Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

ok. So here I am with my lovely new 12" powerbook and I am trying to get some good apps installed. I got firefox running, although I think safari is actually loading pages faster atm.

I am having a bit of trouble getting open office to work. I have installed XDarwin, and run the open office installer. But for some reason it just seems to hang when I use the "start open office" program. It bounces in the dock, XDarwin screen comes up and I get a choice between full screen or rootless. Doesn't matter which one I click on, nothing seems to happen. The "start open office" program stays in the dock, but I does nothing when I click on it.

Is there something stupid I havn't done? Is there something special I have to do to get into the x-server so that I can use open office? I have no idea if it actualy opened or not.

***Edit***

ok I now have the following error:

Could not launch OpenOffice.org

/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/soffice.bin:
    cannot open display ":0.0"
    Please check your "DISPLAY" environment variable as well as the permission to acess that display. (See "man X" resp. "man xhost" for details)

After getting this error I had a look around. It seems something is fubared with my X install. When I type X into the console I get an error saying it can't find USA.keymapping. When I installed XDarwin I made sure to follow their instructions and I installed all of the core files. Anyone got any ideas?
    garethtownsend.info

Melbourne Cocoaheads! - we're cuckoo for cocoa apps!

Try NeoOffice.

Its OpenOffice, but the project is working at porting it over to native OSX.

I find it faster then Open Office, even though its pretty much the same app.

Steve
    WTF is Harmonytech? | The iBook Saga. | Successful Trades: Currawong, Byrd, xedos, Decryption, Greenie, Mivory
    sudo chmod 327 /etc/car/subaru

... which can be found here: http://www.neooffice.org/
    Read my drivel, be dazzled by my Twitter

Are you some kind of devil trying to keep me from using my time usefully? - Currawong
    "You're an enigma wrapped in a ferreo roche" - fulltimecasual

Try this:

1. Start X11

2. Start a terminal - under Applications--> terminal in X11 menu (One may already have started anyway) NOT the terminal under Utilities.

3. In this terminal type the full path of Openoffice:

/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.1/program/soffice (yours may be a different path/version)

And I agree with pipsqueek - try NeoOffice. Fully native OS X version, although a little behind in release number). No need for X11

Damian
    iMac 24" 2.8

Yay I now have neo office working. This will do for now. I just needed something for basic note taking/powerpoint stuff etc.
    garethtownsend.info

Melbourne Cocoaheads! - we're cuckoo for cocoa apps!

Thanks Disko...for the link....Doh!

Currawong got me onto NeoOffice..another one for simplistic text editing, not as simple as TextEdit. is AbiWord....

the link...http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/a...g.bz2?download
    WTF is Harmonytech? | The iBook Saga. | Successful Trades: Currawong, Byrd, xedos, Decryption, Greenie, Mivory
    sudo chmod 327 /etc/car/subaru