Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default VMware Fusion 2.0.1 is out

WHAT'S NEW
    VMware Fusion 2.0.1 | 14 NOV 2008 | Build 128865

Version 2.0.1 is a maintenance release of VMware Fusion 2. It has the following enhancements:

• Contains bug fixes described in Resolved Issues
    • Now shows application badge instead of generic document icons when assigning Windows applications to Mac documents
    • Greatly reduced initial pause when opening mirrored or shared folders
    • No longer disables certain shared folders and mirrored folders that were nested folders. The potential data loss issue with nested shared folders has been resolved
    • No longer publishes Windows guest applications to Mac if Allow the virtual machine to open applications on your Mac is unchecked in virtual machine Settings > Sharing
    • AutoProtect postpones taking a snapshot when the user is interacting with the virtual machine
    • No longer maps Num Pad Enter to AltGr by default for non-European keyboards
    • Brings back the Enable Hints menu item in Help menu
    VMware Fusion 2.0.1 Release Notes
    VMware Fusion: Download

The feature in red was annoying me.

oh cool, thanks for the heads up Huy
    iphone 4, 16 gig @ $59 Optus cap; | Western Digital 500gig | 13in Macbook Air 2.13 Ghz, 256 gig flash memory, 4 gig of ram, | Bose companion 5; | 1st gen ipod touch; | ipod shuffle;

Convert Your Favorite Movies Into iPad Using Click Here/Find out more - Download Free Trial. Convert iPhone Ringtone Using Aiseesoft.

Retail = full price.
    EDU = you're a student.

You will know if you are eligible for EDU or not.

It is $50 here:
    VMWARE VMFM20BX2ED - VMware Fusion 2.0 Education - InstantIT

Otherwise buy OEM.

I have the EDU package, works perfectly for me, but mine cost more than $50, damn, I should have asked Huy first,
    iphone 4, 16 gig @ $59 Optus cap; | Western Digital 500gig | 13in Macbook Air 2.13 Ghz, 256 gig flash memory, 4 gig of ram, | Bose companion 5; | 1st gen ipod touch; | ipod shuffle;

That thing highlighted in red is something I wanted, I am sick of seeing apps in my guests as possible things I can use to open files in OSX

I use my guests purely for testing or doing specific purposes. So I don't need to see the apps in OSX.

/me downloads

purana try being a Parallels user. When I was using it a few years ago, it did crazy things like that without even asking you. (Then again, Fusion never asked me either but I disabled the sharing).

Quote Originally Posted by Huy View Post
    purana try being a Parallels user. When I was using it a few years ago, it did crazy things like that without even asking you. (Then again, Fusion never asked me either but I disabled the sharing).
    Long time VMware user Fusion is good, it reminds me just how good Workstation was during the v1.0 days

I'll update and disable the apps from being visible. All good. In the meantime I deleted the Applications folder under each guest, and made them populate again. So it looks neater, even if they still show me for now. I can live with that, the new version will allow us to disable it complete so even better.

Retail = full price.
    EDU = you're a student.

You will know if you are eligible for EDU or not.

It is $50 here:
    VMWARE VMFM20BX2ED - VMware Fusion 2.0 Education - InstantIT

Otherwise buy OEM.
    I asked the seller(from eBay) & he/she told me EDU version can't be used for commercial purposes, that's all. So I'm assuming that if I'm a private user, I should be fine with EDU version?

Did you purchase yours from ITinstant as well?

Cheers!
    Convert Your Favorite Movies Into iPad Using Click Here/Find out more - Download Free Trial. Convert iPhone Ringtone Using Aiseesoft.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzagler View Post
    I asked the seller(from eBay) & he/she told me EDU version can't be used for commercial purposes, that's all. So I'm assuming that if I'm a private user, I should be fine with EDU version?

Cheers!
    I think you should be fine, but I guess you can let us know.
    I purchase my key during the half price special they had, you had to buy it before the product went GA (Generally Available). Bargain too. I then also got another 4-5 keys through work, as my employer owns VMware.

That is actually the primary reason I switched to fusion. Parallels was good as a VM, but so annoying when it kept trying to "help"
    Grrrr, Arrrrghhh!!!
    http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8259491826/photos
    My Photo Gallery

I am really happy now, disabled the option below. Now I no longer see the MacOS suggestion apps installed in guests as being able to open files in MacOS. All good.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzagler View Post

I don't think you should buy EDU if you're not EDU (student/academic).

If you're a private home consumer, then you should be buying either RRP or OEM.

I didn't buy my version from Instant IT, as I got mine a while ago (similar time to when purana was talking about).

I bought the EDU version from Instant IT - great service and it's the first time ever that I've had next day delivery from the Eastern States (I'm in Perth). Also, I entered the serial number into my pre-installed and configured trial version of Fusion 2 and it activated it without any issues.

I am loosely affiliated with a University (an associate and I have a staff number), but I didn't have to provide any real evidence in order to purchase the EDU version. While I agree with Huy that you probably shouldn't purchase the EDU version if you're not "EDU", it probably wouldn't have stopped me trying... ;-)

Otherwise, the OEM version is still good value:

VMWARE VMFM20CD VMware Fusion 2.0 OEM Only $71.17
    VMWARE VMFM20BX2I VMware Fusion 2.0 Retail $95.37
    VMWARE VMFM20BX2E.. VMware Fusion 2.0 Education $49.83
    iPhone 6 64GB | iPad Pro 9.7" / 128GB | Watch SS / BSB+LB | Hackintosh i7 3770K 4.2GHz / 32GB / 480 SSD / 256GB SSD / 2TB HDD / Blu-ray / GTX 980 4GB / 2x24" LED Cinema Displays | Macbook Pro Retina 13" / i7 2.8GHz / 8GB / 512GB SSD / Intel Iris

But the shipping is a bit expensive $15.....how much did you pay for the shipping cost?

I paid $16 for shipping. Your only other alternative is to pay the equivalent of AU$140 on the Vmware website.

I know what I'd do
    iPhone 6 64GB | iPad Pro 9.7" / 128GB | Watch SS / BSB+LB | Hackintosh i7 3770K 4.2GHz / 32GB / 480 SSD / 256GB SSD / 2TB HDD / Blu-ray / GTX 980 4GB / 2x24" LED Cinema Displays | Macbook Pro Retina 13" / i7 2.8GHz / 8GB / 512GB SSD / Intel Iris

Do we get the updates for free if I purchase the V2.0?

Yes. It will even be free if you have a V1.0 licence!

Note: VMware Fusion 2 is a free downloadable upgrade for all VMware Fusion 1.x users. Your existing VMware Fusion 1 serial number will work with VMware Fusion 2, and all you need to do to upgrade is download and install. Thank you for your early support!
    Source: VMware Fusion - VMware

quick question, how on earth do you share files between your xp (in vmware fusion) with os x?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast