Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Disk Repairing Failure

Hey guys,

The other day I tried to partition my HDD using Boot Camp. I got the following error

As a result, I tried to verify and repair my disk. Upon verifying however, I got the following error:

This is the log of the verify disk process:

I have no idea what to try next. Any ideas?
    βen
    Desktop: Early 2008 20" iMac (2.4GHz, 4GB RAM)
    Laptop: Mid 2009 13" Macbook Pro (2.23GHz, 2GB RAM)

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Boot up in single user mode (Command S) and type /sbin/fsck -fy

When its finished type reboot

I've had a couple of repairs that failed but went through fine in single user mode.
    http://twitter.com/TheMissionMan / Photo Page
    MacBook Air 13" 2.0GHz i7/8GB/512GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad Mini LTE 64GB, Nikon D700, MB-D10, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x, SB700, SB600, Benro C3580T, Benro GH-1, Benro C48T

And if that doesn't work, your choices are:
    - buy Alsoft DiskWarrior on disc and boot from that and use it to repair your drive, and/or
    - back up all your data, reformat and start over.

Default When in doubt, throw it out!

I'd backup all data to another disk, and reformat the drive in question. A low level format would be best in this situation. If you have trouble reading data from the disk, use DiskWarrior, it really will read any disk, no matter how shredded it is.
    Run the reformatted disk for a while, do some more tests, and if it still plays up, throw it out and buy a new one. Drives these days can last as little as three years, so I usually turf them at the first sign of trouble if they're around that age.

Before heading down the DiskWarrior route (assuming you haven't already), when repairing a disk I always boot from an external, run disk utility from the external and then select the internal to repair. I don't believe some disk errors can be repaired if you boot from the disk you're trying to fix.
    Trading Feedback: El Guardo

I've had the same problem before. I ended up reinstalling OS X from a Time Machine backup & that fixed it.

And when things are back to normal, install Applejack, and if you ever have any odd** behaviour with your Mac again then use Applejack in Single User mode.

**Crashes, freezes, anything out of the normal. However 'Crashes, freezes, anything out of the normal' might be a hardware fault, so be careful in this interpretation.

Thanks for all the help everyone

Luckily I was able to boot into single user mode and fix the drive that way. I really wasn't looking forward to reformatting (I was thinking I'd have to do that), so I was delighted when SUM fixed it.

Thanks once again!
    βen
    Desktop: Early 2008 20" iMac (2.4GHz, 4GB RAM)
    Laptop: Mid 2009 13" Macbook Pro (2.23GHz, 2GB RAM)