Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Thread: Kids games

Default Kids games

Hi All,
    Looking for some ideas for kids games on the mac. The little ones are 4 & 6 and are not avid players so just basic games would be handy.

I haven't really played games since the original Doom days. (Bring on the imps ) So am fairly out of touch with anything around. I've been having a look at the shops JB, ebGames, etc but it all seems to be console stuff.

Anyone have any ideas of where to look please. Any games that you could recommend would be great. I guess I can go down the bootcamp road if necessary so xp style games would be ok.

We have a 24" 2.16 2GB

Thanks

Drifting dry's down current lanes.

Anything from EdAlive is awesome for the young ones... Educational, as well, so should stand them in good steed when they start school. All are Mac compatible.

EdAlive - educational software: award-winning fun!

Available from Try & Byte...
    EdAlive - Try & Byte

...otherwise, you can get the Spongebob Squarepants game. Everyone loves Spongebob, right?!
    Spongebob Squarepants The Movie - Try & Byte

head over to the chadstone apple store with thekids and take them to the kids imacs (they are low to the ground with small seats in front of the registers) - they have kids games loaded on them so you can see if they like them

Just reviving this thread.

I'm desperately looking for some games for kids aged 10 and 11 to go with their new Macbook. The parents are looking for something educational, and all I can find are games aimed at really small kids.

What happened to games like Where in the World is Carmen Santiago?

Anyone have any suggestions? I've checked out the Apple Store and Streetwise so far.

All sorts here

google

downloadfreemacgames

My wife likes Tumblebugs

How about some real basic stuff - for my 1 and a bit year old who is real interested in the mouse...
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Hi - we have 4 kids who love playing games on our Mac and I am a primary teacher who has used Macs at school for many many years. Here are my favourites and theirs (not always the same of course!)

1. Kid Pix Studio/Kid Pix deluxe. A fantastic, open ended and creative game which allows so much more than drawing now, including movies and slide shows. You can use this yourself to create electronic books for the kids to watch if you're keen! My kids all started using this around 3 years of age and learned mouse control with it.

2. James Discovers Maths (Australian version) is awesome for 4-8 year olds.

3. Baileys book house/millie's maths house/sammy's science house. American but good for basic skills

4. The Playroom & the tree house (for the preschoolers- 5 years range)

5. Giggles computer funtime for Baby. My 2 year old loves this, we have the baby animals one. It is very funny to watch
    6. Logical journey of the zoombinis, for the 6-10 years group
    7. Widget workshop for the older kids (8-12)
    8. Talking books series (we have green eggs & ham, and the cat in the hat)
    9. My kids also have a selection of abandonware games from the Macintosh Garden site, great for those retro favourites.

Yes, Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego is still out there!!! (on macintosh garden)

We have a huge stock of programs, so many I can't remember them all, and they go in and out of fashion with the kids. Feel free to ask any more questions you think of,

Deb
    Macintosh SE (OS 7.1); 15" MBP Intel Core i5 2.4ghz (Snow Leopard); too many iGadgets

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    How about some real basic stuff - for my 1 and a bit year old who is real interested in the mouse...
    My 2 year old enjoys playing AlphaBaby.. loves it even more now that he recognises people in the photos.

Ah - just noticed I have already posted here... here are some more up to date thoughts and useful links for you ...

My all time favourite MUST HAVE kids program is Kidpix. I think it is called Kidpix Deluxe 3 or 4 ( the latest version). This is a masterpiece that has been popular with our kids and those at school for years and years, as it caters so well for different age groups. My kids started using it at about 2 years old - as soon as they could hold the mouse! I have used it with upper primary to create multimedia presentations. That is versatile for you!! It is fun, and can be as educational as you want it to be. I like that it fosters creativity while using the computer.

For younger kids, we have The Playroom (if you can get hold of it) - an early childhood must - have. Millie's Maths house, Bailey's Book House. If they're musical they will love Sibelius Groovy Shapes (my 4 year old has been right through this!). The Living Books series are great for teaching mouse manipulation skills. My kids all love "Maths Circus" (they have it at school too). We have a little game called Ladybugs (Ladybugs for Mac | Mac Games And More) which my youngest has loved for ages.

. My 8 & 10 year olds also play Bejeweled, Virtual Villagers Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, Sim Town, Sammy's Science House, James Discovers Maths, Phonics Alive, Logical journey of the Zoombinis (great for teamwork & problem solving for older primary). You can probably tell we have quite a quantity of software at home...

Most of the titles here:
    Dataworks Australia - Educational Software

And for the not so educationally minded, there are lots of favourites from here:
    Download Games for Mac | Safe & Secure Mac Game Downloads at Big Fish Games

So there you go, a huge answer to your question! Have fun!
    Macintosh SE (OS 7.1); 15" MBP Intel Core i5 2.4ghz (Snow Leopard); too many iGadgets