Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default OS X 10.5.6 update issue

Has anyone else had trouble updating their Macbook (i have the unibody) or anu other Mac to the new OS???
    1. How long should it take to update after downloading? Mine seems to be stuck at the configuring update stage. it doesn't progress beyond about 5%.
    2. Is there anyway of deleting the update and re-downloading it? could i have a corrupted download file??
    Thanks in advance for the help?

This is a known issue. It's happened to lots of people so don't panic. Google and you'll find plenty of chat regarding this. Try downloading the combo update from the Apple website. I think that will solve your problem.

MacTalk Thread Here
    iMac 24" 2.8 GHz (2008), Macbook Air (1st Gen), iPhone 3g, iPod Shuffle 2g (Product Red), Apple TV, Airport Express (N).

Successful Trades : grfxninja, Boddiz, Phaze, iMarty, f1_Power, Jimdrum, Clockwork, iSlayer, Brentnal, Atomic, Danno74,
    Darbgod, Loc04t, Swoffam & Itsanobscured

oh...thanks, will give it a go on the Apple website.
    Is it worth updating or should I wait?

As far as I'm aware there are no other issues with 10.5.6 update. Except of course if you have a jailbroken iPhone which this update disables DFU mode. I've download the update using software update on my iMac and I haven't had any problems so far. Updating your macbook is totally up to you. Have a read through the thread I linked to it may give you more of an insight.
    iMac 24" 2.8 GHz (2008), Macbook Air (1st Gen), iPhone 3g, iPod Shuffle 2g (Product Red), Apple TV, Airport Express (N).

Successful Trades : grfxninja, Boddiz, Phaze, iMarty, f1_Power, Jimdrum, Clockwork, iSlayer, Brentnal, Atomic, Danno74,
    Darbgod, Loc04t, Swoffam & Itsanobscured

I still can't believe that Apple haven't pulled the update or replaced it with a version that doesn't stuff up your Mac. If this was MS everyone in here would be shouting from the rooftops saying how crap they are, but everyone seems to be just blindly accepting a faulty update.

i updated from the apple website and it's all good now. Thanks for the tips.
    As you said it appears that the problem arises if you update directly from Software Update.

----------------

Angry

I've had three failed attempts at updating to 10.5.6 (alu MBP 10.5.5):

1. Software update - Downloaded the update, ran it, and got stuck at the "configuring update" stage (at about 5% progress). I stopped and started the download a few times and thought this might have been the issue. Thus attempt 2....

2. Downloaded the smaller "incremental update" file (not combo) from the apple website. "Failed to mount" error when I attempted to run the update. Thus attempt 3...

3. Cleared the updates folder and attempted to download using software update without any interruptions. Got up this morning and ran the file.... some kind of file security error message whereby it tells me the file is not officially signed by Apple and has been modified since creation, or some bullshit like that. It deleted the file so I retrieved it from the trash and tried to run it manually. Get the "operation could not be completed (com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error -1).

I'm severely peeved about this. Luckily I've got a 12 gig allowance with my ISP. I think I'll bite the bullet and download the 600-odd MB "combo" update from the Apple website overnight. Fourth time lucky...
    iPhone 6 64GB | iPad Pro 9.7" / 128GB | Watch SS / BSB+LB | Hackintosh i7 3770K 4.2GHz / 32GB / 480 SSD / 256GB SSD / 2TB HDD / Blu-ray / GTX 980 4GB / 2x24" LED Cinema Displays | Macbook Pro Retina 13" / i7 2.8GHz / 8GB / 512GB SSD / Intel Iris

I read about these problems, but on my MBP and Mac Pro the installation went fine

Quote Originally Posted by dawsman View Post
    I think I'll bite the bullet and download the 600-odd MB "combo" update from the Apple website overnight. Fourth time lucky...
    Fourth time....unlucky . The image won't mount because of an "invalid checksum". I skipped checksum and ran the installer but half way through I get a "installer cannot verify the contents of this package" error.

I even downloaded the file on a different computer this time (uninterrupted). So it's either down to my internet connection, or a problem with my Mac HDD (permissions are okay - I checked them).

I think I'll skip this update for now. Otherwise, does anyone know if Apple sell significant updates such as this one on CD?
    iPhone 6 64GB | iPad Pro 9.7" / 128GB | Watch SS / BSB+LB | Hackintosh i7 3770K 4.2GHz / 32GB / 480 SSD / 256GB SSD / 2TB HDD / Blu-ray / GTX 980 4GB / 2x24" LED Cinema Displays | Macbook Pro Retina 13" / i7 2.8GHz / 8GB / 512GB SSD / Intel Iris

Downloaded the update at work today (only took 15 mins ) and this time it worked, no worries. So my home internet connection must be a bit dodgy. I've never had a problem before, perhaps large dmg files are particularly sensitive to connection quality?

Oh well, all installed and working beautifully.

I am continuing "check sum errors" when downloading this combo update from apple. I have a Netgear DG834G modem and a time capsule. I am connecting via ethernet from the TC.

I have tried downloading via three computers but still get the same check sum error. Any ideas?

*fixed* Updated firmware on Modem and all is good.

Not having a good day with this. Mac Book did a kernel panic during the update, upon restart I now have a kernel panic each time.

Ran disk utility to verify disk and permissions. There were a lot of errors with permissions.

I am not sure of the actual kernel panic message but after the debugger called message the last message states "Mac OS Version: Not yet set"

If I run single user mode I cannot enter any data at the "prompt"

Any assistance would be appreciated..

*update*

I was able to boot into target disk mode and view the disk. All looks okay with accounts intact etc. I am unsure how I get rid of the kernel panic on boot though? Is Disk Warrior an option?