Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Apple's SSD - worth the upgrade?

Hi guys, looking to pickup a new 2.8 MBP with my ADC discount and am pondering whether the 128gb SSD option is worth it? Its only an extra A$260 with the discount.
    Whilst the consensus is that the Intel and OCZ Vertex drives are the best in the market, they are also the most expensive, and with the SATA cap at 1.5gb, is it money wasted?
    You also get half the storage of the 128gb drive
    So basically I am just looking for thoughts on whether you think the Apple SSD is worth getting both price and performance wise?

Many thanks

even if it cost extra $260, at this time they are not worth enough (too costly for 128GB,you can't use full speed of the SSD due to 1.5Gbps limit)

Just wait for a year the prices will come down
    MBP 2.4g 4g 128g
    nano gggggg 8g
    http://technewsonnet.com/

if you can get a 128GB SSD for $260 id go for it, an OCZ 128GB is $600+
    Mac Pro Dual Xeon 2.8GHz Quad, 6GB Ram, 128GB SSD+320GB+3x1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX285, Mac OS X 10.7
    My Flickr | Portfolio/Photoblog

Quote Originally Posted by Phunky View Post
    Hi guys, looking to pickup a new 2.8 MBP with my ADC discount and am pondering whether the 128gb SSD option is worth it? Its only an extra A$260 with the discount.
    Whilst the consensus is that the Intel and OCZ Vertex drives are the best in the market, they are also the most expensive, and with the SATA cap at 1.5gb, is it money wasted?
    You also get half the storage of the 128gb drive
    So basically I am just looking for thoughts on whether you think the Apple SSD is worth getting both price and performance wise?

Many thanks
    Performance, no, price depends....

if you are using in a rugged environment, , i.e. like bouncing around in the back of truck and aircraft all the time, then yes, as it wont damage the hard drive, the speed of such drives and capacity is still low next to hard disk drives of the magnetic kind. So if you are not going to bounce around in a jumpy castle with it all day long, SSD's are not worth it right now for 90% of people who just have them on , sitting on a desk, stable all day.
    visit my blog.......
    Follow my twitter at http://twitter.com/normandy_sr2
    Follow my PING @ Normandy SR2

Nah I'll just be using it on the couch really
    Ive looked at all the other options including the Intels, OCZ, G.Skill, Patriot, and the price is still pretty steep
    I think I will just get the 128gb ssd from apple for now since theres quite a large discount built in, and then upgrade down the track when the latest gen ssds come out later in the year
    The technology is advancing so quickly, buying a top of the range ssd now would mean it will be replaced pretty quickly by another product anyway

For those interested
    Corsair 128GB SSD in Macbook Pro - Mac Forums
    (The corsair is a rebadged samsung which is the one that comes with the mbp)

The effect of SATA-I on an Intel X25-M :o

Ouch.

St Cornelius Guest

I would go for it. Depends on what you really will use it for. Not overly necessary if your just going to perform common tasks.