Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default To iphone now, or not to iphone now?

That is the question..

Would you;
    A) Get an iphone now and do the 3.0 update yourself
    B) Wait for the 3.0 update iphones to be released
    C) Wait for the next gen iphone?

I want one real bad and i should be able to end my current contract early with no cancellation fee's. But shit.... should i wait?
    I'm going to the states in August and want it prior to then for internet and email.

If I was looking at an iPhone now I'd personally wait for a few months to see what happens with the new model. If your happy with the existing 3G phone then when they announce a new model you might be able to get some great deals on the "run out models"
    Visit my Christmas Light display at www.lithgowlights.com

Well I am happy with the current iphone, but you know how it is. I guess the OS 3.0 update is going to be easy, so as long as a new model with video and what not doesn't come out this year i'll be happy with my purchase

It's pretty much agreed upon that a new iPhone will most likely come out mid year. Can never be certain but all evidence points to June/July.

If you are in the market for one now, I'd just go for it, if you can afford it. Life is to short not to have all you want right now Besides, in 3 months you can probably sell it anyway (specially if you get it unlocked) and then upgrade to the v3.0 model if it's any good.

An ex-colleage of mine has just purchased a new iPhone 3G - and if I'd been in the same country as him I'd have tracked him down and slapped him....

However he's managed to get a guarantee from O2 (UK) to provide a free upgrade to the new model when it's released.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Wait - you're going to go into either a 12 or 24 Month contract, I'd personally wait the three months.

I've had my 3G for a week now, and am loving it. I'm of the view, that like computers, there's always going to be a newer better model released less than a year after you buy. Pretty much always.

And if you do get it now, in 12-24 months, the new one you get to replace this one, will be better than the one that you'd be waiting for!

It all depends on how long you can wait.... before the iphone greed sets in....

yeah i'd be looking at a 12month contract. A part of me says you've waited this long, whats a few more months. But then i want one real bad, i have so much use for one and i want to be like all the cool kids, ha.

Guess it can't hurt to see what Mr Hollands Optus has to say eh.

it is seriously uncool (tm top gear UK) to have an iPhone 3G. Clarkson has one. That's how uncool it is.

Because of the way the networks work here I really don't advise you to get one right now. You'll kick yourself in 3 months time.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

Clarkson's fingers are too fat to use one though... did he cut off Richards pinky to use as a pointer?

I may just take your advice... as i didn't realise how close the apparent new gen is away. I thought it was only the software 3.0 update that was going to come through, not an actual new model.

I hate waiting...

Wouldn't an iPhone announced today have a 6 month lead time for FCC testing in the United States? Seeing as you're going to get 3.0 as a free upgrade anyway, the question becomes if you're willing to wait 6 months + how long it takes Apple to announce a new iPhone, and then however long it takes Apple to ship it world wide.

You're wrong Silver.

There was no new FCC release for the iPhone 3G - there won't be one for the 3rd Gen iPhone.

The outside release on a new device is almost certain to be the same as the last couple of years - end of June / start of July. And like the iPhone and the iPhone 3G there will be hardware changes.... improvements abound.

If you've waited this long you can wait 3 months. So I say wait, it's all but confirmed a new iPhone will hit June/July.

PS: I'm pretty sure the FCC thing was a lie the first time around, the phone just wasn't ready. Apple could get FCC clearance between announcement and release.

I know what you mean - I am over waiting, but every time I am close to giving in I play with someone's and then I am good again for another month or so.
    We can wait together!
    My carbon footprint is PRADA.
    If you are bored, find me on iChat, visit my web page, read my uninteresting blog, Tweet me, and if all that fails - yell to get my attention.

Just buy it now. Having the current model for three months is going to be a lot better than not having it. Even if the new one can stream video from mars who cares, you have an iPhone, and that's all that matters

I love my 3G and am probably not even going to upgrade to the new one...oh wait, I lie, I will need to since I'm an iPhone Developer. *oh what a shame*
    iPhone developer & mac nut...
    Shifty Jelly

Quote Originally Posted by Taezar View Post
    I know what you mean - I am over waiting, but every time I am close to giving in I play with someone's and then I am good again for another month or so.
    We can wait together!
    The amount of self control you posses is astounding.
    I am the tech savvy at-risk youth.

Also, when the new ones are released, it might cost heaps more than the current version because of the currency exchange, and if you're planning on going into a contract, there would be no way of getting the current version at today's prices...

I'm waiting til the end of June to see what happens before I buy one.

Wait. The new one is likely to be significantly better. Especially if you want to watch/record video and play games. There are going to be a whole slew of games by X-mas this year that just will not work on the iPhone 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by jleetj View Post
    Also, when the new ones are released, it might cost heaps more than the current version because of the currency exchange, and if you're planning on going into a contract, there would be no way of getting the current version at today's prices...
    But you'll also have a huge influx of iPhone 3Gs at reduced price.
    White MacBook 2.2GHz 4GB RAM Leopard, White 3G iPhone 16GB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast