Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Want to play with a Wide Area Bonjour service?

If you have more than one Mac and you'd like to use services (file shares, screen sharing, etc) on them when they're not on the same local network, Wide Area Bonjour might be a good fit for you. I've been building a service that takes care of the DNS side of things and am looking for a tester or two. If you're interested please send me a PM.

In the latest round of bug fixes I've added a registration limit so if you'd like to try it out, just head over to Global Hostname and register. If you don't have a domain name to play with, feel free to use 'yourchoice.globalhostname.org'.

The limit on registrations is solely to keep it manageable whilst the service goes through growing pains. On that note - if you've been using a <something>.globalhostname.org zone, a fix was pushed this morning that resolves a few issues.

Cheers
    Last edited by teej; 21st June 2009 at 09:17 PM.

Yeah..... I am using a dial in VPN at the moment, but I have to manually afp:// to each computer.

Back to my mac is so up and down it's a joke!

I would be interested in testing out your service, but I don't know a whole heap about bonjour and how it works.

Cheers

Cheers

Thanks for volunteering Peter_Pan

I'll send out some details to yourself and the other folks who've PM'd me tomorrow morning.

In case anyone's put off by not knowing about Bonjour/DNS don't worry, you hopefully won't have to do much more than register on a website and then put some details into the 'Computer Name' section of the Sharing system preferences

Is it too late to volunteer to be guinea pigs? I notice my AirPort Express supports wide area bonjour - printing to home from school would be neat =p
    MacBook Unibody 2.4GHz // iPhone 4 32GB (Telstra) // iPad 2 64GB Wifi+3G
    twitter | lifestream | last.fm

I'd be interested - I've got an Airport Extreme that's got it enabled.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Is it too late to volunteer to be guinea pigs? I notice my AirPort Express supports wide area bonjour - printing to home from school would be neat =p
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutze View Post
    I'd be interested - I've got an Airport Extreme that's got it enabled.
    Unfortunately the Airport firmware/utility seems to be broken when it comes to setting up Wide Area Bonjour If you'd like to give it a go anyway just let me know but it will probably be an exercise in frustration.

I've opened up registrations a little - see the first post.

Sooo... what kinds of things is Wide Area Bonjour useful for?

Quote Originally Posted by bennyling View Post
    Sooo... what kinds of things is Wide Area Bonjour useful for?
    Fair question and one that I'm not sure I have a succinct answer for yet

Bonjour let's software discover network services. Some examples of where it's used in OS X are File Sharing, Printer Sharing, Screen Sharing, Remote Login and iTunes Library sharing (although that's wide-area disabled). Safari will also discover web servers. Outside of Apple's software, in general if it's a native OS X app and it uses the network in someway it probably has some Bonjour discovery functionality the majority of file transfer and chat apps certainly do.

I use it in a number of ways but for me the killer use is remotely accessing my iMac from my MBP. Wide Area Bonjour means the iMac shows up in Finder for file sharing/remote desktop seamlessly regardless of what network my laptop's connected to.

Hope that give you an idea of what it's useful for

Definitely something I am interested in. I am assuming this sets up a sort of VPN between the computers.

Is this limited to programs that have Bonjour support built in? Or once a Wide Area Bonjour network (WABN) is established, will it work like a VPN where all networking services will work as if physically connected. EG: Gaming for example. Games probably wont have Bonjour support built in, but once the WABN is established, will they work the same as if the computers were networked?

I will be signing up when I get home tonight.
    ** iMac 3.4ghz QCi7, 16GB RAM, 4TB SSHD, 500GB SSD, 6970 2GB **
    ** MacBook Pro. C2D 2.2ghz, 4gb RAM, 480gb SSD, 8600M GT 128mb **
    ** G5 Dual 2ghz, 4gb RAM, 750gb HD, 6800 Ultra DDL 256mb & XServe RAID 7TB**

WAB takes care of making a service accessible and discoverable by setting up port-forwarding (most routers with NAT-PMP or uPnP are supported) and then publishing a series of DNS records advertising the service type, IP address, port and any other miscellaneous information needed to connect to the service. Unfortunately this doesn't help with clients that aren't Bonjour aware (servers don't necessarily need to be Bonjour aware) so it won't help unless the game has support built-in.

For those interested there's a good video on Google Video as well as more information on DNS-SD.org that go in to further depth.

This looks awesome, but I think I'm going to need some help setting it up with my domain... :|
    adamd
    iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod nano, iPod Touch, iPod mini, G3+G4 iMac, G4 PowerMac

It does look awesome. I've just registered on the website.
    2012 Mac Mini 2.6 w/ 1TB Fusion Drive & 16GB RAM, Dell U2713HM Monitor | 15" MBP Unibody 2.66 | iPhone 5s Space Gray 32GB on Vodafone & iPhone 5 Black | iPad Retina (3rd Gen) on Vodafone | AppleTV 3 | Original Airport Express

Quote Originally Posted by adamd View Post
    This looks awesome, but I think I'm going to need some help setting it up with my domain... :|
    No worries I'm happy to help you can reach me via contact@globalhostname.com. For most people setting up Global Hostname with your own domain is a matter of picking a name for your Bonjour zone (eg: bonjour.mydomain.com) and creating two NS records with that name which point to the GlobalHostname DNS servers.

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa View Post
    It does look awesome. I've just registered on the website.
    Cool let me know if there's anything I can do to help you get started or to improve the site

Quote Originally Posted by teej View Post
    No worries I'm happy to help you can reach me via contact@globalhostname.com. For most people setting up Global Hostname with your own domain is a matter of picking a name for your Bonjour zone (eg: bonjour.mydomain.com) and creating two NS records with that name which point to the GlobalHostname DNS servers.

Cool let me know if there's anything I can do to help you get started or to improve the site
    I'm going to need help with that bit... Trying to set up a subdomain of i3network.net, but I need an IP address to point it to.. Cant find the NS records for it
    adamd
    iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod nano, iPod Touch, iPod mini, G3+G4 iMac, G4 PowerMac

I'm going to need help with that bit... Trying to set up a subdomain of i3network.net, but I need an IP address to point it to.. Cant find the NS records for it
    Sure two NS records need to be created named whatever your Bonjour zone is called (eg: 'bonjour.example.com.') that point to 'wabns1.globalhostname.com.' and 'wabns2.globalhostname.com.'. A bind configuration would look like:
    Code:
    bonjour.example.com. 3600 IN NS wabns1.globalhostname.com. 
    bonjour.example.com. 3600 IN NS wabns2.globalhostname.com.
    In the above, the first column is the record name (some web interfaces will force you truncate it to just bonjour), the second column is the TTL, third is the type of record and the last is the record data. Some web interfaces get a bit funky about the dots on the end so if it says an invalid name try taking the dot off the end. Similarly, some won't like having a TTL that low, just bump it up till it accepts it.

Quote Originally Posted by teej View Post
    Sure two NS records need to be created named whatever your Bonjour zone is called (eg: 'bonjour.example.com.') that point to 'wabns1.globalhostname.com.' and 'wabns2.globalhostname.com.'. A bind configuration would look like:
    Code:
    bonjour.example.com. 3600 IN NS wabns1.globalhostname.com. 
    bonjour.example.com. 3600 IN NS wabns2.globalhostname.com.
    In the above, the first column is the record name (some web interfaces will force you truncate it to just bonjour), the second column is the TTL, third is the type of record and the last is the record data. Some web interfaces get a bit funky about the dots on the end so if it says an invalid name try taking the dot off the end. Similarly, some won't like having a TTL that low, just bump it up till it accepts it.
    I can only get to the A-Records for my domain name... I'm guessing I might be looking in the wrong place.. Starting a chat with my host now..
    adamd

I can only get to the A-Records for my domain name... I'm guessing I might be looking in the wrong place.. Starting a chat with my host now..
    A records means you're looking at your DNS host. You need to look at your domain registrar's site (which could be the same company).
    2012 Mac Mini 2.6 w/ 1TB Fusion Drive & 16GB RAM, Dell U2713HM Monitor | 15" MBP Unibody 2.66 | iPhone 5s Space Gray 32GB on Vodafone & iPhone 5 Black | iPad Retina (3rd Gen) on Vodafone | AppleTV 3 | Original Airport Express

I've opened 10 more spots on Global Hostname for anyone who'd like to try it out.

If you run into any bugs, would like a feature added, etc please email contact@globalhostname.com.

i dont have more than one Mac but very interested in this idea when i do. how do you connect to your second Mac while away from your local network? do you enter an IP address in Finder's Connect to Server and get a generic icon in Finder, or is it all automatic and your Mac will still be viewable in Finder with a little Mac icon?
    Hackintosh Core i5 750, 4GB, 1.5TB, 4870 1GB; 23" ACD; Snow Leopard
    15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast