Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could, based on actual experience, recomend an external DVD burner for a friend of mine. My friend lives and works in a remote community so I will have to send whatever I get up and so I really need to get the correct thing 1st time. I guess that means that I need a burner that will work without needing to be patched.

My friend is using a G4 ibook 12" 1.2ghz and has toast 6 and wants to be able to export from iMovie to DVD. I know that she was given the ilife 05 update (including iDVD) when she purchased her iBook.

So my questions are:

1. What external DVD burners will connect to the iBook and 'just work'
    2. Will I be able to expect that iMovie will detect the external DVD burner and allow movies to be directly exported to it (by way of iDVD) or will my friend have to, for example, export to quicktime and then use toast to make a DVD?

Sorry if this has been covered before, I couldn't find it when I looked :-)

Try the pioneer 107D i have one and it works with everything and should be going cheap these days.
    MBP5,2 17" ,16GB IPhone 4S.

I use Pioneer's DVR-108 in an external USB2 case. I use patchburn ( http://www.patchburn.de/ ) to patch it and it works well with iLife '04.

answer 1: Without a patch would probably be LaCie's drives, sold at Apple stores and resellers. Bit more expensive than my option though.

answer 2: With tha LaCie burners, I'm pretty sure u can, but call up ur nearest Apple Store and ask if u want: http://store.apple.com.au/buy/

So she has iLife '05! Great! iDVD now gives u the option of creating a DVD image to burn with Toast/Disk Utility

Patching with Patchburn is dead easy, plug in the external burner and launch Patchburn. It searches for connected CD/DVD burners and lists them. Click on the drive u want and hit Install! Too easy! or if it doesnt show ur burner, refer to Patchburn's FAQ @ http://www.patchburn.de/faq.html

Hope this helps!

Does the Sony Duel Layer work with mac? I use it on the PC, it's great!
    MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 15" | iMac Core 2 Duo 20"
    iPod 5G 30GB | iPod nano 4GB | Apple TV 40GB | iPhone 3G 8GB

i use an LG super multi drive. it's white in colour and compliments my iBook perfectly. costs $179 last time i got it. download patchburn and everything will run fine (it's really important that u do, otherwise u won't be satisfied with your burner, GET IT -REALLY&#33. my burner has both firewire and usb 2.

although if u want a cheaper option, teds are selling an iMation external burner for only $99. only has usb 2 and not dual layer, but i doubt she'll need dual layer, unless she wants the latest and greatest. but hey, $99 for an external dvd burner, can't complain
    "Don't these talking monkeys know that Eden has enough to go around?" - Maynard

the lacie drives are great, I have a D2 DVD DL burner with toast titanium 6. On the instal CD there is a program that allows for the burning straight from any of the iapps.
    15" Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz, 2GB RAM, Dual layer SuperDrive, 10.5
    12" PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz, 512mb RAM, Combo drive, 10.5

Hey downsys - is your LG the GSA-4163B? I see them floating around on ebay as external firewire/USB 2.0 drives. Selling for around $140......fair price?

Like to know what you think.

Chris
    Lots of Apple stuff.......

Go with the LaCie d2 16x DVD±RW Double Layer FireWire (Streetwise $235.00). I have one and it works a treat!
    Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say 'ni' at will to old ladies.

Originally posted by shrubber@May 12 2005, 10:15 PM
    Go with the LaCie d2 16x DVD±RW Double Layer FireWire (Streetwise $235.00). I have one and it works a treat!
    Is this the highest spec burner you can get? (I noticed -R, +R recording speeds are different?

Thats media dependent the difference in - or + speeds.
    MBP5,2 17" ,16GB IPhone 4S.

Pioneer DVR-108 works great for me. (With patchburn & external casing)
    The DVR-109 is avaliable now for ~$80
    Notebook: Apple 15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz (Penryn)