Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    adl
    Posts
    349

    Default so i forgot to buy applecare (mbp early 2008)

    somehow i got it in my head i had until june/july to buy it, and just recently checked with the online thingo and got the bad news.

    checked my invoice and noticed i actually bought my mbp in early april.

    what are my chances of sweet talking apple into letting me register if i buy?

    heard its possible if you're a few days over, but 2 months?

    already had a logic board replaced and used to get the nvidia chip problem, have problems on boot where i have to disconnect all peripherals for it to actually boot, and even then it takes ages to go from grey screen after the gong to apple logo (FS issue?)

    pretty annoyed now as if i get any hardware issue im screwed as far as repairs go, i also believe NB did a shithouse job in replacing the logic board, CPU runs at 75deg even in winter! never ran that hot before logicb replacement.
    17" MacBook Pro core i7, 32Gig iPhone 3Gs, 32Gig iPad

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sydney, New South Wales
    Posts
    1,969

    Default

    Unless you're extremely lucky, no, they won't let you register AppleCare. However, if your MacBook is one of the shoddy Nvidia GPU affected units, they've extended warranties for up to three years, so if that breaks, Apple should cover it.
    AppleInsider | Apple extends old MacBook Pro graphics warranty to three years
    MacBook Unibody 2.4GHz // iPhone 4 32GB (Telstra) // iPad 2 64GB Wifi+3G
    twitter | lifestream | last.fm

  3. #3

    Default

    Yes, I doubt they will activate an APP. EVERYONE MAKE SURE THEY HAVE THEIR APP ACTIVATED. I don't but I have until July for MacBook and October for iMac...or do I??

  4. #4

    Default

    You snooze - you lose

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    seaford.vic.au
    Posts
    2,043

    Default

    Optional Extended warranties should be illegal. Disgusting practice, IMHO.
    [B]| Flickr | blog | MacTalk Podcaster | Official PM-Bid Hater #1

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Castlemaine area.
    Posts
    3,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arkenstone View Post
    Optional Extended warranties should be illegal. Disgusting practice, IMHO.
    Many people only keep a laptop for a year and roll it over at the end of that period.

    If a 3 year warranty was standard then the base cost of the laptop would be higher (to pay for that warranty cost) which means that people with quicker turnover would be subsidizing those who chose to keep their equipment longer.

    The way it is at the moment people have a choice and if you choose to keep your equipment longer and you want a warranty you pay that cost (and not the people who no longer even have the equipment).

    Laptops aren't a social service with universal obligation where everyone should 'get a fair go', they are (depending upon use) either a business tool or a teaching tool or a luxury (home users can use cheaper desktop machines if they have $ issues).
    iPad Mini 4 128Gb 4G | iPhone 6 64GB | MacBook Pro 13" i5 2.4GHz Retina | Mac Mini i5 | Apple TV 3 |

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arkenstone View Post
    Optional Extended warranties should be illegal. Disgusting practice, IMHO.
    I see no reason why people can't pay for an extra warranty if they want one?

    Perhaps the de-facto 12 month warranty should be bumped to 3 years instead. Be prepared to pay more for your gear to cover this fact though.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    seaford.vic.au
    Posts
    2,043

    Default

    I see your point, I just find it somewhat offensive that the faith a manufacturer puts in the robustness of their product is directly proportional to how much I pay.
    [B]| Flickr | blog | MacTalk Podcaster | Official PM-Bid Hater #1

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arkenstone View Post
    I see your point, I just find it somewhat offensive that the faith a manufacturer puts in the robustness of their product is directly proportional to how much I pay.
    Well - cheap crappy products = cheap to make which are cheap to sell. High quality, long lasting products cost more to make, which cost more to sell. Pay more = better product.

    It's not always true, but for general manufacturing quality, if you go for the lowest bidder, chances are it will be of the lowest quality. Technological advances mean that manufacturing quality can increase while the price is low, but there will always be shortcuts or lower-grade materials that lower the price.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    52

    Default No sweet talk

    I have an iPod classic 160Gb at the time I realised I was 10 days out of warranty (still within the month), no issues but wanted to extend the warranty - $89 but no sweet talk or reasoning would get Apple to budge. I thought just the fact of me parting with the hard earned dough to their hot hands would be just enough to sway them but alas NO!! BTW The iPod is still going sweet - fortunately.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia ;)
    Posts
    3,182

    Default

    Statutory warranty is 12 months, although lots of things sell with a 2, 3, 5 or even 10 year warranty depending on what the manufacturer wants to offer.

    There is no reason why Apple couldn't make the "standard" 2 or 3 years, but as has been said, it would add to the cost of the unit itself (unless they felt the need to be really nice to everyone).
    Many Shiny Toys with Apple Logos | Some Microsoft Toys too
    If it has an engine or a heartbeat it's going to cost you.
    Drive a VW?

