Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Telstra Prepaid Wireless Modem

I purchased the Telstra prepaid modem yesterday for Mac book pro 2,1 from Telstra Ballina. No one there was familiar with Mac, but for almost 2 hours endevoured to set it up with no success. The device was proved to be working correctly in their PC. Came home and started reading your forums, and was able to manually configure successfully. Only one problem, the device only shows in Network, and that is the only place I am able to close it down and remove. Are there more setting to configure? I am a newby. Many thanks to all.

Hi Lorna

In the Network System Preference, there is a check box that says "Show modem status in menu bar".
    If you check that box, then you should see an icon of a telephone handset in the menu bar, top right on the screen. (It should be next to your airport icon). You will be able to connect and disconnect from there.

If you would like help getting the Telstra software running, reply to the post, and I'll lead you through it.
    D.

Default Telstra prepaid wireless modom

Hi Dave

Thank you for your help. From earlier posts I have been able to configure and have it running, just didn't tick the right box. Have done so now and all is fine. The device is working well at home, hope it will in a caravan, will be great to have.

Update has been released:

ZTE Australia > Downloads > MF626

Posted in ZTE forums:

I have downloaded and attempted to do an upgrade using Parallels (XP) on my Mac.

For some reason I have lost the ability to access the memory/storage portion of the key. Even if I have a micro SD card installed it still does not load. This occurred before I started the upgrade whilst I was switching between the Mac OS X and Windows...seems like it has become corrupted in this process.

This is the end of the log file from the upgrade...

2008.12.24 21:53:44°™°™NV backup success!
    2008.12.24 21:53:44°™°™switch to DownLoad mode...
    2008.12.24 21:53:51°™°™Download armprg.bin...
    2008.12.24 21:53:59°™°™skip to armprg.bin...
    2008.12.24 21:54:3°™°™skip fail!

The key can still access the internet (software still auto loads), however I can not complete the upgrade. I imagine that since it cannot write to the "usb key" it fails.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Not sure that I can be a lot of help with this, except tell you my experience...

I used Boot Camp, running XP (SP2)

followed the instructions on the upgrade and it failed, saying that it couldn't write the data to the device, and then hung saying "waiting". In the end, despite all the warnings not to disconnect the device until in says "success" I had to pull it out.

Plugged it back in, and it launched (windows version of) Turbo Manager. Exited the software and tried again. This time it completed successfully.

It now works on both the Mac and Windows partitions. (both running M02)

However there is still a significant amount of log data going to the System.log and it still drops out (if not using the turbo manager) after about 50 minutes.

Your error report looks like the about the same point that my first attempt failed.

I would try using Boot Camp and see if it'll pick up where it left off...

Thanks for the info. I see you also posted a reply in the ZTE forums, Thanks.

I just realised that I am at XP SP3 so not sure if that makes a difference. Might try again using XP2 machine but getting cautious that I might brick it.

The loss of access to the memory card has me at a loss, although the Telstra Turbo Manager launches when I plug it in. When I tried it on a new machine it could not load the auto install so something is amiss.

Maybe when I do the firmware update this will return. Although if the data logging problem still persists maybe it is not worth the upgrade just yet.

Merry Christmas...

oh sorry i thought the OP was joking when he put the oxymoron "telstra" and "turbo" together in the title

my bad
    pics or it didn't happen :P

I would try using Boot Camp and see if it'll pick up where it left off...[/QUOTE]

Finally got it to work. Used a windows box with SP3 which worked fine. Running the new Turbo Manager software M02 I am seeing less clutter in the console log.

Default help usb modem

Hi,

I would like to connect my key usb 3G+ and use it as modem with my mac but I don't known how I can do in order to configurate it ?

what do I need for DNS, wins, proxys and ppp ?

Nota : I use a ZTE Key USB MF626 (Téléphone portable ZTE Cle USB MF626 - Téléphone mobile ZTE Cle USB MF626 avec Forfait ou &agrave carte : la Boutique Bouygues Telecom)

Thank you for your answers

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Have you installed the software which came from your carrier? Generally the settings are preconfigured.

Default Think twice before updating firmware

Quote Originally Posted by davidashe View Post
    Without the Mac_SwapperDemon, the device is not recognised. It is simply regarded as a memory stick, containing the Telstra software.
    If I then manually run the Mac_SwapperDemon it recognises the modem, but if I quit the software (which launches automatically) then the modem script fails at Authentication.

