Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Are people still keeping their CDs?

I really hate clutter, and now that I have burnt <EDIT - I MEANT TO SAY RIPPED> all my CD's (approximately 400) I am contemplating selling them. My rationale is that I will never be bothered using a physical CD again. I thought about keeping them for backup purposes, but I have multiple backups, including offsite backups, so I don't think this will be an issue.

The only other reason I can consider for keeping them is if I want to eventually burn <EDIT - RIP> them at a higher bit rate, but AAC 256 kbps seems good enough for my ears. If this was really an issue, I wouldn't be buying stuff on iTunes.

I am not sure how much money I will make, but every bit helps when planning your next Apple purchase.

What do you think?

I don't think you will get that much money for them, and unless space is incredibly important to you (living in Sydney, it very well may be!) I would recommend just sticking them in boxes and hanging on to them. It's always comforting to have the physical medium there in case you lose your backups and main system (it happens), and they can always be stored in the garage/attic/closet/under the bed - it's not as though they're that clunky.

Interesting question. I have about 400 CDs and have burnt most of them. I am about to move to Japan and don't know what to do with them. I was thinking of throwing out all of the cases and storing just the discs. Selling them and keeping the rips doesn't seem right, plus most of them won't sell for more than a couple of bucks anyway, and neither does trashing the discs.

If you had 400 EP's would you get rid of them and just keep your mixed tapes? Would you chuck out the slip or included poster?

It's not that extreme a comparison when you think about it.

I would keep. Pack them up somewhere dry and cool so they keep.

I think the term is "ripped", not "burnt".

Of course it is completely illegal to sell of a CD unless you also delete digital copies you may have

In our house we had two copies of 1927's "...ish". When we listed them it was surprising the response we got on ebay and they sold almost for what we paid for them almost 20 years ago. Some stuff isn't on the itunes store and so a physical copy is the only way of getting hold of it (legitimately anyway). So some of your old CD's may be worth more than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by alanthomasball View Post
    If you had 400 EP's would you get rid of them and just keep your mixed tapes? Would you chuck out the slip or included poster?

It's not that extreme a comparison when you think about it.

I would keep. Pack them up somewhere dry and cool so they keep.
    I sort of agree with the EP/Tape comparison, but I guess the difference is that a digital copy won't degrade, and is easy to backup in multiple places.

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    I think the term is "ripped", not "burnt".

Of course it is completely illegal to sell of a CD unless you also delete digital copies you may have

In our house we had two copies of 1927's "...ish". When we listed them it was surprising the response we got on ebay and they sold almost for what we paid for them almost 20 years ago. Some stuff isn't on the itunes store and so a physical copy is the only way of getting hold of it (legitimately anyway). So some of your old CD's may be worth more than you think.
    I have the same 1927 album, along with even more embarrassing examples.

Thanks for the heads-up on the fact that some of the CD's may be worth a bit. I just assumed that I would be lucky to get a few dollars for each one.

I've still kept all my old LPs, I'd never get rid of my CD collection. I've had far too many HD failures to put complete trust in HD storage. I know that you could make a backup on disc of the itunes library, but why bother re-burning something to CD when you got it from CD.
    2008 Macbook 13" 2.1GHz, 4GB RAM – Late 2008 iMac 20" 2GHz 4GB RAM – Early 2008 iMac 20" 2Ghz 2GB RAM – TV - Summer 2001 iMac 1GB RAM - Late 2005 Power Macintosh 2.3 GHz 16GB RAM – 2 32GB Black iPhones – 160GB iPod Classic.

I've got all mine packed neatly, cool and dry.

I would never throw 'em out.
    lotsa applz
    "I said no salt NO SALT on the margarita"
    flickr

I know these physical belongings can be a burden (they are quite often to me), but music is such a silly thing to get rid of.

I know we have digitised copies, but consider this: (this is my Dr. Phil voice...)

It is going to be a long, long time before digital images replace the role photographic prints enjoy. When we hold a print of a holiday snap, whether it was taken on a Panasonic Lumix or a Kodak Instamatic, you are more than looking at an image. You are feeling the paper, bringing the emotion into a tangible thing. You're then passing that emotion to the person seated next to you, and connecting in ways more than just visual. (I see tears, laughter and red wine in your future!)

