Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pages is a bitch

I can understand why Word is a quasi-standard now, because the competition is crap.

Pages 09 is starting to give me the shits something chronic. Why do I need to select text and use the inspector to change a global style? Why cant I select the style and select "edit" - or is that too easy?

Why do you treat tables as if they are foreign objects and where oh where do I change the language for the spell checker, it clearly doesnt take into account the language set for the OS...

You know one of the things about using different, is adapting your mindset, to that of the application.
    All the things that you want are there, you just don't know how to access them, and boy are they easy to find.
    My suggestion, if you have the time, is download the MacBreak Podcasts and the Apple iWork How to do Podcasts

It's the printer selector that gets my goat.

You work on a doc at home, select Format for any printer, then when you get to the office, it wants to find the printer from home!

Quote Originally Posted by pmoe View Post
    It's the printer selector that gets my goat.

You work on a doc at home, select Format for any printer, then when you get to the office, it wants to find the printer from home!
    I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve here!

Why do you select format for any printer anyway, why not just save the item, and print it when you need it. I have never needed to use that function.
    I use print to pdf, as it's more useful for file sharing. Have you considered setting up printer settings based on where you are? I.E. Home and Work?

Apparently you can't get word art in Pages either?
    Powerbook G4 12" 1.33Ghz 1.25GB Ram 320GB HDD | iMac 24" 2.16Ghz 4GB Ram 1TB HDD | iPod Shuffle 1GB 2G | iPod Classic 160GB | iPhone 3G 16GB | iPod Touch 4G 8GB| MacBook Pro 17" 2.3ghz 16GB Ram 750GB HDD | iPad 2 32GB Wifi | iPhone 6+ 128GB Silver |

use the styles menu from the format bar....duh
     MacBook Pro V4.1, 2.4Ghz, 250GB DD, 4 GB RAM
     Apple 20" Cinema Display & Silver Bluetooth KB & MM
     iPhone 3G 16GB Black
    - 1TB, 320GB & 160 GB Free Agent External HDD (Time Machine, Media & Stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by bacco007 View Post
    I can understand why Word is a quasi-standard now, because the competition is crap.

Pages 09 is starting to give me the shits something chronic. Why do I need to select text and use the inspector to change a global style? Why cant I select the style and select "edit" - or is that too easy?

Why do you treat tables as if they are foreign objects and where oh where do I change the language for the spell checker, it clearly doesnt take into account the language set for the OS...
    Pages' handling of styles is awesome compared to Word. Seriously. Awesome. It took me a good 3-5 minutes to work out how to use virtually everything in Pages 08's styles system. In Word, I still haven't worked it out after... 12 years? (I think that's due to the fact that styles in Word are buggy as hell - so I think I'm doing something wrong when actually it's just Word)

I think what you really meant to do was make a post that read something like this:

I'm having a few issues with Pages '09.

Is there any way to edit a style without selecting text that has that style?

How do I change the language for the spell checker? It doesn't seem to be using the system wide dictionary.

Why does Pages treat tables as though they are from China? Is there anyway to change this behaviour? I'd ideally like my tables to be Made In Australia.
    You may have better luck asking questions instead of ranting.
    "The need is not for, say, half a million -inch drill bits. The need is that there are ten million -inch holes that need to be drilled." - Robert Noyce
    www.nickforge.com

Have you tried the styles drawer?

bacco bacco - please continue to use Word exclusively - sounds like you will sleep easier at night & will spare the rest of us the anti-Pages rant.

other than that, do a couple of tutorials as already suggested and perhaps even work you way thru the list under 'help' in Pages.

then come back and tell us how much Pages 09 sucks, but I have the feeling that by then you won't
    I intend to live forever - so far, so good

Quote Originally Posted by Back2Bedlam View Post
    I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve here!

Why do you select format for any printer anyway, why not just save the item, and print it when you need it. I have never needed to use that function.
    I use print to pdf, as it's more useful for file sharing. Have you considered setting up printer settings based on where you are? I.E. Home and Work?
    My problem is when the kids have made a pages document at home and they want me to print it at the office. I take the file to work and when you go to print it, it defaults to the printer from home. I find a spelling mistake, change it, save it and print it and it still brings up the home printer first.

That was when I found the Format for any printer in the Inspector but it still doesn't want to stay printer neutral.

I do use the Share option or print to pdf when the doc is completed. And I think iwork.com is pretty cool too for sharing with those less fortunate to be using XP

Not a big deal really, just my pet gripe. Styles Drawer is a no-brainer

Quote Originally Posted by NeoRicen View Post
    Have you tried the styles drawer?
    Yes - but it does not allow you to edit the style from the drawer - why?

