Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
    Rexter Guest

Default is it just plug in and go!

Hi I have iphone 3G (Brilliant phone!) anywho's I recently formatted my computer (because I just wanted to clear up space!). I got my itunes sorted out and left it for weeks afraid to sync my iphone cause I'd thought it would erase anything so does this mean that I can go to any computer with itunes dump a few songs videos ect.. And all my existing stuff will stay! also this phone is jailbroken I'm getting ready for something happening in 3.0 where I'll not longer need jailbreak so if I just click Update 2.2.1 in in itunes it will break my jailbreak and all songs and stuff won't be touched I hope so.

Rexter Guest

bump

You really need to move this to the right forum - the iPhone area.

You also may want to be a little clearer about your question, it's really hard to understand what you are asking, may explain why nobody is assisting.

As I read it, you were synching your phone to your 'puter, you've now cleaned some stuff off the 'puter and you're wondering if you will lose stuff off the iphone that was previously synched to that 'puter? Is that correct?

The other bit about updating the iPhone version, as far as I'm aware your phone is wiped clean when you update. That's why you/iTunes restore from a backup after updating.
    Kushti

Rexter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ram View Post
    You really need to move this to the right forum - the iPhone area.

You also may want to be a little clearer about your question, it's really hard to understand what you are asking, may explain why nobody is assisting.

As I read it, you were synching your phone to your 'puter, you've now cleaned some stuff off the 'puter and you're wondering if you will lose stuff off the iphone that was previously synched to that 'puter? Is that correct?

The other bit about updating the iPhone version, as far as I'm aware your phone is wiped clean when you update. That's why you/iTunes restore from a backup after updating.

ok simple terms can I go to a friends place and put say 10 songs from there library to my iphone without erasing current data and also I'm running 2.2 on my phone what's the quickest way of unjailbreaking I really do not want to restore.

In simple terms No.

Of course there is a way around this though.

Rexter Guest

then y is it when I plugged my iphone into my reformatted comp it sync liked normal and only added they stuff I didn't have?

Because that is your library. Your iPhone/iPod is can only be associated with one library at a time. iTunes will compare what is on the computer and what is on the iPod then make the content on the iPod the same as what is on the computer.

If you try plugging it into someone else's computer with a different iTunes library it will ask whether you want it to put the other persons library on itself instead of yours. This will wipe all your old data.

burn your friends stuff onto a CD, add it to your itunes and bobs ya uncle....
    ITS NOT THAT HARD...
    White  24" iMac 2.16GHz 1GB RAM 160GB HDD |  MBP 2.4 Silver & Black | Powerbook G4 12" | Silver  Powerbook G4 17 | White  MacBook 2GHz 1GB RAM | White  iPhone 16GB

why is it on my 5g iPod i can library jump, but on my iPoh shuffle 2G i can't?

Isn't it all about that "manage my own music" option?