Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Pondering a switch PC > MAC

Hello.

At the moment I'm using a Windows based laptop with the following specs.

Dell 1720, T7700 C2D, 4GB ram, 600GB HDD and a 8600GT on a 17inch monitor.

Im thinking of getting the base model new MBP which consists of:

2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 15-inch widescreen, 4GB Memory, 320GB hard drive1, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB.

What I want to know is, for the parts that come with the MBP, why is it so bloody expensive? I got the 1720 with all those add ons, a YEAR ago for almost the same exact price. I do alot of work with Flash, Photoshop and Fireworks so would there be a performance increase at all with the Mac? Does Leopard run things better than XP/Vista?

I guess my overall question is, what the point? I've yet to see the *big* upside other than it weighing a lot less. I'm trying to convince myself (so are a few other people) but looking at the specs and prices the Mac isn't selling itself that well. And I am definately upgrading regardless, I will not be sticking with the back breaker.

The one I configured comes to $4498 not that different from base model though. Damn insurance coverage plan!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Go into a store and have a look at the quality difference between the two. I don't think you will find them comparable.

Ultimately the software (Mac OS X) and the build quality are not comparable at all.
    It's like that old saying goes: "you get what you pay for.."
    Tervetuloa helvettiin, pieni enkeli

Had it not been for the aussie dollar hike, the new MBP would have been ~$2899. You need to factor that in.

They are built exceptionally well, don't flex/creak etc.

Don't worry about the hard disk size, pickup 500GB WD 2.5" sata for ~$250 and pop it in, they're cheap now.

A T7100 is 1.8 GHZ I think, so the MBP is a lot faster. Also when I looked up the Dell 1720 it seems like it came with a 320GB drive, not a 600gb... I didn't think 600gb notebook drives existed yet, unless it's a desktop replacement machine with a 3.5" drive.

Anyway, yes they are more expensive, but regardless, I'll never buy a PC again. (unless it's for a freenas box or somesuch)

If you knew me, you'd know that not wanting a PC ever again is a pretty massive thing

I was in the same position as you not long ago (few weeks).

At the end of the day - it's expensive because of two things:

Mac OS X
    Build Quality
    "The radio makes hideous sounds" - Bob Dylan.

Apple controls the hardware and software... their system is a lot more stable than Windows machines that are built by "2" different entities - ie Windows and the hardware manufacturers.

Also Apple spends a lot on R&D... there's a lot of tech out there in the computer market that was pioneered or improved by Apple. That means you pay a bit more for their products.

Do you want to live in the penthouse, or the baesment... Using a Mac gives you a better view.
    MacTalk - the bianca's of geekdom
    thecosmichobo - as seen on YouTube - "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" "Bigger on the Inside?" "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!" and lots more!

Quote Originally Posted by Darwiniandude View Post
    A T7100 is 1.8 GHZ I think, so the MBP is a lot faster.
    Its a T7700, not T7100.

Quote Originally Posted by Darwiniandude View Post
    Also when I looked up the Dell 1720 it seems like it came with a 320GB drive, not a 600gb... I didn't think 600gb notebook drives existed yet, unless it's a desktop replacement machine with a 3.5" drive.
    Its actually 640GB to be exact, it has 2 HDD's in it.

I think I'll get one. I just hope I can sell this heap of junk for something decent. Also regarding the build quality, my brother dropped his (last generation) MBP about a foot and the whole thing cracked, screen shattered and the HDD broke. I've dropped my Dell (shitty, but it held up) at least 3 times (or someones tripped over the power cord) and it hasn't faulted once.

Don't forget you also get DDR3 RAM and 2 video cards, both features which are not available in many (any?) PC laptops as of yet, so you're paying a little extra for being an early adopter.

I am typing this on my new MacBook, after switching from a life of Windows and there really is NO comparison!

But what do you mean 'no comparison'? It seems to get thrown around a lot here and everywhere else without much of an explanation. It would be good if you and other people who have gone from PC's could elaborate on why there is no comparison.

Oh, and the MBP will work better with my iPhone too apparently!

----------------

have posted this before here but relevant.....

I purchased my MacBook at the exact same time that my work gave me a brand new lenovo thinkpad 14". At the time I ran a few casual performance tests as they were similarly specced and they came out about even.

Now I have loaded up both machines with lots of different software to suit their different purposes. On the lenovo I do regular maintenance tasks including registry cleanups and disk defrag. On the MacBook I do nothing with regards to maintenance.

