Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Palm Pre Discussion Zone

hey everyone

i wanted to get your thought on the Palm Pre, Palm has announced a GSM model for outside the US and we should have it here by the end 2009
    i am looking forward to this release now that we have seen what iPhone 3.0 has to offer
    i think the multitasking (cards) and synergy is great what are your thoughts
    personally although i love Apple products but i think this will be MY iPhone killer
    i think synergy is great and love the cards system

will you buy one
    what do you like or dislike about Palm Pre/WebOS

Palm is the Amiga of the handheld world.

The OS is fine and the hardware is perfectly capable but Palm just doesn't have it at the moment. 10 years ago I would swear Palm would rule the world (20 years ago I thought the same of Commodore) but the right decisions weren't made and now it jsut feels like they are playing catchup rather than innovating like they used to.
    This opinion intentionally left blank.

The only thing I really want is multi-tasking.
    | iMac Alu.| 11-inch MacBook Air | iPhone 4S 64GB

I think it looks great, but it's just not right for me, for these reasons:

Keyboard. I don't want a physical keyboard. It's not something I don't need but will accept, it's something I view the lack of as a positive. That said, that's just me, probably a major plus for others. This is all assuming that if it has a touchscreen that it's capacitive. And I don't want moving aprts on a damn phone.

Screen. I think the iPhone's screen is the perfect size, 3.1" is a tad too small.

Storage. I want at least 16GB.

Apps. The Pre just doesn't have the app ecosystem the Pre iPhone does. Yet.

Style. The Pre interface is very nice, but I still much prefer the iPhone UI. Also, the industrial design of the iPhone is much nicer, and the next iPhone will probably be even nicer.

iTunes. I use my iPhone as an iPod more than I use it as a phone. The syncing with the iTunes library, in particular grabbing the latest podcasts that downloaded overnight, is one of the main reasons I love my iPhone.

The last one is the biggest reason. When Jobs announced the Phone he called it a Phone, and Internet Communications Device and an iPod. The Pre has 2 of the 3 and does them well, but it needs all 3 for me to consider it (or at least some revolutionary alternative, which it doesn't have).

I will wait till I can play with one "hands on", but I am not uncomfortable with the notion that my iPhone 3G once out of contract on July 11th, 2009 maybe being replaced...

I'm running OS 3.0 beta 4 now and while it adds lots of stuff that should have been there for ages it doesn't evolve the iPhone 3G any further imho.
     MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz,8Gb,128Gb SSD  iMac 27", 16GB, 256GB SSD  iPhone 5,  iPhone 4S,  iPhone 4 32Gb  iPad 3 64Gb

I think the Pre will do well if Palm can keep the passion up and build a good app ecosystem. I definitely see webOS as a better platform than Win Mobile and maybe better than Blackberry's OS.

It looks likely that it'll be webOS, Android and Blackberry will be fighting for second place behind the iPhone. Doubt anyone will catch the iPhone for some time.

Keep in mind there is no GSM version of the Pre yet, and it may be a very long time before it comes to Australia. There also won't be the option to import because it just won't work at all, unlike the iPhone when it launched.

I like the phone but if Palm don't bother to release a GSM version simultaneous with their hobbled Sprint version, they won't last the year. They need plenty of cash in their coffers by the end of the year if they are to survive as they are bleeding money badly right now, they are only surviving because elevation partners invested money in the company.

THey'd better release a GSM version by June!

I'm fascinated by the card metaphor for apps. I wonder what we'd see if we combined that with large, multi-touch screens. There's a research project in there, somewhere.
    Jon Manning - jon@secretlab.com.au
    http://www.desplesda.net - http://www.secretlab.com.au
    Mad Scientist Grade Software
    Coming Soon: Button Squid

I love this phone based on all of the reviews, web seminars and articles that i have been exposed to so far. I cannot wait to get my hands on it.

Interesting to note that the Blackberry Curve 8900 outsold the iPhone in the last quarter (here). Obviously a lot of that is due to the offer that was around for the Blackberry, and maybe in some way due to a lack of hardware refresh from Apple.

Be aware that WebOS is resolution independent (is iPhone OS 3.0 that way?), which opens the door to a number of models of phones, and other devices. Just handy netbooks have taken off, seeing as the Foleo was cancelled.....

BTW, Precentral have linked to Smarthouse (draw your own conclusions here) that the Pre will be available with Telstra for around $299 with on contract/ $899 off contract, in August.

One last thing, on the developer stuff, don't forget that WebOS apps are based on HTML/CSS/Javascript. There are a bucketload more programmers of those languages than there are Cocoa programmers. Jury is out for me, but what apps have been shown by Palm are definitely on par with decent iPhone apps.

I'm interested in one :-)
    Last edited by lavo; 5th May 2009 at 04:08 PM.

thanks lavo for the link i will be lining up at a telstra store in August early on the morning of the launch as i did for the iPhone 3G back in July is this is rumor is true

So, I have a question for those with more knowledge than myself.

Why is it that The likes of Nokia, Google and Palm are all using WebKit for their mobile browser? I don't mean this in a bad way, I think it's great, it makes things easier for me (web dev).

But whats the business reason for it? A more open License? (presumably webkit is the Apple OSS license but gecko is gpl?) Easier to integrate? Lighter footprint?
    MBP 2.4GHz | 4GB | 160GB + 500GB Little Big Disk Quadra | 17" + 20" ACD | BT600
    Mac Mini 2GHz | 4GB | 120GB + 1000GB d2 Quadra + 500GB d2 Quadra + 4000GB Biggest Quadra (TM)
    Linksys AM300 | Airport Extreme Dual Band | AppleTV 40GB

Quote Originally Posted by pengu View Post
    But whats the business reason for it? A more open License? (presumably webkit is the Apple OSS license but gecko is gpl?) Easier to integrate? Lighter footprint?
    It's open source, and blazing fast, also the most standards compliant engine, as far as I'm aware. Kind of a no-brainer.

That, and the nearest competition at the same price is Gecko, which is slow and bulky.

entropy's Avatar entropy is offline It's the heat death of the universe, my friends

I will wait for reports on the impact the Pre multitask setup has on battery life before I get too excited.

Apart from that, I wonder when would be the optimum time for Apple to do arescue buyout, before or after the Pre doesn't save Palm. After all, better Apple than MS getting hold of Palm's patents.
    27 inch imac i7 3.4Ghz 2011 12,2 OSX 10.8

Some form of multi-tasking would be great, but I don't get why you would need to have all of your apps running in the background. Is the eye-candy of seeing your contact list scroll while in card view worth the battery or performance degradation? Do you really need to have the calculator in memory when you're not using it?

On the plus side, I think it's impressive the way they've used the area under the screen as a touch-sensitive panel to perform OS functions (app switching, for example).

For me multi tasking means IM+Last.fm scrobbling.

Although I suppose push notifications will fix the first. Jailbreaking did fix the second but I went back :P.
    | iMac Alu.| 11-inch MacBook Air | iPhone 4S 64GB

I will definitely buy one, but I'm a die-hard supporter of Palm from wayback.

I'm not sure it will be an iPhone killer unless/until the variety and quality of applications available for it matches the iPhone. If the SDK is solid and capable, then that will happen at some point.
    paris buttfield-addison: co-founder of http://www.secretlab.com.au
    Author of Learning Cocoa with Objective-C Third Edition (O'Reilly, upcoming)
    and iPhone and iPad Game Development For Dummies (Wiley, October 2010)

If the SDK is as simple as they claim - HTML5 and Javascript - then I'm positive we'll start seeing all kinds of stuff happen, and at a much faster pace than the Cocoa-based iPhone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast