Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default What gives a better picture ?

Apple tv via s-video/hdmi or a mac mini dvi-to-VGA-to-hdmi

I have the tv, 1tb hard-drive, 2 macs and a wireless home network but I can't decide between a mac mini or an apple tv. It comes down to price ( 2nd hand mini 400 ) or a apple tv.

Can anyone comment on which will give the better output please..

Can you get an apple tv to control an elgato ? Does the apple tv have apps and so forth in it, I've read it has tiger, can it control my USB dongle Internet, apple scripts ? What's it's capacity or is it just a video product ?

Output quality will be the same for both (ie. Mini DVI --> HDMI, AppleTV HDMI --> HDMI), as HDMI is essentially the same as DVI but with sound.

Regarding your second post, the AppleTV is very limited in it's stock config and you need to hack the OS to allow it to support more features (that should have been there in the first place). It's not a Mac, and never will be. If you want to do more with it - general OS X stuff - go the Mini!

JB

thanks jb

Following on from that...

You need to figure out what you want. Do you want a low powered computer that uses your TV as a monitor, or do you want a media player that requires very little config and that gets fed through iTunes? Something else to think about is who is going to use it - does it need to be old person useable or really young person? Or is it only for you?

Once you've figured that out you know where you are heading.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

AppleTV via HDMI.

Also my cheap ass soniq 42 plasma has no audio out pins, but has side speakers, I'll start a new thread, is there anyway I can splice the external tv speaker wires into l and r audio wires to pull into a home theatre system ?

It's a stretch, I'll go home and take pics. Lol

You can just use the optical audio out or the red and white audio out ports from the AppleTV to a home theatre system/stereo. No need to send audio through the TV at all if you have a home theatre system.