Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Telstra Turbo Connection Manager

Hi. I am using a Telstra prepaid wireless (NextG) modem (ZTE MF626) on a new MacBook.
    It has been working fine for the past 3 weeks.
    However, I have noticed that the software (Telstra Turbo Connection Manager) is writing to the Mac system.log file constantly. My system.log file was 1.24GB in size, and increasing at a rate of about 15MB per hour!

Has anyone else had this problem?

If you are not familiar with the system log, it can be viewed by using Console (in the Utilities folder).

My concern is that if this file continues growing at this rate, it will soon be unmanageable, and may cause system problems.

I would appreciate any information from anyone else running the Mac version of the Telstra software, to know if mine is an isolated problem, and any advice anyone may have on how I can stop Telstra's software clogging up my hard disk.

Many thanks
    David.

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Does the ZTE work as a dialup modem? What does it appear as in network preferences?

It is Telstra's NextG prepaid wireless broadband modem that comes it the $149 kit.
    It is a USB device (looks like a memory stick), with a NextG sim installed.
    The first time you use it, it installs the software (Turbo Connection Manager) which includes 2 network services;
    ZTEUSBATPort and ZTEUSBModem. When the device is running only the first of these is active, with the symbol of a modem next to it. However the settings are mostly blank (like the phone number etc), as these are controlled by the Turbo Connection Manager software...

Lumus's Avatar Lumus is offline I think whatever comes into my brain...

Dodgy software perhaps? Maybe they left debugging code in it when they shipped it...?
    Function can't coffee without in the morning.

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

If its reporting to OS X as a dialup modem I'm able to help you setting it up directly through the OS and bypass the software. Are you using 10.4 or 10.5?

chrome's Avatar chrome is offline MacTalk Engineering Department of Horrors. Mutilator of HTML Templates Extraordinaire. Man with the Very Long User Title. No you can't have one. Ha ha.

Can you paste some of the messages?
    In ur forums, upgradin'.

Open network preferences, select the ZTEUSBModem port form the left hand side and enter *99# as the phone number, and tick the box to Show modem status in menu bar. Click Advanced and configure the first page like the following, noting that on Telstra the APN is telstra.datapack:

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch
    Click OK, click Apply.

You can now use the modem status icon in the menu bar to connect and disconnect, completely bypassing the Telstra ZTE software.

Thank you so much, it is working fine. One change though, I checked the APN (as set in the Telstra software) and it stated that it was telstra.internet so I have used that. All appears to be working and the system.log is now stable.

For completeness, and in response to chrome, here is a section of my system.log file. It is the entries for 1 second, at 9:22 this morning ;

Nov 28 09:22:06 MacBook Telstra Turbo Connection Manager[320]: state:8
    Nov 28 09:22:06 MacBook Telstra Turbo Connection Manager[320]: [_tblInvocations count] = 0
    Nov 28 09:22:06 MacBook Telstra Turbo Connection Manager[320]: Dial internet, Restore All User Actions!!!!
    Nov 28 09:22:06 MacBook Telstra Turbo Connection Manager[320]: [_tblInvocations count] = 0
    Nov 28 09:22:06 MacBook Telstra Turbo Connection Manager[320]: Dial internet, Restore All User Actions!!!!
    Nov 28 09:22:06 MacBook Telstra Turbo Connection Manager[320]: [doWithStatusSession:]session = 10020
    Nov 28 09:22:06 MacBook Telstra Turbo Connection Manager[320]: [addCSQWithModuleId:]
    Nov 28 09:22:06 MacBook Telstra Turbo Connection Manager[320]: addCSQWithModuleId:mQueue count = 0
    Nov 28 09:22:06 MacBook Telstra Turbo Connection Manager[320]: [sendHeadCmdToBack:] (A) ZTEDMgr Status Status Cmd is Running

Quote Originally Posted by davidashe View Post
    Thank you so much, it is working fine. One change though, I checked the APN (as set in the Telstra software) and it stated that it was telstra.internet so I have used that. All appears to be working and the system.log is now stable.
    Excellent - Telstra use a number of APNs and its been a long time since I used their services. I think either works fine

Glad I could solve your issue.

thats very weird..

My Telstra 3g USB 626 appears as a Bluetooth device on my Macbook Air..

Ill grab some screen shots tonight..

ahh ignore this Exocet must have a different modem

bigg - I'm using a 3 modem so it looks a little different but the premise is the same.

Problem persists...

The solution of using the OS network settings to bypass the Telstra software works, however it presents 2 additional problems...

Firstly the Telstra software launches as soon as the USB modem is plugged in. I can quit the application, however more often than not, if I then try to connect using the modem in the menubar, it says that it can't find the device. If I leave the software running then connect using the modem script, it connects happily but then disconnects as soon as I quit the Telstra software.

I can catch it, between loading the software and registering the device, and if I quit at that time I can use the modem script to connect, however it is a bit hit and miss.

However even if I do get it going, it looses the connection after about 40 minutes. I can't find anything that prompts it to drop the connection (all the PPP settings are to not disconnect), however once it has dropped it, the USB device isn't found, and I have to resort to unplugging it, and trying to catch it again so it will connect...

All in all not very satisfactory, so in the meantime I have gone back to using Telstra's software and manually clearing the system.log 3 times a day...

Any suggestions?

D.

i purchased this modem today.

the install software adds an item named "Mac_SwapperDemon" to your login items (system prefes --> accounts --> login items)

i believe it's this demon that triggers the auto load of the telstra turbo software

delete the login item "Mac_SwapperDemon" and the Telstra software no longer auto loads.

i have no idea if "Mac_SwapperDemon" actually does anything else, other than auto load the T software... i've only had the modem about 6 hours so it's trial and error for me (and I don't have an option to add an APN in network pref's, so I havn't been able to drop the T software yet.)
    edit - found the APN. my modem was set to other/zte usb modem, i set to generic/3g and i have the APN option now.

Without the Mac_SwapperDemon, the device is not recognised. It is simply regarded as a memory stick, containing the Telstra software.
    If I then manually run the Mac_SwapperDemon it recognises the modem, but if I quit the software (which launches automatically) then the modem script fails at Authentication.

I would appreciate any info you find out as you play around with it. ZTE have acknowledged the problem, and sent me the latest version of their software which, although cleans up some of the screens, doesn't solve the system.log problem.

If you are running the T01 version, you can get what they say is the update, M01 from;

http://www.zte.com.au/downloads/soft...nager.mpkg.zip

david,

i'm not seeing that result with removing "Mac_SwapperDemon".

ie. i've removed macswapperdemon, and configured the device as above (generic/3g/telstra.internet apn, *99# dial number) and it WORKS.

i can connect/disconnect successfully using only the System Pref/network pane, without loading the T software at all.

my usb modem shipped with the M01 firmware/software.

edit - i also have the rogue system.log entries when using the T software.

It may be that they have started shipping the device with different firmware, but I doubt it.

I find that if I either logout or shut down... remove the modem, login again and plug it back in, it remains as a drive, and profiler reports;
    ZTE CDMA Technologies MSM:

Capacity: 16.7 MB
    Removable Media: Yes
    Detachable Drive: Yes
    BSD Name: disk1
    Product ID: 0x2000
    Vendor ID: 0x19d2
    Version: 0.00
    Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
    Manufacturer: ZTE, Incorporated
    Location ID: 0x26200000
    Current Available (mA): 500
    Current Required (mA): 500
    Mac OS 9 Drivers: No
    Partition Map Type: Unknown
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
    Volumes:
    ZTEMODEM:
    Capacity: 14.5 MB
    Writable: No
    File System: HFS+
    BSD Name: disk1s0s2
    Mount Point: /Volumes/ZTEMODEM

It then sits there as a removable drive.

If I then run the Mac_SwapperDemon, the drive disappears and the System Profiler changes to;
    ZTE CDMA Technologies MSM:

Product ID: 0x0031
    Vendor ID: 0x19d2
    Version: 0.00
    Serial Number: 1234567890ABCDEF
    Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
    Manufacturer: ZTE, Incorporated
    Location ID: 0x26200000
    Current Available (mA): 500
    Current Required (mA): 500

So something in the Mac_SwapperDemon is telling the device to stop being a removable drive.

Vandozza, have you disconnected and reconnected your modem after disabling the Mac_SwapperDemon?

yes i had disconnected and reconnected my usb modem... however... what i hadn't done was to restart after removing "mac_swapperdemon"

so yeah, you are completely correct removing MSD makes the usb modem be incorrectly recognised/not seen as a modem.

i think however if you move the T software from /applications to /applications/utilities, then it will stop the autoload of the software.

removing MSD OR moving the T software has certainly stopped the autoload... it looks like it was moving the T sw, and not the MSD removal.

OK
    I have tried several things and this is what I get...
    1. leave the Mac_SwapperDemon in the logon items...
    This tells the dongle to switch from being a removable drive to modem
    2. Put the Telstra software in the Utilities folder.
    The Telstra software no longer loads automatically.
    3. Use the normal Network Modem connection in the Sys Preferences to connect.

This all works fine...
    ...for about 50 minutes.

Then the line drops.

Actually the USB connection drops. If I try to connect again it says that the modem can't be found, and System Profiler says that there is nothing connected to the USB bus.

This can be remedied by unplugging and reconnecting the MF626. Not ideal.

Something in the Telstra software is keeping the modem alive. (I usually leave it connected all day)

Anyone have any idea what it is? and can it be done some other way?

Guys there's a fix in the works - the update that should be released very soon will fix the logging issue.

www.zte.com.au • Login
    MacBook Unibody 2.4GHz // iPhone 4 32GB (Telstra) // iPad 2 64GB Wifi+3G
    twitter | lifestream | last.fm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast