Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Can you really tell the difference between AAC 256 kpbs and CDs.
    Well, let's put it this way. With a pair of Sennheiser HD 555s plugged straight into the headphone port of my Mac Pro, I'd be hard pressed to tell much of a difference between AAC 256 and a CD (or lossless codec.) With my Denon AH D5000 Headphones plugged into my Decco DAC + Amp driven from my Mac Pro, I can tell a huge difference. When burning AAC 256 from iTMS and playing the CD on my living room hi-fi, I can tell a world of difference.

The point being, it's all relative to the equipment on which you're listening to the music.

However, putting the whole quality of sound argument aside, getting rid of original CDs is paramount to burning art hanging in The Louvre.

I used to have a huge LP collection which I squandered over the years and I'll always regret having done so. They were memories I'll never be able to replace.

Dave

I don't bother with burnt CDs, but I hang onto original software and music CDs...you never know when you might lose something and need to reinstall/re-rip

Quote Originally Posted by MacDave View Post
    With my Denon AH D5000 Headphones plugged into my Decco DAC + Amp driven from my Mac Pro, I can tell a huge difference. When burning AAC 256 from iTMS and playing the CD on my living room hi-fi, I can tell a world of difference. Dave
    That is interesting. Can anyone else tell the difference when using quality equipment. I think my equipment is pretty crap.

In comparing sound quality, I have been told that it is essential to adjust the volume levels so that they are identical for both sources, as having even a tiny difference in volume can cause the perception of a better sound.

I see the cd, and dvd, in the same vein as records and tapes, i throw those out, when something better came along, all my music and dvd's have been stored on other external media (read: time capsule, idisk and flash drives; iPhone, iPod, Apple TV and USB Drives) I have currently 4 versions of my iTunes library in backup, so I believe it's safer that the original discs.

As for the comment, you can only have it, if you have the original discs, is flawed, purchased iTunes music isn't on disc, we don't ever 'own the music', the future (i'm hoping) if of an online server, with all music on it, and we can download, stream and use what we've paid for, so if you lost/deleted an album, you'd be able to go back online and redownload it, in the same fashion as iPhone apps.

However, putting the whole quality of sound argument aside, getting rid of original CDs is paramount to burning art hanging in The Louvre.
    You mean tantamount, not paramount.
    Amstrad CPC 464 | MSX with built in tape player | Sony Walkman | Nintendo Gameboy

I've still got all my CDs in their original packaging, and I buy an average of two new CDs per week.

My rationale is that I'd rather buy music than download it for free, and if I'm going to buy it I'd rather have it in physical form than digital form. I like having the physical artifact, like being able to control the quality of my rips (and re-rip in the future if I want), like having an archive and like having a big wall of CDs on display to show how awesome I am.
    Amstrad CPC 464 | MSX with built in tape player | Sony Walkman | Nintendo Gameboy

90% of the albums I buy are kept stored away, the other 10% is usually the albums I either wake up and figure they're awful and they're purged from my iTunes Library then the album awaits disposal. Used CD stores in my area only offer 25c to $1 USD per disc, not worth the time and suffering... in the past I used to sell my old discs while in NYC.

I'd say the collecting side of albums began to decline upon record companies pushing CDs in shitty digipak packaging and cut back on lyrics booklets. In my opinion if I could throw out discs, the digipak albums which come to mind are: Ben Kweller(last two albums), Coldplay(Viva la Vida), Foo Fighters(There Is Nothing Left To Lose), Soundgarden(Down On The Upside), Weezer(Make Believe & Red Album), etc.

*sigh* I don't have any good experiences with digipak albums, I used to pre-order albums and the postal service managed to crush the packaging+digipak to the point of shattering the disc... *points at Warner Music and shakes fist*
    at&t 3G speeds(Motorola Atrix): 2148 kbps down / 1483 kbps up
    Sprint WiMax Speeds(Motorola Photon): 9.1 mbps down / 1.8 mbps up
    "Every country has the government it deserves" -Joseph De Maistre

I prefer digipaks to regular CD cases! I've never had any problems with damaged discs, and I order a lot of CDs online. I think they look nicer, they're a better approximation of the vinyl packaging.

In comparing sound quality, I have been told that it is essential to adjust the volume levels so that they are identical for both sources, as having even a tiny difference in volume can cause the perception of a better sound.
    Indeed. It's an old speaker selling trick in stores that sell audio gear.

A few weeks ago, my mate from Music Lovers Audio (he's the assistant manager) was over at my place and we were comparing the sound of the Decco when connected by Toslink cable vs. USB cable and listening to a few songs on Dimension 4 speakers and an Era 8 sub-woofer (The Decco, satellite speakers and sub are all made by signalpath.). One of the installers was with us as well. I had the Decco's remote control in one hand switching its inpus and was switching the audio outputs on my Mac Pro with the other hand using SoundSource so I could do the A-B as quickly as possible while we all listened.

The optical output sounded slightly crisper with a tiny bit more clarity. I then commented to Will, my mate, "Well, the optical is a wee bit louder too." His response was, "Yeah, it's an old speaker selling trick! Set things up so one pair of speakers is a bit louder than another and the customer will think the louder sounding speakers are better nearly every time."

Upon further listening and comparing the optical and USB inputs of the Decco, especially through headphones, I still think the optical is a bit clearer, but it's debatable which is actually "better." Too clear and crisp can sound too digital where soft and warm is more of an analog kind of sound.

