Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Does anyone else with the aluminium powerbook suffer from electricity jolts/zaps when it's running off the adapter?

When I have my pb plugged into the outlet, I can feel the electricity running through the laptop through my palms which rest next to trackpad when typing. My arms eventually go numb after about half and hour of use which is rather uncomfortable.

Just trying to work out if I have a faulty pb or is this "normal"...

Thanks.
    MBP 15" 2.16Ghz | iMac G4 700Mhz | Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz | ibook G3 indigo clamshell - not working -logic board I think :(
    iPod Shuffle 1st Gen 1Gb | 5G Video iPod White 30Gb | (PRODUCT)red iPod Nano 8Gb & Nike+ sports kit

Not actually owning an Albook, I'd go as far as to say this is most certainly not normal. I'd also advise you stop using the adapter/powerbook and return it to the store from which it came.

Also, see a doctor :p
    Rev.B 20" Intel iMac: 2.16GHZ, 2GB RAM, 256MB VIDEO, 500GB HDD
    Be aware, be peaceful.

Exocet's Avatar Exocet is offline We're gonna need to move you down into storage B.

I don't get any of this, and I'm using a new 1.67Ghz AlBook. It sounds like there's a connection loose somewhere, and it could continue to get worse. Discontinue use, contact the reseller and possibly a doctor.

Yes, this *IS* normal and yes, I have seen this on MANY systems (all Albooks, one Toshiba Qosmio).

You'll find that if you're using the long power cable that plugs into the power pack, it'll go away. If you don't plug the unit into power, it'll go away. If you use the short power plug in the power adapter, then the problem remains.

So short answer: use the long cable. It's a design flaw. It might be worth investigating the health risks, though...

Thanks guys. I don't think it's so bad that I need to see the Doc but I'll give the apple store a call tomorrow.

I'll just have to type quick enough to finish all my work in the 2.5 hours of battery life that I have left.

Thanks
    MBP 15" 2.16Ghz | iMac G4 700Mhz | Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz | ibook G3 indigo clamshell - not working -logic board I think :(
    iPod Shuffle 1st Gen 1Gb | 5G Video iPod White 30Gb | (PRODUCT)red iPod Nano 8Gb & Nike+ sports kit

I am using the long power cable....short one doesn't reach anywhere close to a power outlet in my house.

maybe this has nothing to do with it... maybe it does:

http://apple.com.au/support/powerbook/batteryexchange/

Sally McLellan fan

Does the cable you are using have 3 pins? If so, check that the other end has a metal slot that touches the aligning plug on the power supply itself. If the PB is not earthed you will get a tickle, mine use to all the time until I got a proper cord for it.
    It's a saga now...

That is certainly NOT normal and VERY dangerous. You may get killed! beware!

Get your powerbook checked out, there may be a loose wire. All computers must have grounded power by law. It's most likely that your powerpoint it not grounded. It is by law that all powerpoints in australia are grounded, but sometimes there are cheapy powerpoints.

Yes, I found out the hard way from a powerpoint that was earthed properly, not a plesant experience. If you powerbook does this at all power points I'd say theres a problem with your adapter or computer otherwise it might pay to get an electrician to have a look at that power point as there might be a bad connection.
    13 inch MBP :: 32Gb iPod Touch

I don't (1.5 Al.) EDIT and neither has my wife (1.3 Albook)
    Used both "short" and "long" setup?
    Don't sound right to me. :o
    \

Funny that most power adapters use 2-pronged plugs rather than 3-pronged.
    If the power adapter plug only has 2-prongs, a 3-pronged ext. cable seems pretty useless when it comes down to extra grounding.

the lenght of the cable has nothing to do with this problem.

I am 100% certain that this is a grounding problem. Yes some powerpoints have 3 plugs but are not actually wired up correctly.

When i was saying that a non-grounded line can kill you i was not joking or overexaggerting. You will die, and many have in the past. This is a major problem in asian countries.