into an Optus store and gets an unreasonably good deal without even researching it. Man I hate him sometimes.

    I couldn't believe he'd gotten the details right so I went and checked on the Optus site. Sure enough, he's right and it seems like a really good deal so I thought I'd point it out.

    The deal is a 16GB GS iPhone for a total cost (including handset) of $69 per month. For that you get 1GB data, $610 worth of call credit (the call rates suck but it's still a shitload of calls), $640 worth of Optus2Optus calls and Unlimited text.

    This is the $79 cap plan but Optus have a deal at the moment where you get a $10 rebate per month for 24 months on the contract.

    Optus - Personal - iPhone 3G

    And click on the $79 cap plan.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Link doesn't work, like everything else on the Optus page.

    If this is true, I'm going to be very annoyed, since I signed up on the $79 cap... Does anyone think they'll change it for me?
    Last edited by Chanwa; 28th June 2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Grammar

  3. #3

    Default

    this is true, i can confirm. i signed up on EXACTLY the same deal. Works out 2 dollars more expensive than the $59 cap

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    198

    Default

    It amazes me how people are still interested in Optus as a carrier for the Iphone when everyone has been complaining how rubblish there network is.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stewy38 View Post
    It amazes me how people are still interested in Optus as a carrier for the Iphone when everyone has been complaining how rubblish there network is.
    I live in a regional area. If I want 3G my choice is Optus/Virgin or Telstra, I can't afford Telstras pricing (I use my phone a lot, so a cap is best for me)... So even though I get "No Service" every now & then, it's better than no 3G or have an awesome phone & a massive phone bill to go along with it

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    An Airport, Somewhere
    Posts
    1,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chanwa View Post
    I live in a regional area. If I want 3G my choice is Optus/Virgin or Telstra, I can't afford Telstras pricing (I use my phone a lot, so a cap is best for me)... So even though I get "No Service" every now & then, it's better than no 3G or have an awesome phone & a massive phone bill to go along with it

    Optus are doing 3G on the 900mHz band only in regional areas. If you're in an area where Optus are doing 2100mHz 3G, chances are you'll be in a Voda coverage area too. Voda's plans are now very competitive with Optus, and you're not going to have to deal with the shit network.

    Your location just says VIC so I'd be surprise if Voda had no 3G where Optus has 2100mHz coverage (the iPhone can't do 3G on 900mHz, just 850/2100 for Australia).
    "Some say, that if you hold him in the wrong way, he doesn't work properly..."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chanwa View Post
    (I use my phone a lot, so a cap is best for me)... So even though I get "No Service" every now & then, it's better than no 3G or have an awesome phone & a massive phone bill to go along with it
    Seriously I am in two minds whether to stick with Telstra or look at either Vodafone or Optus.
    But I use the Memo service ( Call Answer Service ) as well and I am not sure whether Optus or Vodafone with what they have will work as I have not been with either

    I know Telstra plans cost a bomb, But I do go away a lot and Telstra network does work where I go.

    I have mate who just been out Cowra for weekend away and he said that he no signal from his phone and thats with Vodafone.

    How good is either Optus or Vodafone network for the Iphone.

    I may consider either of them on a cap plan.
    Last edited by stewy38; 28th June 2009 at 05:10 PM.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drewbles View Post
    Optus are doing 3G on the 900mHz band only in regional areas. If you're in an area where Optus are doing 2100mHz 3G, chances are you'll be in a Voda coverage area too. Voda's plans are now very competitive with Optus, and you're not going to have to deal with the shit network.

    Your location just says VIC so I'd be surprise if Voda had no 3G where Optus has 2100mHz coverage (the iPhone can't do 3G on 900mHz, just 850/2100 for Australia).
    The area in which I live (Mildura) was only upgraded to Optus 3G at the same time as iPhone 3G launch. Voda won't be here till August sometime. & even then it looks like only 900.

    Pretty much everyone here is on Telstra, like all other country folk.

    I don't really find the network to be too bad here, because everyone's on Telstra. I did have No Service issues two weeks ago, happened four times in a week. But aside from that I've never had a problem with Optus, even when I was in Melbourne.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •