Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Question Is my HDD fcuked?

Ok, so I've noticed a few things over the last few days that give me reason to believe the HDD in my MBP may be fcuked!

Spotlight is almost always un-responsive. It takes a number of seconds for the Spotlight Search box to show up, and then a number of seconds to disappear again, and typing into it is ridiculously laggy.

Safari 4 hangs with a Beach Ball every time I start to download a file

The Finder has hung several times in the last few days doing simple tasks, and can't be recovered. (foce quit/relaunch either don't work, or take a LONG time to have any effect)

Disk Warrior's "Hardware Test" gave mixed results on the internal drive.

the first time I ran it, it said the drive doesn't support S.M.A.R.T. reporting, subsequent times it said the drive was "ok".

I've run Disk Utility (from install DVD) and when I ran Repair Disk it did detect and fix a few issues, and I've repaired permissions.

I have Time Machine backups, so if it does fail it's not a huge issue (besides having to replace the drive) but I guess I'd like to know in advance!

Any help/suggestions appreciated
    MBP 2.4GHz | 4GB | 160GB + 500GB Little Big Disk Quadra | 17" + 20" ACD | BT600
    Mac Mini 2GHz | 4GB | 120GB + 1000GB d2 Quadra + 500GB d2 Quadra + 4000GB Biggest Quadra (TM)
    Linksys AM300 | Airport Extreme Dual Band | AppleTV 40GB

Ok just to add some info. I just saved the report from Disk Warrior (so i could paste it here). The report it generates is a PDF. When I opened it in Preview and tried to copy the text (about 8 lines) Preview beach balled for a few seconds too.. maybe this is a sign that it's an OS issue, not a HW issue?

anywho. Disk Warrior report is below. Note that contrary to my previous post, now the hardware test is telling me the same thing constantly.

Starting new test on...

Device: ST9160823AS

Serial Number: 5NK05C9A

Type: ATA Device (Serial)

When: Thu Mar 5 20:20:33 EST 2009

This hard drive does not have built-in S.M.A.R.T. diagnostics.

Test completed.
    Mac Mini 2GHz | 4GB | 120GB + 1000GB d2 Quadra + 500GB d2 Quadra + 4000GB Biggest Quadra (TM)

I ain't no expert, but to me it sounds more like you need to do a reinstall - o/s is fcuked more like it

Back up and and do a full reinstall. Had similar issues myself and you get to a point where the computer becomes unusable...

viz
    iMac 27" 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i7, 16 Gig RAM, 250 Gig SSD HD, 2 Tb 2nd HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6970M; 2.6 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro 15" 4 Gig RAM; 1 Tb Stardom RAID1 TC backup; 1 Tb Aperture Vault (SD); iPhone 4G 32 Gig; iPad2 64 Gig

Yeah, i came to the same conclusion. I've reinstalled and it seems to be better for now..

And SATA drives are not SMART compatible so just ignore that 'ok' reading.

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    EH?

More info pls?

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    That's a load of iridium-plated bovine testicles there, mate.

Not only do the SATA drives (one WD, one Seagate) in my Windows machine give me a full read-out with Crystal Disk Info, the SATA drive in my housemate's MacBook Pro shows up quite happily in smartctl and displays current temp, number of starts, total runtime hours, the works.

S.M.A.R.T. was designed to give the average user a quick pass/warning/fail response as to a drive's health -- the drive itself maintains its list of tests & parameters and only gives out the full data when requested by an appropriate program, such as smartctl. Disk Utility (and the BIOS of any S.M.A.R.T. compliant generic PC) just displays the quick-response message, which is a very good indicator of the physical state of the drive.