Anyhow, I digress.

I'm currently on a quest to setup a really nice music server for ease of navigation. Eventually, I'll toss most of my CD collection on it, probably just as AIFF as I don't really see file size as an issue. Regardless, no matter how good the results are, I already know in advance that it won't sound quite as nice as playing my CDs on a very high quality CD player with a two stage, upsampling DAC piping into my receiver in "Stereo Direct" mode which shuts down all the digital circuitry.

Getting back on topic, I keep all my original install disks too. When it comes to stuff like OS X install disks, I care little about the CDs and DVDs themselves. It's the boxes I like to keep for my collection. =)

Dave

Imagine if the title of this thread was different, instead of CD, it said DVD... How would that change your answer? Or would I now be 'chiseling the ceiling at the Sistine Chapel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Back2Bedlam View Post
    As for the comment, you can only have it, if you have the original discs, is flawed, purchased iTunes music isn't on disc, we don't ever 'own the music', the future (i'm hoping) is of an online server, with all music on it, and we can download, stream and use what we've paid for, so if you lost/deleted an album, you'd be able to go back online and redownload it, in the same fashion as iPhone apps.
    I think if you take a step back – you'll see your argument is flawed. Your own argument hopes for a future of on-line world where you can redownload/stream music you've paid for… fair enough… but if you sell it (as other's here wish to do by selling the CD), then you no longer have paid for it so relinquish your rights to future downloads/streaming of that music.

It doesn't matter if you own physical media or digital media… once you on-sell it you've effectively given up all rights to use that music.

Quote Originally Posted by cussles View Post
    I think if you take a step back – you'll see your argument is flawed. Your own argument hopes for a future of on-line world where you can redownload/stream music you've paid for… fair enough… but if you sell it (as other's here wish to do by selling the CD), then you no longer have paid for it so relinquish your rights to future downloads/streaming of that music.

It doesn't matter if you own physical media or digital media… once you on-sell it you've effectively given up all rights to use that music.
    How can my argument be flawed, I have not indicated, nor ever will, on selling of media I have purchased. I believe that is fundamentally wrong, sure i've given cd's etc away before, but never sold them.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgz View Post
    You mean tantamount, not paramount.
    Oh, do I? Or is it a play on words? =)

File:ParamountLabelBLJefferson.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dave

As for the comment, you can only have it, if you have the original discs, is flawed, purchased iTunes music isn't on disc
    What? It has nothing to do with iTunes. We're talking about CDs here, not digital music. You've bought the right to a physical copy of a recorded piece of music, and are allowed to make copies for your own personal use.

According to Australian copyright law:

Copying from a CD
    You can copy from a CD if:
    • you own the CD;
    • it is a non-infringing copy (that is, it was not made illegally);
    • you make the copy yourself; and
    • you make the copy to play on a device you own.

The new provision therefore does not apply if:
    • the CD is owned by someone else;
    • the CD is an illegal copy;
    • the copy is made for you by someone else; or
    • you make the copy to play on a device owned by someone else.

Once you’ve made the copy, there are things you must not do with the copy or with the original CD. The copy will become an infringing (illegal) copy if you:
    • sell the copy or the original CD;
    • distribute the copy or the original CD;

• play the copy or the original CD in public (such as at an office party, club function or community event); or
    • broadcast the copy or the original CD.

If you do any of these things with either a copy or the original commercial copy, the copy you made in reliance on the provision becomes an infringing copy.
    You can, however, lend (but not give) the copy or the original CD to members of your family and to people you are living with.
    Purchased digital music has its own terms of use as agreed to when you download or sign up to whatever service you're using. Of course you're not required to buy a CD when you buy a digital download, that would be stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by half goon half god View Post
    snip
    My response was based on a comment made, that suggested that you could not keep music if you didn't have the original CD.

Quote the law if you choose, but do so, from a point of understanding, not copying and pasting. The law that iTunes follows, and that of CD's is derived from the same legislation, and has many of the same clauses and boundaries.

In essence, you do not have to own something physical to have rights to the intellectual material.

Your quote would only work as a play on words if it actually made sense as written. It doesn't.

In essence, you do not have to own something physical to have rights to the intellectual material.
    So how does that fit with the requirement that to own a legal copy of intellectual material (being music in this situation) that you personally have copied from a CD, you must retain <Edit: NOT SELL> that original CD?

tantamount - equivalent in seriousness to; virtually the same as

paramount - more important than anything else; supreme

tantamount - equivalent in seriousness to; virtually the same as

paramount - more important than anything else; supreme
    Yes, I know.

He wrote "getting rid of original CDs is paramount to burning art hanging in The Louvre", which means "getting rid of original CDs is more important than or vital to burning art hanging in the Louvre".

He clearly meant "getting rid of original CDs is equivalent in seriousness to burning art hanging in the Louvre".

The two meanings are not the same; it's not a play on words, just incorrect usage of a word.

Anyway, back to the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by half goon half god View Post
    So how does that fit with the requirement that to own a legal copy of intellectual material (being music in this situation) that you personally have copied from a CD, you must retain that original CD?
    you'll note I said, you do not 'have' to own something physical to have rights to the intellectual material

Emphasis on have...

And nowhere in the document you quoted from, do you have to retain the original cd. You could, just throw it in the bin.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast