Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

» Join the discussions, Register Now!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Anyone here in the radio industry?

I know this is such a slim chance, but is anyone here in the radio industry?
    I'm trying to find a way in, because it's my ambition to produce radio, but it's finding the starting point that's the hardest.

If you could reply or PM me, I'd really love to pick your brain on where to get myself started.
    And yes, I have some experience under my belt. Let's get that part out of the way.

Regards,
    Ben.
    MacBook 5,1: 2.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, SuperDrive, OS X 10.7, Windows 7
    Mac Mini 4,1: 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 1TB Ext. HDD (Time Machine), 2TB Ext. HDD, OS X 10.8

Breaking into metropolitan-based commercial radio is incredibly difficult, even for people who know people. it is excruciatingly difficult in Sydney, the nation's media capital. The production side is actually the hardest aspect to get into. General staff is easy, advertising staff is a bit harder, and getting a spot at the mic isn't as difficult as people think, but being allowed at the main desk? That takes persistence and a lot of hard slog.

The usual approach is to start by getting some kind of audio engineering bit of paper (an SAE diploma, for example), then volunteer work in a community radio station, work your way in and up to several hours a week, then start banging on the doors of the country commercial stations as a junior. Two years or so of country station work will be just enough to establish some industry rep, then you can start thinking about approaching the city networks. You will need both an excellent production record, top-notch track record for quality, and a long list of industry-based references and checkable experience, before the city networks will even think of contemplating letting you anywhere near their bread-n-butter output.

My brother and his mates appears on local community radio, so maybe doing some volunteer work at your equivalent would be a good way to start (if that isn't already the experience you're talking about).

volunteering is the way to go.

Im not in the radio industry, but I did volunteer at 6PR/96fm in high school to see if it was an industry I'd like to get into.

A radio station in your area should have some kind of volunteer/work experience program, so once you've done that, you can either volunteer some more at other stations or put it on your resume as a step in
    MY FIRST MAC: 13" Aluminium MacBook

Like I said, I have some experience under my belt.
    Shitloads of internet radio experience. Have done a handful of hours of mic work, and know the basics of the equipment and software.

It's just the matter of finding somewhere that wants to take me on.
    The community radio option is out of the question. The local one is owned by old farts who won't let anyone under 75 even think about walking in the door, and there's pretty much nothing else around here for a long distance.
    I also work full time, hence why anything further than the local one isn't viable.
    MacBook 5,1: 2.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, SuperDrive, OS X 10.7, Windows 7
    Mac Mini 4,1: 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 1TB Ext. HDD (Time Machine), 2TB Ext. HDD, OS X 10.8

Sorry muchacho, but internet radio don't mean jackshit as far as local industry is concerned, except as a minor adjunct to existing broadcast technology (streams that are derived from the normal on-air transmissions and sent to the web or captured and packaged into podcasts). And without some form of recognised audio engineering training you're going to have trouble stopping your resumé from ending up in the shredder.

Competition is fierce, very fierce, and the media industry is about the most cut-throat business there is.

If you're not prepared to beg & plead to get in at your local community station, you're going to have to move or be prepared to travel to find a place that will accept you for volunteer work.

(In the FWIW Dept: I have worked in radio, I did an SAE diploma in the mid 90's and after much begging, got an unpaid gig at 5UV (University of Adelaide's student AM station), doing record library work before I was allowed near a console; from there, I did a year's three-times-a-week volunteer work in Adelaide's 3D Radio, and in the end decided radio wasn't for me. I still have some friends in the industry, and they've implied that cracking into radio has gotten harder over the years, not easier.)

I work in the TV industry but I know a lot of radio people, and every one of them got their first break working (or doing work experience/ volunteering) at regional and interstate stations doing midnight to dawn shifts. It's a hard slog, but it gets your foot in the door and gives you the opportunity to gain many hours of experience which will pay dividends when you eventually apply for positions at larger city stations

A friend of mine volunteers at a local radio station and is currently doing a Uni course in commercial radio at Deakin. I'm not sure what his chances will be like at getting a job at one of the large stations though, from what I've read in this thread so far not all that good.

what is so good about producing radio?

Are there any other community radio stations that might suit you? Even if you have to travel a little way to get there, if it's your dream then it should be worth it.

Adelaide's local 'dance' community station is screaming out for volunteers at the moment (don't know if on air or not). I have been waaaay to busy with work and fun over the last 10 years, but since I'm knocking my work hours down next year, I might have a go...I've done two shows at 5UV and one at another community station...surely three times in total in a radio studio would be enough...hahahaha.
    The DC3 : "I was the guy in TISM". And an album (soon to be two). Out now. http://thedc3.com.au/