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    seaford.vic.au
    Posts
    2,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by decryption View Post
    Well - cheap crappy products = cheap to make which are cheap to sell. High quality, long lasting products cost more to make, which cost more to sell. Pay more = better product.
    Aha! But it's the exact same product!

    Further more, If 11 months down the line I decide I want my laptop to last another two years I can pay then. It's bizarre.
    [B]| Flickr | blog | MacTalk Podcaster | Official PM-Bid Hater #1

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arkenstone View Post
    I see your point, I just find it somewhat offensive that the faith a manufacturer puts in the robustness of their product is directly proportional to how much I pay.
    It's not just the parts of the product manufactured by Apple which can fail, though; Apple sources a large number of parts (Capacitors, RAM, Numerous items of circuitry, Hard Disks et.al.) from other manufacturers. As seen with the G5 iMacs, dodgy Caps can rear their ugly heads down the track, and that was an issue caused by the Taiwanese manufacturer IIRC. Likewise with the expanding batteries on the Powerbooks.

    Apple can restore customer faith in it's products by offering extended warranties on parts which have widespread failure, but for isolated issues of hardware failure you are always better to have APP to back you up.
    1.0Ghz 15" TiBook, MBP 13" 2.4/4/256, MBA 13" 2013 1.7/8/128 SSD, 1st Gen 5GB iPod (mint condition), 2nd Gen 10GB iPod, iPod video, nano and shuffle, iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    Statutory warranty is 12 months, although lots of things sell with a 2, 3, 5 or even 10 year warranty depending on what the manufacturer wants to offer.

    There is no reason why Apple couldn't make the "standard" 2 or 3 years, but as has been said, it would add to the cost of the unit itself (unless they felt the need to be really nice to everyone).
    Statutory warranty isn't 12 months. Here in Australia there is a term implied in every contract of sale that the goods are of merchantable quality and are fit for purpose. If your computer is DOA that's a clear breach of the implied term. If it breaks down after a year it's not so clear, but there's a decent enough argument that a $3000 computer should last more than a year (and maybe even three) under normal use.

    The thing I don't like about extended warranties of any kind is that they make consumers believe that they only have a remedy if they buy the extended warranty. They're saying, "If you pay this money now, we'll do what we're probably legally obliged to do anyway without you having to take us to court. If you don't pay the money, we won't even consider what our actual obligations are, because we know you can't afford to sue us."

    Like everybody else I can't really afford to sue Apple or my local reseller either, so I know extended warranties can be useful (though they're not always good value), but they do have an unfortunate effect on consumer expectations and I think people should be aware of what the real obligations are, just in case they want to investigate the Small Claims Court or even write letters/make phone calls in the knowledge that they have more rights than are written down.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peterjcat View Post
    Statutory warranty isn't 12 months. Here in Australia there is a term implied in every contract of sale that the goods are of merchantable quality and are fit for purpose. If your computer is DOA that's a clear breach of the implied term. If it breaks down after a year it's not so clear, but there's a decent enough argument that a $3000 computer should last more than a year (and maybe even three) under normal use.

    The thing I don't like about extended warranties of any kind is that they make consumers believe that they only have a remedy if they buy the extended warranty. They're saying, "If you pay this money now, we'll do what we're probably legally obliged to do anyway without you having to take us to court. If you don't pay the money, we won't even consider what our actual obligations are, because we know you can't afford to sue us."

    Like everybody else I can't really afford to sue Apple or my local reseller either, so I know extended warranties can be useful (though they're not always good value), but they do have an unfortunate effect on consumer expectations and I think people should be aware of what the real obligations are, just in case they want to investigate the Small Claims Court or even write letters/make phone calls in the knowledge that they have more rights than are written down.
    Appreciate your common sense and apparent understanding of the law. Despite everything, no company can take away what are your statutory rights. I have no idea whether plonking $3k on a computer should bring with an expectation it should last for more than 12 months, but I would err more on the side of yes, than no.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arkenstone View Post
    Aha! But it's the exact same product!

    Further more, If 11 months down the line I decide I want my laptop to last another two years I can pay then. It's bizarre.
    i agree entirely.

    ASUS offers 2 years warranty on all their laptops (apart from their eee range) - why cant apple? its not like people are getting a bargain when they buy an apple product (unless youre one of the lucky sons of bitches who got the $2149 refurb macbook pro )
    Apple MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo T7600, 2gb RAM, 160gb HDD, 15.4" Glossy WXGA+, ATi Mobility Radeon X1600 256mb
    Acer TravelMate 6292 Intel Core 2 Duo T7300, 2gb RAM, 250gb HDD, Intel GMA X3100, 12.1" WXGA
    Gaming Tower Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450, 4gb DDR2-1066mhz Corsair Dominator RAM, Gigabyte EP45-DQ6, 3 x 1TB HDDs, HIS Radeon HD4870 512mb

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •