Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default MacBook Pro fans going nutso!

Hey all!

Just got my MacBook Pro (mid 2007 Intel) back from the Apple Store at Chatswood (replacing my logic board - super speedy turn around!) and my laptop now has its fans turn on to full (6000 rpm) as soon as I turn on the computer. Had it running for at least half and hour and no slow down.

I have tried an SMC reset and that didn't do anything. I have activity of 20% (according to iStat) - and the temperature of the laptop is hovering around 40 degrees. So I'm stumped.

I really don't want to have to go back to the store - but I think that this might be my only choice. The logic board replacement was under warrnaty (a bad batch) - but this won't be I think - unless I can say that they did it when fixing my computer

Any ideas out there?

BlueBucket
    32GB iPhone 4, 15" MacBook Pro, 27" i7 iMac, 160GB iPod Classic, 2GB iPod shuffle (blue), 2TB & 1TB Time Capsule, Airport Extreme (n), Airport Express (n), 64GB WiFi iPad :) Soon to be in my hands: 64GB WiFi+3G iPad 2, Apple TV Black

Take it back.

Take it back and have them look at it again. Sounds like they didn't connect something (like a sensor connection or something...)

He he - I so am!

Called them up this morning as soon as I could, and told them what was happening. Am taking it back in on Saturday(after describing the problem and getting them to write it all down

BlueBucket (sightly happier)
    32GB iPhone 4, 15" MacBook Pro, 27" i7 iMac, 160GB iPod Classic, 2GB iPod shuffle (blue), 2TB & 1TB Time Capsule, Airport Extreme (n), Airport Express (n), 64GB WiFi iPad :) Soon to be in my hands: 64GB WiFi+3G iPad 2, Apple TV Black

Default Quick update...

Hi all,

Dropped in my laptop yesterday to the Chatswood store - after a 20 minutes of testing, they have taken it away from me again :-(

Hopefully it will be up and running again soon.

Now even though it is out of warranty, I shouldn't have to pay for something that they stuffed up, should I?

BlueBucket

Nup, should be right. Any replaced parts have their own 90-day warranty, and any service-centre that values their reputation will warranty their work too.

(Methinks the techie who looked at your machine last will have his manager give him a bit of a talking-to about not checking things over completely at the end of a job.)

Default My laptop is back!

Good news!

Heat sink was replaced (for free) and they didn't charge me (not that they should have). Hopefully I won't have to go there for a while!

BlueBucket

Good news, and thanks for reporting back