Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I never saw this thread. I bought off memorymate in April. Actually it was March. Anyway it took so many weeks to sort it out. It ended up being sorted out on the 11 of May, only because I was calling apple frantically as it expired it's first year on the 15th of May. I got bad codes, emails saying to only do it online etc. In the end I went to leave feedback and I couldn't as the auction took place over 90 days ago. That is how shocking memorymate is. Honestly buy the box on ebay. No other way. It's too risky otherwise. I was recommended Macfixit.com.au but they don't even send the box.

my applecare for my macbook is still there and bought it from ebay!

Quote Originally Posted by mcargy08 View Post
    my applecare for my macbook is still there and bought it from ebay!
    Which ebay seller? WHen did you buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianmonty View Post
    Which ebay seller? WHen did you buy it?
    bought it from coastal_computing more than a month ago

Quote Originally Posted by mcargy08 View Post
    bought it from coastal_computing more than a month ago
    There is still the scary possibility of the Applecare being deactivated closer to the time period of 4 months. After 90 days you lose paypal protection. Anyway when you sell it on it can be scary as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoMac View Post
    I dont know how refurbished units works but the MacBook pro I purchased in June of this year has warranty up to 26th March 2012. 1) I did not purchase AppleCare, and 2) I purchased the machine in June so it seems the previous owner purchased my computer in March, applied for AppleCare, then returned the computer back to Apple to then list it as a refurbishment.
    Should I report this to Apple or simply enjoy the extended warranty?

edit: also dont have an AppleCare agreement number
    Interesting AnthoMac - Mine is a refurb also which must have had AppleCare applied by the previous owner,
    because it shows up when I check the MBP's warranty status.
    Even the AppleCare they didn't honour shows up!
    So I see three different warranties.
    The only one that applies is the last one though.
    Hope it works out for you.
    I think I'd make enquiries to Apple.

Mutters

purchased 2 applecare from memorymate.. no problems and still on the 2 macbook pros i applied them to.

. . . .

I've just been looking into buying applecare from ebay but when reading the Asia-Pacific terms and conditions I came across this line in section 1d "Keep your Plan Confirmation document and the original sales receipt for your Covered Equipment and your Plan. Proof of purchase may be required if there is any question as to your product’s eligibility for Plan coverage."

I'm assuming an ebay receipt isn't gong to cut it? Were you guys who bought it off of ebay aware of this clause?

After you register Applecare, Apple will send you a certificate. You can also check your AppleCare status on the Apple website. As long as you keep the certificate they send you, all will be well. You'll only need your computer receipt if you lose the certificate.... provided the AppleCare you bought was legit of course
    Last edited by Scubasnaps; 15th August 2009 at 01:57 AM.
    Macbook Pro, Macmini, Apple TV, iPhone 5, iPad 3G.

thats the problem though I guess. How do you know the applecare you bought is legit? Is getting a sealed box enough? With the receipt I was referring to where it says u need to keep the original purchase receipt for your applecare.

I've been looking at this one on: APPLECARE PROTECTION PLAN MACBOOK/MACBOOK AIR AUS STOCK - eBay MacBook Pro, Laptops, Apple, Computers. (end time 17-Aug-09 16:26:00 AEST)
    Last edited by rasta87; 16th August 2009 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianmonty View Post
    There is still the scary possibility of the Applecare being deactivated closer to the time period of 4 months. After 90 days you lose paypal protection. Anyway when you sell it on it can be scary as well.
    its been two months now, and my applecare is still there. Hope its all good after 4 months. I think Apple now automatically detects if you have a fraud code, well at least on iTunes gift card as they immediately disabled my account the next day when I redeemed a fraud code i bought from ebay, so should be the same with APP.

So is it safe to buy from macfixit as they dont supply a box? Not ebay i know, but they sell just the code.....

Quote Originally Posted by lukemc View Post
    So is it safe to buy from macfixit as they dont supply a box? Not ebay i know, but they sell just the code.....
    They're a little bit more responsible since they are a business with an address, telephone number, email..... you get the picture. If they do anything funny, you know how to get hold of them!

Very true, im a bit worried now as i sold a mac on ebay, that i applied applecare to that i purchased on ebay.....id hate to be that person whos selling a laptop that doesnt have the coverage he though it did....

I have bought Apple Care from macfixit before with no problems. At least you get an invoice etc for the cost. I think they source the code from a US wholesale seller.

Just an update on my current refurbished MacBook Pro 'already registered Applecare' situation, I checked the Applecare against the computer's serial number and alas, Apple has 'no existing record' of Applecare. So my computer, for what it seems, has fallen back into the 'one year' warranty status. Guess it's off to finding the cheapest place to get the AppleCare plan.

FWIW I preordered Leopard for $15 as my system qualifies for the 'uptodate program', then I checked Applecare for curiosity's sake.
    2005 15" PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz (1st Mac purchased on the day iTunes AU opened!); 2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro (16GB RAM; Nvidia 750M); iPad 3rd Gen 64GB w/ cellular

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3