Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Have just bought a netgear wireless router/adslmodem. I have no problems accessing the internet from my powerbook but I can't network the powerbook to the PC. I have followed all the instructions and have tried almost everything. Have set up workgroup as WORKGROUP on the PC. It comes up on the mac but when I click connect it wants me to connect using a SMB/CIFS authentication password. I have tried all my passwords and usernames from both machines and it still comes up with WORKGROUP could not be opened because the original cannot be found.

I'm going insane.:blink:

Can someone please help

Luke
    15 inch Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz (early 2008), 2 ghz Mac mini core 2 duo (early 2009), 15 inch Powerbook G4 1.5ghz (can't kill it)

it seems that either your username or password you are using to access the PC is wrong, Which OS are your running?

neil

I've got XP homeSP2 and OS 10.3.9. I tried all of the normal passwords and usernames and none of them seem to work. I've also turned windows sharing and file sharing on both machines.

Very frustrating.

Luke
    15 inch Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz (early 2008), 2 ghz Mac mini core 2 duo (early 2009), 15 inch Powerbook G4 1.5ghz (can't kill it)

Make sure you have your firewall on Windows configured to let your mac through. I have a similar setup and that got it working for me.

Are you trying to access the powerbook from the PC or the PC from the powerbook? Or you want to set up both? I've got both working.

Do you have any firewalls up on the PC? That could be one source or conflict.

On your powerbook go to..

System Prefrences->Sharing

Turn on Windows Sharing.

Now from your PC open up my computer and in the address bar type in

&#092;&#092;laptopsIPaddress&#092;machinename <- the exact line will be at the bottom of the sharing pane.

You should get asked for your password/username, then you put in your password and username for one of the accounts on your laptop. This will log you into your home directory for that user.

To go from your powerbook to your PC simply open the finder and click on network. It should show up your workgroup if everything is setup correctly, and then any computers on that workgroup should be in that folder. Then you just connect to the shared folders.
    garethtownsend.info

Melbourne Cocoaheads! - we're cuckoo for cocoa apps!

I plan to wireless network my pb to my dell notebook and printer too but being so new to Mac and not much of a teckie, its all too much to take in. Can anyone recommend someone who could do a home visit and set the whole thing up for me in Melbourne (I live close to the city)?

I&#39;ve turned all the firewalls off. The computers recognise each other ie. the workgroup shows up on the mac from the PC but then it wants a SMB username and password to let me connect to the workgroup and I haven&#39;t set up any passwords or usernames. Thanks for all the help. Will keep persisting. Just very frustrating. I think its meant t be easier than what it has been.

Luke

Hey

make sure you have a selected folder such as &#39;my documents&#39; shared. Even though you have file and printer sharing on you need to actually share something as well. Right click the folder and click sharing.

Make sure both computers are DCHP off the router so that both have correct ips and subnets.

From the mac - click network, wait for the work group to show, open the folder, double click the PC computer and it will give you the my documents to mount.

Just a suggestion
    Cheers
    Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz C2D, Apple 23" HD Display and Black 16GB iPhone 3G...
    Successful Sales - chrism238, ARB, Bob, Goodbye, chrissara, garrymacdonald, lavo, jubilantjeremy, Jordan M, mulquemi, avolve x 2, macaholic, warren21, Meh 626...

Originally posted by shtan72@May 8 2005, 05:29 PM
    I plan to wireless network my pb to my dell notebook and printer too but being so new to Mac and not much of a teckie, its all too much to take in. Can anyone recommend someone who could do a home visit and set the whole thing up for me in Melbourne (I live close to the city)?
    PM me with a list of exactly what you want done.
    garethtownsend.info

Melbourne Cocoaheads! - we're cuckoo for cocoa apps!

Originally posted by The Architect.mac@May 8 2005, 08:18 PM
    Hey

make sure you have a selected folder such as &#39;my documents&#39; shared. Even though you have file and printer sharing on you need to actually share something as well. Right click the folder and click sharing.

Make sure both computers are DCHP off the router so that both have correct ips and subnets.

From the mac - click network, wait for the work group to show, open the folder, double click the PC computer and it will give you the my documents to mount.

Just a suggestion
    Cheers
    Thanks for that mate. I&#39;ll try it when I get back to the coast this weekend. I just thought does having XP home edition instead of professional edition?

Thanks again

Luke

The only difference between XP Home and XP professional is that the pro product knows about Domains and can do validation of them.

1) Create a user and password on XP for use by MAC
    2) Make sure you have shared a directory on XP.
    3) Allow this user read or read/write access to this share.
    4) Connect to XP from MAC but when it presents a box of what do you want to connect to click on the selection box and select your share name you created (default is something like SIF/ something or other?).
    5) When authentication comes up type in the user name & password you created on XP AND where it says workgroup type in the XP computer&#39;s name.
    6) Tick the remember in keychain.

Worked for me last night and I only just got the Mini - Sorry don&#39;t remember all the MAC names and defaults.

Thanks again. Will try that this weekend.

Cheers
    Luke