Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default iBook G4 Hard Drive

Hi

I have got an iBook G4 800 MHz with a faulty 30gb HD

I put in a windows-formatted 20gb directly from an old windows notebook.

In the install cd disk utlity won't recognise it neither will system profiler

I am 100% sure the hard drive is correctly installed

My question is. is there a chance this hard drive is incompatible with the iBook G4 or is there a way i can get it to recognize it?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Ok. When you bought the drive, did you make sure it was an IDE drive and not a SATA drive?
    If it is a SATA drive it will certainly not work. If it is a IDE drive it should work, but I have no idea why it's not working! Sorry
    "When you kill a cow you gotta make a Burger"

Carl needs more clues. Firstly, all iBooks use standard 44-pin IDE, secondly you cannot get a SATA hard drive smaller than 80 GB no matter what size, and thirdly the OP said he plundered a drive from an old Windows machine.

Gizmo: once you have booted your OSX Install disc, launch Disk Utility. If the drive does not appear as a physical device in the left panel, there is either something wrong with the drive, something wrong with the cable (they're fragile buggers) or the IDE controller on the iBook's logicboard is sick.

Guys, on this I have an Ibook G4 20 G HDD, 1.33 Mhz with 512 SSDDR ram, ( this machine) that the touch pad and I suspect mouse doesn't work on, I've been told that to fix it would require a new HDD and would cost more than it's worth, is that correct ?, I currently use a mouse through a USB port and at the risk of being patronising think that this is great little "box"

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Hi DadsArmy,

a replacement 2.5" IDE hard disk can cost $20 (second hand 20 gigger) to the cheapest new ~ $70 (60 - 80GB), so with the iBook being worth a couple of hundred it's definately worth it to replace the HD on.

JB

JB, Cheers Mate, next dumb question who would I get to do it ?