I would appreciate any info you find out as you play around with it. ZTE have acknowledged the problem, and sent me the latest version of their software which, although cleans up some of the screens, doesn't solve the system.log problem.

If you are running the T01 version, you can get what they say is the update, M01 from;

http://www.zte.com.au/downloads/soft...nager.mpkg.zip
    I got the updated firmware for this (version 2.0) and tried to flash the modem with it.
    You can only do this on a Windows PC. I followed the installation to the letter but after a while, when it appeared to be updating ok, Windows came up with a message that it'd lost communications with the USB port and the update program hung. After about an hour, I decided I'd have to pull out the modem and restart the upgrade.
    That's when I discovered that the update had trashed the modem and it was then worthless.

I took the modem back to Telstra and they said they would have to send it back for testing.
    It was only when I got shirty that they replaced it with another one.
    I posted this in another forum and others had had the same problem.

I currently have the MF626 modem with the T03 connection manager. I have downloaded the M02 update from the ZTE website.

In summary, what is this recommended steps to update the software to avoid the logging issue?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Have you installed the software which came from your carrier? Generally the settings are preconfigured.
    the software was installed automatically when I plugged the key in my mac. But when I start an internet connection, I have 2 possibilities, first one to use my hey as port or as modem. I would like to use it as modem. But it doesn't.

I've been using the prepaid Telstra modem for a couple of months and especially recently over the holidays from our beach house. In the standard configuration using the supplied software.
    No issues whatsoever on my 17" MBP and the system log file is only 56kb with only a single entry from the Telstra modem.
    The prepaid NEXT G is expensive however the service and speed is excellent and for a prepaid part time solution its been good for me while I've been away on business or on Holiday.

I had a problem connecting with the Prepaid modem I bought yesterday but it worked fine on my wife's PeeCee, I rang Telstra and was on the phone for 2 hours with no joy, I rang back this morning and finally spoke to someone who knew something about Macs he told me to go to network in System Preferences and voila away it went, why they don't make mention of this in the help file and save customers some grief I don't know!

One of the 10 or so people I spoke to told me they always have trouble and she hate them, I let her know what I think of PeeCees (Pieces Of Crap)
    iPhone 4 - Macbook Pro 15.4 - Powerbook 17" 1.5GH, ATV, iMac,iPad, iPhone 5, MacBook Pro (Retina)

I have the same kind of issue on my chief photographers MacBook Pro (Late 2008) with a Huawei E800 HSDPA expresscard. Drops connection after a few seconds, almost every time. I'v done all sorts of variations of the mac_swapperdemon stopping/starting stuff but still can't get an active connection. So strange since his off-sider has the same setup and no issues!

Default feel like I've tried it all

Quote Originally Posted by vid View Post
    I had a problem connecting with the Prepaid modem I bought yesterday .....finally spoke to someone who knew something about Macs he told me to go to network in System Preferences and voila away it went...
    I have had the same experience (although I have resisted telephoning Telstra...would be too much to bear on a long weekend!). I feel as though I have tried the tips in previous posts. But I still always get the failure at the "authentication" stage and the message from Internet Connect:

"Could not negotiate a connection with the remote PPP server. Please verify your settings and try again."

So I'd love to have the settings that gave vid their voila moment.

Thanks

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

sounds like the APN has been shot. You can set it via the screen command in Terminal with:
    AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","telstra.internet"

What the device name is I'm not sure - does anybody have one who can test?

Apologies in advance for flogging a dead horse. I have recently purchased the MF626 modem with Telstra prepaid and have not been able to get it to work. It installed just fine, the Turbo Connection program opens, the lights on the modem come on, but there doesn't seem to be any connection between them. There are no modems displayed in the Network preferences.

I stuck it in a friends identical macbook and 30sec later he was online... It also works on my macbook via Parallels.

OSX 10.5.6

Any help appreciated. many thanks. bj

anyone pulled the SIM out of a Telstra white pre paid USB modem...
    and put their iPhone SIM in?

I get better rates using my iPhone data pack than the pre paid charges... and whilst it would be a pain to have to swap SIM's every time on the road - but the data rates are MUCH better!?!?!
    mulitple iOS devices - iPhone, iPad Air, and iPod nano
    Mac OS X
    - 13 MacBook Pro with Retina, Mac mini for media server, and a Mac Book Air here somewhere still too

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast