Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Found some pricing, pics and a vid of the Tom Tom on a UK site. Release date of Sept 8 was suggested on another forum I frequent.

Buy TomTom for iPhone inc Mount Reviews

VIDEO NO WORKY

Quote Originally Posted by Daz7 View Post
    Found some pricing, pics and a vid of the Tom Tom on a UK site. Release date of Sept 8 was suggested on another forum I frequent.

I wonder if they (there or here) will sell the hardware as a separate item, of if you will have to have some proof of purchase of the app.

Will the Tom Tom run on GPS or on phone towers in Australia? Do we enven have GPS turned on in the Oz spec iphones, I remember way back when they were launched that we didn't get something GPS related but I haven't had to think it about that until now.

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Daz7 View Post

VIDEO NO WORKY
    113!!!! You might as well buy a stand alone GPS. Probably work better anyway.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

Quote Originally Posted by dave-k View Post
    Will the Tom Tom run on GPS or on phone towers in Australia? Do we enven have GPS turned on in the Oz spec iphones, I remember way back when they were launched that we didn't get something GPS related but I haven't had to think it about that until now.
    Err, not too sure what you're reading, but the iPhone uses both GPS and mobile towers. It's Egypt that doesn't have the GPS enabled in iPhones.

I thought apps like 'around me' and 'google maps' only used phone towers here in Australia. Is that wrong?

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Yes.

I use the Sygic GPS app almost every day so yes GPS works!

Quote Originally Posted by motef View Post
    I use the Sygic GPS app almost every day so yes GPS works!
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    113!!!! You might as well buy a stand alone GPS. Probably work better anyway.
    +1. Insane pricing.

I hope TT doesn't turn out to be just a port from other platform with crappy user interface again but expecting premium pricing.
    Last edited by eaglesteve2; 5th August 2009 at 06:38 AM.

I thought apps like 'around me' and 'google maps' only used phone towers here in Australia. Is that wrong?
    Yes, it's worng.

The iPhone 3G and 3GS use assisted GPS. This means that it will get a quick rough lock using phone towers in order to speed up getting a real GPS lock.

If no phone towers are available it will still get a GPS lock. It just takes longer.

I think we're all a little sick of answering this question.

But will a Tomtom app use any data or call costs?

Apart from the initial purchase and perhaps map upgrades will there be any ongoing cost to use it?

If I travel OS, turn off data roaming and have no phone coverage will I be able to use Tomtom?

Quote Originally Posted by jacke View Post
    If I travel OS, turn off data roaming and have no phone coverage will I be able to use Tomtom?
    I guess Yes, as it only needs GPS as the maps will be installed and no data needed for GPS.
    twitter | flickr | Blog | My Website
    20" Aluminium iMac 16GB White iPhone Black MacBook Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by jacke View Post
    But will a Tomtom app use any data or call costs?
    Unless TomTom are doing something unusual, no. It wont need a data connection to work.

Without a data connection it will generally take longer to get a GPS lock since it's not going to be able to use assisted GPS.

Why wait for TomTom GPS when you can already use xGPS* on your iPhone for free?

It's great and I use it all the time. With xGPS Manager (also free) you can download whole areas/towns for offline use. I did this on my recent trip around Europe which must have saved me a small fortune in roaming charges.

Try it, you won't be disappointed...

xGPS

*JailBreaking required...

Don't know about the iphone version since it is not out yet. But in the window mobile vesion, there are some OPTIONAL features in TomTom (which most people do not use) which requires internet connections. Examples of such service include that for users to report mobile police radar to a central server and for users to be warned of such moving speed cameras.

The CORE functions and features would not require internet connection.

I was in DSE the other day, a nice widescreen GPS was like $248 I think. Tom Tom would probably need to be significantly cheaper as if you have to buy hardware anyway, you might as well just buy a real one.

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

It would depend on the feature set of the software wouldn't it? If it was the same as the software of the bottom of the range tomtom, well a close price would risk people not buying it over a dedicated unit. But if it had voice input etc that is only available in high spec units over $500, it might be a whole new ball game.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

Quote Originally Posted by iGOOSE View Post
    Why bother with wasting 8 hours a night sleeping when you can already be super-active for 24 hours a day*

*Speed Required.
    MBP 2.4GHz | 4GB | 160GB + 500GB Little Big Disk Quadra | 17" + 20" ACD | BT600
    Mac Mini 2GHz | 4GB | 120GB + 1000GB d2 Quadra + 500GB d2 Quadra + 4000GB Biggest Quadra (TM)
    Linksys AM300 | Airport Extreme Dual Band | AppleTV 40GB

Quote Originally Posted by iGOOSE View Post

It's great and I use it all the time. With xGPS Manager (also free) you can download whole areas/towns for offline use. I did this on my recent trip around Europe which must have saved me a small fortune in roaming charges.

Try it, you won't be disappointed...

xGPS

I've already tried it.

The route calculation does not make sense in many cases. It appears to be using cell-tower location which put your present location at the wrong place. It does not have speed data for the road. It is unable to warn you for overspeeding. It does not even show the correct speed. It does not warn you when approach a speed camera. It does not warn on approaching the red light camera... It requires GPS. EVen if you download it before hand, the effort for doing so makes it not worthwhile using.. The list is too long.

Bottom line is xGPS does not cut it as a proper navigation software.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7