Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default iPhone Cover Flow - Same Album NOT Same Artist

Hi All,

I've searched through the forums to find something on this topic so I apologise in advance if this is a duplicate.

Given the iPhone only has 16G of space, I load lots of "Greatest Hits" albums onto it so I can listen to the best songs from different artists to save space.

However, I have noted that no matter what I do, it consolidates all the different GH albums under the first Artist in the list on the phone - both under Album and using Cover Flow.

I have tagged each album with the right Artist and duplicated the Artist in Album Artist fields. I have tried tagging as "Compilation", adding "CD# 1 of 1" and removing / re-adding into iTunes without success...

the only way I have to get around this is to not call the album "Greatest Hits" but I find this very frustrating and am running out of variations...

Does anyone know how to fix this please???

In Cover Flow the artist that's being displayed is the Album Artist, not the artist for a track (which is how the artist part of the iPod sorts them). You can fix this by clicking Get Info for the tracks in iTunes and changing the Album Artist field to whatever artist you want to show up in Cover Flow.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoRicen View Post
    In Cover Flow the artist that's being displayed is the Album Artist, not the artist for a track (which is how the artist part of the iPod sorts them). You can fix this by clicking Get Info for the tracks in iTunes and changing the Album Artist field to whatever artist you want to show up in Cover Flow.
    Thanks so much NeoRicen. I've tried this approach but unfortunately same end result

The album artist must be same for each track, otherwise you end up with multiple album covers. It can be clear, or "Various", but it has to be the same. The easiest way to achieve that is to select all tracks of the album, calling up cmd-I and changing the Album Artist field to something.

There are other fields that can break up an album, too. I forget which ones they are, apart from the Album Title obviously. But you can find them by selecting the first track, bringing up the info window and then stepping through the tracks, looking for changes in the fields.

Cheers
    Steffen.

EDIT on second (and third) reading of the OP I'm not sure I understand the issue, but it doesn't appear to be the one I'm familiar with. An album should be uniquely identified by album tile and album artist. As long as the artist is different there can be many albums called "Greatest Hits" and they should still be treated separately.
    It's Unix, Jim, but not as we know it...

Quote Originally Posted by dotnet View Post
    The album artist must be same for each track, otherwise you end up with multiple album covers. It can be clear, or "Various", but it has to be the same. The easiest way to achieve that is to select all tracks of the album, calling up cmd-I and changing the Album Artist field to something.

There are other fields that can break up an album, too. I forget which ones they are, apart from the Album Title obviously. But you can find them by selecting the first track, bringing up the info window and then stepping through the tracks, looking for changes in the fields.

Cheers
    Steffen.

EDIT on second (and third) reading of the OP I'm not sure I understand the issue, but it doesn't appear to be the one I'm familiar with. An album should be uniquely identified by album tile and album artist. As long as the artist is different there can be many albums called "Greatest Hits" and they should still be treated separately.
    I agree wholeheartedly Steffen. If the Artist & Album Artist are all different, then if there are many "Greatest Hits" then they should be treated differently.. And they are when I look at them in iTunes, just not on my iPhone!!! SO frustrating..

The only way I can get around it is to change the title of the album (like "Their Greatest Hits" and "His Greatest Hits" or "Her Greatest Hits") but to me this defeats the purpose and takes away from the true nature of the album...

ARGH!!!

Ok, I found a solution.

What you need to do is go to Get Info on the tracks of one Album, click the Sorting Tab, and Change the Sort Album to something different for each album.

The easiest thing to do would be to change Sort Album to Greatest Hits 1, Greatest Hits 2 etc. The Album will still be called Greatest Hits, but it will be treated as if it were Greatest Hits 1, and therefore a different Album, then it will show up separately in Cover Flow and iTunes.

EDIT: Ok, it shows up separately in Cover Flow and iTunes, but for some reason not in the regular Album List view on the iPod/Phone.

EDIT: Ok, this is weird, if the Sort Album name is too similar to another album it will group it in with that. So the best thing to do would be to name the Sort Album '(Artists) Greatest Hits'.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoRicen View Post
    Ok, I found a solution.

What you need to do is go to Get Info on the tracks of one Album, click the Sorting Tab, and Change the Sort Album to something different for each album.

The easiest thing to do would be to change Sort Album to Greatest Hits 1, Greatest Hits 2 etc. The Album will still be called Greatest Hits, but it will be treated as if it were Greatest Hits 1, and therefore a different Album, then it will show up separately in Cover Flow and iTunes.

EDIT: Ok, it shows up separately in Cover Flow and iTunes, but for some reason not in the regular Album List view on the iPod/Phone.

EDIT: Ok, this is weird, if the Sort Album name is too similar to another album it will group it in with that. So the best thing to do would be to name the Sort Album '(Artists) Greatest Hits'.
    Thanks a bunch for giving it a good shot NeoRicen! Think it will just have to remain one of life's little mysteries...