God. I attempted one day to humour myself and try out Pages merely because I figured with all the fuss around it on this website it must atlesat have one redeeming factor which Word did not possess - I was wrong! Hated it the moment I started using it - the ugly full screen thing, the cheap looking guidelines and rules thing, the difficulty with which to do simple operations, etc etc. Bad bad bad.
    iMac 2.66 GHz 2008 | 13" MacBookPro 2.26 GHz | BlackBerry Bold 9700
    http://www.dedicatethisday.com

Yes - but it does not allow you to edit the style from the drawer - why?
    Select the text in your document that you want the style to look like, click the little arrow to the right of the style in the Styles drawer and choose "Redefine style from selection". I've never done this before and even I figured it out in about 15 seconds -- you just have to loose the "there needs to be a dialogue box for everything" mindset that comes with Windows and all MS products.

I figured with all the fuss around it on this website it must atlesat have one redeeming factor which Word did not possess - I was wrong!
    No, you weren't. The fact that it does not have features which Word does is it's redeeming quality. Simplicity.

Oh, and what about linked text-frames a'la InDesign? I find them far more powerful than anything Word has ... well, at least since Word '97, which is the last one I've used.
    Last edited by banjo; 12th April 2009 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
    Select the text in your document that you want the style to look like, click the little arrow to the right of the style in the Styles drawer and choose "Redefine style from selection". I've never done this before and even I figured it out in about 15 seconds -- you just have to loose the "there needs to be a dialogue box for everything" mindset that comes with Windows and all MS products.
    That works well if you have a style that your happy with or you have been able to create the style from the various buttons on the menu - when you get into line and paragraph spacing (and the like ) - it gets a bit harder. Admittedly, I dont like copying a previously used style, as any bugs/issues that your style may have get carried across.

Word isn't exactly easy to change the dictionary for. Supposed to change the .dot template for the dictionary to default to the right dictionary? A little difficult for many. And it never seems to work for me.

But I still prefer Word 2003/2007 (not the Mac crap). Built in referencing (only lucky my Uni has EndNote for free), built in beautiful math equations that are easy to edit (unfortunately my uni doesn't provide the full MathType for free so no equations in Pages easily). And is there anyway to do endnotes, all I can find in Pages is footnotes.

I do use both. Pages for the pretty documents like newsletters. Word for my technical reports (for the reasons above Pages just can't do it as easily).
    White MacBook 2.2GHz 4GB RAM Leopard, White 3G iPhone 16GB

I do use both. Pages for the pretty documents like newsletters. Word for my technical reports (for the reasons above Pages just can't do it as easily).
    And this is what people continually forget: the two programs are targeted at different users. Word is more technical, has features that most people don't need, but you pay more for it. Pages is better for the majority of home users, and is far cheaper, but is also getting more of the features that you want ... for example '09 has EndNote support.

Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
    And this is what people continually forget: the two programs are targeted at different users. Word is more technical, has features that most people don't need, but you pay more for it. Pages is better for the majority of home users, and is far cheaper, but is also getting more of the features that you want ... for example '09 has EndNote support.
    LOL, you serious, I have a mate who is writing a thesis, and is doing it with Pages, Pages looks like a slug, but when you understand it, it blows Word away.

Have a look at the podcasts I linked to, and you'll see what I mean. The way it put's together contents etc, is awesome.

LOL, you serious, I have a mate who is writing a thesis, and is doing it with Pages, Pages looks like a slug, but when you understand it, it blows Word away.
    And what's he writing his thesis in?

He must have loved having the release of Endnote support with 09, how did he cope with 08?

Quote Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
    And what's he writing his thesis in?

He must have loved having the release of Endnote support with 09, how did he cope with 08?
    MAC; the defining parameter of volatile administration

I think he previously has used Word.

Endnote has been around for ages for Mac OS X. There is many other ways to perform these functions, but maybe your not old enough to have seen the previous ways. All Endnote has done, is make it easier...

MAC; the defining parameter of volatile administration
    Impressive, that would likely contain quite a bit of statistical analysis of patients, analysis I personally would not want to do in Pages but if it works for him.... I suppose if he's got MathType it would be workable. MathType 6 is comparatively easy to use.

Endnote has been around for ages for Mac OS X. There is many other ways to perform these functions, but maybe your not old enough to have seen the previous ways. All Endnote has done, is make it easier...
    I know of Malkinware's Reference Tracker, when I used it it didn't have the same level of customisation as Word for references.

In a couple of iterations time perhaps Pages/Numbers will be suitable for my uses. They're not now.

Keynote however is bloody fantastic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast