Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default MacBook Pro won't turn on

Hello Peoples,

I've got a bit of an issue with my 17" MacBook Pro (Penryn 2.6ghz, early 2008).

It was sitting on my desk yesterday uploading some files via FTP (nothing processor intensive) when my mother came over to see my new baby daughter. Anyway, I went to move the mouse to see how the upload was progressing and the machine wouldn't wake from sleep.

I tried to power cycle the machine, but the machine won't turn on. I've tried reseating the battery, reseating the RAM, holding the power button down for 10+ seconds, different power adapters but nothing seems to work.

The battery appears to be fully charged and the machine is less than a month out of warranty.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Keep in mind that a PRAM reset etc. won't do anything - the hard drive etc. won't even power up, neither does the display adapter.

One interesting thing to note is the fact that the machine appeared to be getting quite warm yesterday - the fans were spinning up even though the only thing running was OSX and a copy of Transit.
    Chombo - Australian Web Hosting with a Macintosh helpdesk!
    Take a look at my public blog, personal blog or twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockWork View Post
    I didn't bother - machine was working fine and I was going to replace it in the next year anyhow. I was hoping to get more than 13 months use out of a $5.5k machine, that's all!

hums... oh there's a sucker born every minute...

Quote Originally Posted by ClockWork View Post
    hums... oh there's a sucker born every minute...
    I came for suggestions not for sympathy - the sucker comments aren't needed ClockWork, though I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

I've been though a 15" TiBook, 17" AlBook and 17" MBP - all of these are currently big paperweights - ironically, my wife's Dell which she bought in 2003 is still humming away just nicely - not sure what I do to these machines!

Shoulda got the AppleCare - ah well.
    Last edited by silentguardian; 5th April 2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: I've gotta be nice....

Apple Service Centre. Repairs. Cash. Ka-Ching! Amen.

tried resetting the PMU? It worked for me:

Apple Portables: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
    iPhone developer & mac nut...
    Shifty Jelly

if it's JUST out of warranty, give apple a call and say you were meaning to buy it but have been busy lately and it slipped your mind (or an excuse of equivalent bullshit). they've been known to allow it if its just out of the warranty period, especially if you've spent a fair bit with them.

failing that, take it to a genius and prepare to put on the waterworks, maybe they'll feel sorry for you?

it's not exactly honest but if it's a new logic board thats required, it'll save you a SHITLOAD of money.
    17" MacBook Pro core i7, 32Gig iPhone 3Gs, 32Gig iPad

Have a smell of the exhaust port for any burnt electronics. Doesn't sound good though.

Quote Originally Posted by DagrtheSnide View Post
    Have a smell of the exhaust port for any burnt electronics. Doesn't sound good though.
    I've already checked this - nothing I could smell that smelled like burning silicon.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyshelf View Post
    This didn't do it unfortunatley.

Arrow

Unplug the power cable. Take out the battery. Push down the power button for 20 seconds. Plug everything back in. It should turn on. The power manager just needs to be reset. Its happened to me a couple times.
    Last edited by adamberkey; 5th April 2009 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by insular View Post
    if it's JUST out of warranty, give apple a call and say you were meaning to buy it but have been busy lately and it slipped your mind (or an excuse of equivalent bullshit). they've been known to allow it if its just out of the warranty period, especially if you've spent a fair bit with them.

failing that, take it to a genius and prepare to put on the waterworks, maybe they'll feel sorry for you?

it's not exactly honest but if it's a new logic board thats required, it'll save you a SHITLOAD of money.
    This is covered by my insurance, I just didn't want to make a claim because of my excessive premiums.

I've bought a HP machine to replace it for the next week or so if worse comes to worse I'll just buy a new machine and scrap this one for parts. Anyone need a 17" screen...

"Anyone need a 17" screen..."
    ==
    Are you serious? I'm looking for an upper case ribbon cable that comes off the upper case and plugs into the logic board. I'll gladly pay you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by adamberkey View Post
    Unplug the power cable. Take out the battery. Push down the power button for 20 seconds. Plug everything back in. It should turn on. The power manager just needs to be reset. Its happened to me a couple times.
    I gave this a go twice - didn't seem to help the situation Thanks for the suggestion though, is much appreciated.

ok well make sure the electrical outlet you're plugging into is actually working. I say this only because it's happened to me before. We have a certain outlet that is controlled by a light switch. I guess you'd know if you had power coming in if you saw the green light come up on your power adapter plug.

Anyway, when I was having this problem on my own 17", I remember there being two reset options available. One was for 5 seconds of holding the power button down, and the other was for 20 seconds without the battery or the power cable plugged in.

Now that I have to use my computer without the upper case on, I have to jump two little solder contacts in order to start up my computer. (I have no power button right now since I can't plug in my upper case to the logic board)

JimWOz's Avatar JimWOz is offline 56 no. ...and still seeing it big as a footy

Quote Originally Posted by silentguardian View Post
    I gave this a go twice - didn't seem to help the situation Thanks for the suggestion though, is much appreciated.
    Try leaving it for an hour or so before refitting the battery and power lead.
    I've had similar problems with my MacBook, where it wouldn't boot straight after a PMU reset, but was OK if left for a while.
    MBP15 i7 2.2 16G/1TB/120SSD, MB C2D2.4 Black, MB2.0 Black, PBG4/15/1.5, PMG4 MDD, iMacG3/333, Epson1410, HPLJ5200DN, HP ML115 Ubuntu Server, Airport Extreme+Express N. In the closet: HP DC7600 PC, PBG4/12/867, PBG3/333, PM6200, PB5300C, SE30, SE.

Quote Originally Posted by adamberkey View Post
    ok well make sure the electrical outlet you're plugging into is actually working. I say this only because it's happened to me before. We have a certain outlet that is controlled by a light switch. I guess you'd know if you had power coming in if you saw the green light come up on your power adapter plug.

Anyway, when I was having this problem on my own 17", I remember there being two reset options available. One was for 5 seconds of holding the power button down, and the other was for 20 seconds without the battery or the power cable plugged in.

Now that I have to use my computer without the upper case on, I have to jump two little solder contacts in order to start up my computer. (I have no power button right now since I can't plug in my upper case to the logic board)
    The green light is on and I've confirmed that there is power available at the outlet.

I've also tried bridging the contacts across the power button, which did not resolve the situation.

I've had watches that came free with a burger last longer then this laptop.

Do you have any other electronic components which keep having a terminally short life ? just curious about how clean your power source is.

could it be one of the ones with the nvidia video card issues? i've got one of the santa rosa ones and recently had the logic board replaced because it wouldn't turn on (well you heard the mac chime and sleep light was on but that was it). it's been fixed but i might have to take it back in again because if it gets too hot, it won't restart and none of the firewire ports work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast