Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Upgrading Macbook RAM & HDD

Hey guys,
    I have just bought Syrecx's Macbook. http://forums.mactalk.com.au/22/6277...e-macbook.html

It is a mid 2007 model with 64MB of integrated graphics. I just wanted to check that I can put a 500GB HD in this(as long as it's under 10mm).
    One I had in mind is:
    Mwave Australia: Buy Cheap Samsung HM500LI 500GB HDD, 2.5", SATA, 5400rpm, 8MB Cache, 9.5mm Thickness in Sydney, Australia Online Computer Store!

But here is the list(I don't want to do 7200rpm - it just isn't needed for my uses) if you could recommend a better one that is worth the extra $$.
    Mwave Australia: Notebook (SATA) 2.5

Also the RAM is a max of 3.0GB. So if I bought 2x2GB then it would do nothing more than 1x2GB and 1x1GB?
    Does it matter which 2GB stick goes in which slot?

Here is where I will buy from(I have some credit with them)
    Apple MacBook 13-inch 2.0GHz White (MB061LL/A) 473 200pin Laptop RAM Memory Upgrade
    I was thinking, if it would work, to just get 2x2GB as the price is only a tad more and I could always do something with the extra stick in the future. Would it work, alhough I get 3GB will only be used and recognized.
    (The site says 3.25GB can be used but it says that always).

Well thanks for your responses. I could just wing it, but it could result in a bad setup so I won't.
    Last edited by Sebastianmonty; 25th April 2009 at 05:49 AM.

Any help would be appreciated

Can't address the RAM as I never pushed my comparable Macbook past 2GB. But the drive should be fine, provided (as you've already said) that the height is no more than 9.5mm. I upgraded the drives in both of my Macbooks to Seagate Momentus drives, one 5400 and one 7200. No problems with either (knock on wood).

Great thanks. I will go for the el cheapo I think. It should be fine.

Does it matter which 2GB stick goes in which slot?
    Nope

I have the same model MB and currently using 3GB(2+1) Ram sticks. I may upgrade to 4GB (2+2), If I have some extra $ to burn and I know if I Put 4GB it will recognize only 3.25GB.

if you have extra $, go for 4GB kit
    MBP 2.4g 4g 128g
    nano gggggg 8g
    http://technewsonnet.com/

I have the same macbook as you and that 500gb harddrive will work fine in the macbook. Also I bought 2x 2gb kingston sticks and while my macbook detects that it has 4gb of ddr2, it will only use 3.25gb like you stated. It does make a big difference from the standard 1gb. You could go to MSY as they have good quality ram in stock most of the times. Saves you ordering online and waiting and it would probably work out cheaper too.

Yeah thanks for the info guys. I have credit with the US store and MSY mucked me around once and I haven't been back since. So I will be happy to work with 1GB for 1 week while I wait for it to be delivered.
    But, I will do that. Thanks for all the info.
    Actually I sent them an email and if they have in stock in Ultimo NSW then I will pay a visit and save the USD credit for something that makes it worth it.
    Last edited by Sebastianmonty; 26th April 2009 at 08:52 PM.

Just an update. I bought a Fujitsu 500Gb 5400rpm HD from a place at Capitol Square in Sydney's Chinatown. I was given some ram from a friend, 2 x 1GB sticks which will do for a little bit. I never heard back from MSY. They can go die slowly and go out of business. They aren't worth their slightly lower prices. Well at least the Ultimo, Sydney branch isn't.
    Thanks for all the advice. I'm very happy with my new beast.