Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nando View Post
    Same here...another reason now why i will not upgrade..
    *the prices are not that all enticing,
    *if you dont play much games then there isnt much a speed advantage..
    *dont really drive that much that it warrants the usage of voice dialing
    *dont really do video...(though i admit is nice) but not enough nice to upgrade

so i'll stick with my 3g till 2010..for the newer release of the iphone...
    Yup you read my mind. For my purposes it is basically a faster phone that looks the same as the previous version. Happy to keep over 1K in the pocket and wait a year for 'new' looking phone.

Also this tethering surcharge is a real money grab. I couldn't wait for tethering and got the $19/month wireless broadband with Optus last year for 1GB. That is better value.

Quote Originally Posted by chrish3677 View Post
    What I want to know though is how much the iPhone 3G 8GB is going to drop down to. In the US they dropped quite a bit.

Anyone know what the Aussie carriers are doing yet?
    The iPhone 3G 8GB hasn't really dropped that much, if anything at all.

It's $828 on a $19/month plan over 12 months, unlocked.
    It was $799, pre-paid, locked.

Alternatively, it's $59/month, over 24 months, with no up front costs. It's a pretty sweet deal.

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    Alternatively, it's $59/month, over 12 months, with no up front costs. It's a pretty sweet deal.
    Over 24 months you mean? Otherwise the TCO is $708, which by current standards is a huge bargain!

Yeah these plans have just made my decision regarding the network even easier... Cya Optus thx for wasting my entire year with crappy coverage, reception and network speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    The iPhone 3G 8GB hasn't really dropped that much, if anything at all.

It's $828 on a $19/month plan over 12 months, unlocked.
    It was $799, pre-paid, locked.

Alternatively, it's $59/month, over 12 months, with no up front costs. It's a pretty sweet deal.
    I got mine for $41 or $42 per month(phone +plan) all up with Optus for 24 month contract which makes it $984 all up. They bumped down the lowest prices by about $1-2 per month. The 12 month 8GB for $828 and 32G for $1140 is probably best value.

I wonder what the outright price will be if they even decide to offer this(with no contract and not locked in). It may well be again that the lowest Optus plan price may be cheaper than any outright pricing.

Gizmodo are reporting that the if you take the $99 Timeless plan with the $15 internet pack, you get the $15 credited back every month, as long as it's within the 24 month contract. It actually sounds like a good deal - unlimited calls and 1.5GB data (inc tethering) for $99.

"The jewel in the crown: a $99 ‘Yes’ Timeless Plan with unlimited standard national calls and text, 1.5GB of mobile internet browsing, tethering included.
    It’s slightly more complicated than just that $99 monthly fee over 24 months. It’s only available for customers signing up to the $99 iPhone 3GS plan who take the $15 monthly Mobile Internet pack, although that $15 a month fee is credited back each month. After your 24 month contract is up, you’ll start paying the $15 again though."

Optus iPhone 3GS Pricing Revealed | Gizmodo Australia

Quote Originally Posted by jaredtomas View Post
    This was outlined in the 'leaked' pricing, which was fake.
    The Optus staff at the 'Happy Place' in Sydney are telling customers they will be releasing upgrade pricing on either Wed / Thurs.

Optus Happy Place
    I am the tech savvy at-risk youth.

Mmmmmm very intersting. I have all ready had the calculator out crunching the numbers. So far, the $99 yes timeless plan sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by wmyeoh View Post
    It’s only available for customers signing up to the $99 iPhone 3GS plan who take the $15 monthly Mobile Internet pack, although that $15 a month fee is credited back each month. After your 24 month contract is up, you’ll start paying the $15 again though.
    That sounds like a smart way to hold customers when their contract is up (NOT!).

Quote Originally Posted by manooka View Post
    This is disappointing. I thought the 32GB and 16GB were going to keep the same price points as the old 16GB and 8GB. That what Apple had announced.
    That was in America, and for comparison, our closest plan to their minimum is the $79 Cap, on which the 16GB is $72 AUD and the 32GB is $240.

We pay less for the phone than what Apple announced in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    That sounds like a smart way to hold customers when their contract is up (NOT!).
    I guess they think that their customers will initiate a new contract with a snazzier new model. But it is a weird way to do business.

I noticed in the T & C that they also charge a $1 fee for ordering the phone online, which gets credited back during the first bill. Weird people, Optus.

Quote Originally Posted by wmyeoh View Post
    I noticed in the T & C that they also charge a $1 fee for ordering the phone online, which gets credited back during the first bill. Weird people, Optus.
    That's normal practice for testing the credit card or something like that.

Numbers '09 users can try this:
    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

Put your usage in the first sheet (having a past bill would help), pick a phone and payment method (up front or monthly), then look at what you'll be charged on each plan on the second sheet, use Numbers' normal table functions to sort ascending and the cheapest plan will be on the top.

Doesn't take into account 'Yes time' or 'Free for 5'.

PS: I have no idea how well this will work. There is some custom cell formating (data for example) and I don't know if this is saved in the file or on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoRicen View Post
    Numbers '09 users can try this:
    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

Put your usage in the first sheet (having a past bill would help), pick a phone and payment method (up front or monthly), then look at what you'll be charged on each plan on the second sheet, use Numbers' normal table functions to sort ascending and the cheapest plan will be on the top.

PS: I have no idea how well this will work. There is some custom cell formating (data for example) and I don't know if this is saved in the file or on my computer.
    Worked fine for me. Thanks.

Not good enough! Your standards are slipping!

TBH, this debacle has pushed me over to analysing the value offered on Telstra's NextG cap plans and business fleet plans. At this stage, only insanely high outright costs or restrictive contract terms could stop us from switching our iPhone services to Telstra (or 3 or Voda coming to the party).

Quote Originally Posted by OziMac View Post
    At this stage, only insanely high outright costs or restrictive contract terms could stop us from switching our iPhone services to Telstra (or 3 or Voda coming to the party).
    Judging by Optus not dropping their pricing that much on the older model and introducing the 32GB at higher price points, I'd say the outright prices are now likely to look something like:

8GB 3G: $699
    16GB 3GS: $849
    32GB 3GS: $999

Even that might be generous...

Quote Originally Posted by ricochet View Post
    Judging by Optus not dropping their pricing that much on the older model and introducing the 32GB at higher price points, I'd say the outright prices are now likely to look something like:

8GB 3G: $699
    16GB 3GS: $849
    32GB 3GS: $999

Even that might be generous...
    It doesn't look like they're doing outright prices.

Someone will eventually offer them prepaid/outright though - I'm just estimating what sort of prices they are trying to recoup in the composition of their plans.

I was referring to Telstra - and I reckon that ricochet's prices are even then too generous. Probably add $100 to each one I'd think.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast