Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Vinyl Cutter Issues

Hi All,

Long time no post...I'm in London, helping my brother back in Oz getting his shiny new plotter working on his eMac. No luck so far...here's the setup:

- eMac G4 1.2GHz
    - Mac OS X 10.4.x
    - Refine MH721 plotter (USB+serial+parallel ports), using USB A->B cable
    - SignCut X2 software

So he installed a driver that came with the cutter, and has downloaded a demo of SignCut X2 for Mac. He has followed SignCut's instructions for choosing Manufacturer=USCutter and Cutter=Refine MH721. However, the last drop-down box - 'Device' - should list something like 'dev/cu/MH721'...but all it lists is 'Write To File' and 'TCP/IP'.

Following SignCut's instructions again he tried downloading and installing a USB driver from here:
    Virtual COM Port Drivers
    ...but in SignCut he still doesn't get the option under 'Device' to select his cutter. We can't even confirm either installer actually put the USB driver in the right place, because we don't know where to look or what file to look for.

FYI we have both been doing much Googling before breaking down and asking for help. I don't want to have to tell him to set up an old cheap Windows machine to run a brand new plotter!

I'm hoping someone else here has been down this road and solved it...any help appreciated.

Cheers
    "O, what may man within him hide, Though angel on the outward side" - William Shakespeare

I'm no help but I have never seen a mac run a cutter, always been windows machines. Hope you sort it out,

Quote Originally Posted by Todders View Post
    I'm no help but I have never seen a mac run a cutter, always been windows machines. Hope you sort it out,
    Which is kinda silly, seeing how those things belong in a studio, where every other machine is probably a Mac :P
    "O, what may man within him hide, Though angel on the outward side" - William Shakespeare

Thumbs down

Symean,
    I'm no help either but for the last week have been experiencing exactly the same issues, so its pleasing to know that I am not the only one in the world.
    The only extra thing I tried yesterday was to purchase a usb to serial (RS-232) converter to try and convert a USB port. The install disk, supposedly compatible for MAC osx, won't download onto the system so this does not appear to be a solution either... unless there is something I am doing wrong.

Have connected clunky old windows machine to the plotter and it will run but then I would need to purchase more signcut software for windows.

So frustrating.

If I find a solution I'll let you know but will also await solutions from the rest of the world.

regards

Tassiecelt Guest

Just a thought - do Signcut offer any tech support on this one?

I'm thinking of buying Flexisign Pro, I have a working demo version, but for 25 years I've been using Signlab, and now with Macs I have to run it in windows - which is not always smooth sailing.

Is your plotter USB? I tried running a serial plotter with a USB/serial converter - it caused problems.

EdgeOfQuarrel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by symean View Post
    has downloaded a demo of SignCut X2 for Mac. He has followed SignCut's instructions for choosing Manufacturer=USCutter and Cutter=Refine MH721. However, the last drop-down box - 'Device' - should list something like 'dev/cu/MH721'...but all it lists is 'Write To File' and 'TCP/IP'.
    Is the demo version of the software crippled in any way?

Sometimes they do like to disable that 1 key feature like save or print but the rest is fully functional.

Every signwriter i know used a windoze shitbox to run the plotter from though even when they work on a mac.

The demo isn't crippled in any way except that you can't output a cut more than 10cm square I think, and it's also only for 7 days...nether should be causing the issues. The problem seems to lie with the system not making available the USB driver that has been installed (or the Virtual Com Port driver), or that Signcut isn't 'reading' that it's there, hence no option under 'Device' to select the cutter.

My brother ended up buying an el-cheapo second hand Windows machine to run it, he had to get it running ASAP.

Pity...he has been using an eMac for games, video chats to me in London and for his kids to say hi to grandma, his business accounts, internet, email...everything up until now.

I told him to never, EVER use the Windows box for connecting to the internet, and to never install anything else on it apart from the cutter software...unless he wants it to go all pear-shaped :P

Default Setup...

Do you have the cutter selected in Signcut? Use the cutter button.

Do you have the driver installed?

Does the MAC see hte vinyl cutter?

I used this EXACT setup to do a LOT of cutting. worked great. Also check out Vinyl Cutter Help

All the best,

Josh

Default Easy Cut Studio work fine.

I'm thinking of buying Easy Cut Studio from Vinyl sign cutting software to cut SVG, shape, fonts | Easy Cut Studio , I have a working trial version and I have to run it in windows - which is not always smooth sailing.