Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Will Snow Leopard bring an updated version of Front Row with it?

What do you think the chances are of getting a version of Front Row with Snow Leopard that lets you rent or buy movies, music and tv shows directly from Front Row? Or are Apple going to keep those features limited to the iPhone and AppleTV.

Hell a Remote app on the iPhone that controlled Front Row would be welcome too!! I don't get why we don't have one yet...

Doubt it, Snow Leopard isn't really about new features. There's a lot of under the hood stuff and maybe some cosmetic changes, but apart from Safari I don't think any new versions of apps are coming.

I don't see the point in renting etc. through front row, since you've got iTunes right there.

i think it would be nice if you had the ability to rent through front row, particularly from the couch or in bed... would save having to have a keyboard etc to navigate through all the titles.... fine if you are planner, but if you are in the mood to impulse buy, surely this could be a handy feature... appleTv style?
    2008 MBP 2.4Ghz 4GigRam, vista server with 2 TB, iPhone 3g white, Ps3, logitech z680 5.1 system, LG 42inch HD plasma, Wii,

Got to admit that puzzles me - I don't rent movies - but I had assumed that if you rent through iTunes you can watch it in Front Row?

As for a Remote App for Front Row - that would poach sales of the Apple remote from new users that want to use a remote in Front Row.

I've not used Front Row since I got my Apple TV. And since they removed Airtunes control from Front Row it got used less and less.

None of the leaked build notes have mentioned Front Row.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

Quote Originally Posted by Lutze View Post
    Got to admit that puzzles me - I don't rent movies - but I had assumed that if you rent through iTunes you can watch it in Front Row?
    You can, but they want to rent through the Front Row interface, ala AppleTV.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoRicen View Post
    You can, but they want to rent through the Front Row interface, ala AppleTV.
    Uh...you can't. Rented movies don't appear in Front Row...

And the reason I'd like to be able to rent from the Front Row interface rather than having to access iTunes via screen sharing with the Mini which is connected to my TV.

Quote Originally Posted by thatfilthyspringbok View Post

And the reason I'd like to be able to rent from the Front Row interface rather than having to access iTunes via screen sharing with the Mini which is connected to my TV.
    Really, not at all? Wow, I just assumed they did.

Hell a Remote app on the iPhone that controlled Front Row would be welcome too!! I don't get why we don't have one yet...
    There already is one as far as I'm aware which emulates the Apple Remote. Do a search on the app store I'm sure you'll find it. I think it's $2.49 or something.

mmm. I'm sure I watched the 2 rented movies I've brought through iTunes via Front Row on my iMac, but that was a couple of months ago so I could be mistaken...

The other problem with Front Row, however, is the resolution. It's lower on FR - DVD's have much better resolution and less pixellation when watching through DVD player than through FR.

Ciao
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by NeoRicen View Post
    Really, not at all? Wow, I just assumed they did.
    I rented a couple of movies the other night, but I couldn't find them anywhere in Front Row. I had to exit Front Row and kick off the movie from iTunes via Screen Sharing.

I'll take another look tonight, but I'm sure it's not on there.

Edit: Confirmed here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....13456&tstart=0 and here http://discussions.apple.com/thread....111&tstart=120