So, don't hoik your CD's. They bring your enjoyment and appreciation of music into your physical world!

**somebody get me a tissue**

"One More Thing"
    Over here the topic of CD cataloging has come up. I would recommend you pick up a copy of Delicious Library 2 and track the stuff you pack away. (You could make a "Attic Pack" list for things you have stored away.)

I had about 500 CD's which have all been ripped. I could never part with them as so many have such important memories associated with them. I did however strip em out of the cases, separate the books etc and pack the discs into pvc sleeves. Takes up very little room compared with the whole item in the box.

Who knows what formats may be introduced in the future where you can get better quality for less space. May want to re rip them again at some point.
    The bridge is crossed, so stand and watch it burn.

If you want to sell them, you'll have to delete the copies on your computer as well. They're only legal if you still own the CDs.

http://www.copyright.org.au/publications/G070.pdf

I regret selling my CDs when I moved out of home, then again when I rebuilt it and ran out of money.

Mainly due to the actual sentimental attachment to the physical media. I associate so many memories with them, I don't want to get rid of them, even if they do take up space and gather dust.

I threw out the jewel cases and keep the cds in plastic sleeves. Copped heaps from my son who told me he couldn't sell them without the cases! Still, it's the cases that take up most of the room.

I would never part with my audio CDs. They're currently the best sounding source of music I have and to me, just having music as data on some HD or whatever without all the original album art, liner notes and whatever else comes with CDs is next to worthless.

Some of my CDs are out of print too and would be very difficult to replace in the future.

I don't believe that you guys are moaning about how much space CDs take. Remember, the "C" stands for "Compact!"

What, do you guys live in doll houses or something ? =) If I had any children, I'd be throwing them out of the house before my CD collection!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MacDave View Post
    I would never part with my audio CDs. They're currently the best sounding source of music I have and to me, just having music as data on some HD or whatever without all the original album art, liner notes and whatever else comes with CDs is next to worthless.
    Dave
    Can you really tell the difference between AAC 256 kpbs and CDs. I know lots of people say they can, but I am not convinced. I have a friend who is a big time audiophile who said iTunes downloaded music was rubbish, and when I tested him on an OK system, he actually picked the AAC 128 as being better than the CD, which suggests to me that the difference can't be all that great. I know it may be sacrilegious but I am more interested in convenience than sound quality, as long as it sounds OK.

There are a few classic CD's in my collection that I think I will hold on to, but I don't think that I want to ever listen to most of the music again, so keeping covers, booklets etc isn't an issue. In fact, I am quite embarrassed with some of the crap I have collected over the years. Anyway, I tend to like to listen to new music most of the time.

*glances over at his wall of 2,200+ CDs (still in original cases) and several hundred pieces of vinyl*

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    I really hate clutter, and now that I have burnt all my CD's (approximately 400) I am contemplating selling them. My rationale is that I will never be bothered using a physical CD again. I thought about keeping them for backup purposes, but I have multiple backups, including offsite backups, so I don't think this will be an issue.

The only other reason I can consider for keeping them is if I want to eventually burn them at a higher bit rate, but AAC 256 kbps seems good enough for my ears. If this was really an issue, I wouldn't be buying stuff on iTunes.

I am not sure how much money I will make, but every bit helps when planning your next Apple purchase.

What do you think?
    Are you insane? Are you not a collector?

Once you give those CDs away, you've lost your right to use the content. You never own content, only physical media. Also, what if you want to rerip (not burn) at a different bitrate in the future?

As a collector, this idea offends me.

Quote Originally Posted by Japester View Post
    Are you insane? Are you not a collector?

Once you give those CDs away, you've lost your right to use the content. You never own content, only physical media. Also, what if you want to rerip (not burn) at a different bitrate in the future?

As a collector, this idea offends me.
    I guess it all comes down to you philosophy of life, I am definitely not a collector, I actually feel quite liberated when I get rid of stuff. However, all that is important to me is that I can still listen to the music in the form I want to listen to it in. I know that I will never be bothered finding a certain CD and playing it, when I can listen to the same song with a few clicks.

In terms of re-ripping at a different bit rate in the future, the music sounds good enough to me at the current bit rate, so I know that I will never be bothered re-ripping it. Life is too short to spend countless hours doing this again.

I still haven't completely made up my mind so it is good to get different views.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast