Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Senate passes same-sex laws- NOT News!

Today I received this email from GetUp (join if your not already a member) :

Last night the Senate passed historic legislation removing outdated discrimination against same s-x* couples in scores of laws ranging from tax, superannuation and Medicare to social security, health, aged care and employment.
    But where is any mention of this in the news?

A quick search on google news pulled up a few stories that were hidden on some websites, but I though this would have been on the front web page of any major news service.

This is the abc.net.au coverage -

The Senate has passed changes to around 100 Commonwealth laws to remove discrimination against same-sex couples.

The changes cover areas like superannuation, health, employment entitlements and aged care but do not provide for gay marriage.

The bill will go back to the House of Representatives, before being sent to the Governor General for final approval.
    How about some more information journalists!
    twitter | flickr | Blog | My Website
    20" Aluminium iMac 16GB White iPhone Black MacBook Apple TV

Quote Originally Posted by chaosboi View Post
    How about some more information journalists!
    Here you go

25 November 2008 - Interview with Virginia Trioli ABC2 Breakfast

Mate, television and radio are slow news

The internet (fast news) is your unbiased friend

Setup your custom Google news homepage and go forth and learn the truth my friend

Hello, that isn't news, this is news according to perhaps the leading online outlet;

We have a main feature about celeb internet hoaxes, feature articles about Gordon Ramsy's personal life, lesbian murder lovers breaking up and the top story in the breaking news column about prostitutes shunning condoms...

Fuck I want to be on the first spaceship off this planet...

Where's that good old gif showing someone banging their head on a brick wall when you need it...?

Yes, journalism to the lowest common moron sucks.
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

As far as TV news goes I will only watch ABC. The other channels are a joke. I only pay for the local newspaper, and in all other cases I try to read online news papers that have some (albeit small) measure of intelligence in their reporting.

In any case, it's good to hear that there is finally some progress on this issue. It's taken far too long.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post
    Where's that good old gif showing someone banging their head on a brick wall when you need it...?

Yes, journalism to the lowest common moron sucks.
    I'll do one better

............................................______ __
    ....................................,.-...................``~.,
    .............................,.-...................................-.,
    .........................,/...............................................:,
    .....................,?........................... ...........................\,
    .................../.................................................. .........,}
    ................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
    .............../.................................................. .,:........./
    ..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....~,_........~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
    ..........{.._$;_......=,_.......-,_.......,.-~-,},.~;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......=-._......;,,./`..../............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......~.,....................`..... }............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichobo View Post

Since the intertubes carry news far faster than papers and TV can do these days the old media has to go for more opinion pieces and gossip dressed as news in order to attract readers.

I find it more interesting that there aren't any 'Shock! Horror! The world is ending' headlines. Perhaps we're all growing up a little bit so that we don't see this as anything enough out of the ordinary to make it news.
    Pass the crystal, spread the Tarot, in illusion comfort lies

http://www.mistfall.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    [IMG]

I find it more interesting that there aren't any 'Shock! Horror! The world is ending' headlines. Perhaps we're all growing up a little bit so that we don't see this as anything enough out of the ordinary to make it news.
    Give it a day.
    I am the tech savvy at-risk youth.

GetUp! Campaign Actions

Remember to sign up for your free bumper sticker.

Seriously I'm not the biggest fan of the Rudd Government (case in point the abominable Internet Filter), but this is great news. But annoying that the mainstream media is virtually ignoring it. Agreed with the first spaceship off the planet comment above.

NEWS:
    Welcome to equality. Same sex couples now to be ignored just as much as everyone else.
    This opinion intentionally left blank.

I'm glad the MSM is ignoring it for now. The longer it gets ignored by the media, the more time there is to enjoy it without the bigots coming out decrying the waste of government time or with claims that "poofs already have enough rights, they're lucky they don't live in a Muslim country".

The Barcelona of The Southern Hemisphere (a.k.a Adelaide)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.wilson View Post
    We have a main feature about celeb internet hoaxes, feature articles about Gordon Ramsy's personal life, lesbian murder lovers breaking up and the top story in the breaking news column about prostitutes shunning condoms...
    That news web page isn't even worthy of being printed out and used to wrap fish and chips with!
    Just another insomniac in the land of the narcoleptic.
    ---
    //c, SE/30, Powerbook 160, MP2100, MacBook 2006, iMac Core 2 Duo 2010

It will be bigger news when it passes both houses. It doesn't actually mean anything yet.

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoRicen View Post
    It will be bigger news when it passes both houses. It doesn't actually mean anything yet.
    Thank you!

It doesn't actually mean anything yet.
    Senate was the hard the part. Labor has majority in the Reps, so it will pass easily. And I can't imagine the GG doing anything other than allowing it.

The Sydney Morning Herald posted this article on Monday the 24th;

Government removes same-sex discrimination - National - smh.com.au

It was posted on the site at 10:06 PM Monday and I distinctly recall reading it as a head line on Tuesday Morning.