1 year later. The lenovo runs like a dog, whereas the MacBook runs like the day I bought it. To me this has been a clincher real world comparison. The time I have spent at work trying to maintain the lenovo and the reboots and the looong shutdowns and start ups just do not happen on osx.

It's all about quality engineering.
     I got Apples 
    www.mestevie.com
    mestevie@twitter

It's a Mac, prices are higher. If you don't wanna pay, don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philljc View Post
    But what do you mean 'no comparison'? It seems to get thrown around a lot here and everywhere else without much of an explanation. It would be good if you and other people who have gone from PC's could elaborate on why there is no comparison.

Oh, and the MBP will work better with my iPhone too apparently!
    You just have to use one for a little while and you will see how much better a mac holds up. It doesnt shit itself when you load up the hard drive with loads of stuff, it still boots and shuts down as if there was nothing installed on it

The new macbook/pro's are just a pleasure to use. The new glass trackpad is miles ahead with things it can do compared to a windows lappy not to mention the features of OSX which again is miles ahead of windows

Quote Originally Posted by Philljc View Post
    You're right, it is thrown around a lot, but from my experience, here's why:

OS X is a far better OS than Windows (Vista or XP). It is more stable, easier to use, less complicated, has better software available for it (less software, but better), more secure etc etc. This is chalk and cheese in my mind. Things like Time Machine show me that someone thought about how people use an OS, whereas something like network setup in Vista makes me think no one thought about this at all!

The hardware is simply divine. There isn't a laptop I have seen that is even close to the build quality of my MB. Now this is mainly a feel good thing, as most PS notebooks should see out there usable lifespan (2-3 years). I bought a Mac for the same reason I chose to buy a quality car.

The OS is written for the hardware. Imagine never having to screw around with drivers again. Imagine things just working, not having compatibility issues between your wireless card and your video card etc

There are many thoughtful touches with a Mac, but none more so (for my money) than the finger gestures. This has completely changed how I browse on a laptop. I actually plugged a mouse into my MB the other day and after 10 seconds went back to using the trackpad! It is so intuitive and so useful!

So, those are a few ideas on why I think there is no comparison. Others may have different opinions and/or disagree with me, but for me, that's why!

If it means anything on build quality, my iBook still looks as new after all this time of being used nearly every day.
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,
    ``,,`,,` `
    ,,`,,
    ,,`,,

I've also found more advanced things like drive cloning is a piece of piss. Carbon copy cloner makes a bootable drive easily and it's free. With windows it was difficult to find cloning software that would make a bootable clone when I wanted to move my windows install to a larger disk. Same goes with backup and restoring after a drive failure, plug in my time machine disk, boot from leopard DVD and bam - back in business after a few hours.

Vista's built in complete backup will only restore to an identical disk to the original... I found this out the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Piratbyran View Post
    If it means anything on build quality, my iBook still looks as new after all this time of being used nearly every day.
    I agree,

My Macbook is one year old, used it everyday, including dragging it all over sydney for work and apart from slight discoloration on the wrist area (its a white plastic one) which will probably wipe off.. it looks and feels brand new.

Also with windows boxes i have used i would have to do a full re-install every 3 months to keep it feeling fresh and new. I have never had to do this with my Macbook (or any unix based system ive ever used).

Meh Apple still manufacture their stuff in China to save costs like everyone else
    Its the consumer perception

Quote Originally Posted by Phunky View Post
    Meh Apple still manufacture their stuff in China to save costs like everyone else
    Well yeah, it's called business.

ts the consumer perception
    Hmm. So the build quality of the MacBook I'm typing on now is just a figure of my imagination?

It's not perception at all. Go play with some Windows lappies then a MacBook, no comparison.
    "The radio makes hideous sounds" - Bob Dylan.

Quote Originally Posted by tdm911 View Post
    You're right, it is thrown around a lot, but from my experience, here's why:

There are many thoughtful touches with a Mac, but none more so (for my money) than the finger gestures. This has completely changed how I browse on a laptop. I actually plugged a mouse into my MB the other day and after 10 seconds went back to using the trackpad! It is so intuitive and so useful!

+1. The new trackpad is without a doubt the best feature of any computer I've ever owned. I rarely use my wireless mouse now.
    iPhone 6 64GB | iPad Pro 9.7" / 128GB | Watch SS / BSB+LB | Hackintosh i7 3770K 4.2GHz / 32GB / 480 SSD / 256GB SSD / 2TB HDD / Blu-ray / GTX 980 4GB / 2x24" LED Cinema Displays | Macbook Pro Retina 13" / i7 2.8GHz / 8GB / 512GB SSD / Intel Iris

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast