Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

I'm pretty sure that this wont work but there's no harm in asking

Here's the story:

I've recently been looking around for a broadband plan, I found what I was looking for in aanet, so I did a quick broadband availability check at telstra and all came up fine.

So I ordered the aanet plan and started looking for a decent wireless modem, I came across the netgear dg834gt which was the best I could find for around $200. it came the next day so I plugged it in to test the wireless connection down to my room from the study (many brick walls in the way)
    To my suprise my iBook was getting up to 75% which was terrific for the distance.

Now to the dissapointment, today I got an email from aanet saying that telstra tested my connection and supposedly broadband is a no go with my streets current cabling
    (I called up telstra and they confirmed the same for mine and all of the houses in my street)

Now I'm left with a $200 paperweight until telstra gets to updating my street.
    (I could have baught tiger )

So I guess that leaves the question: Is there anyway I can use my new modem with dialup so I can at least use the wireless aspect?
    32GB iPhone 3GS, Unibody MacBook Pro.
    last.fm| trades: anaami, Bob, vwl, and lots of other people.

Does the router have a WAN port? If so, you could pickup an external dialup modem with a built in (firmware) login client that you access and setup the same way you access and setup the router (ie through a web interface).

If the router does not have a wan port. Then you will want to find an external dialup modem/router with built in login client. Then plug it into one of the LAN ports on the wireless router. Disable the wireless routers DHCP and have it act as just a switch/access point and have the modem assign the IPs and everything.

Or alternatively instead of an external modem/router you could setup a computer to do the same function (dial up, and act as a DHCP for the lan).

Yep, double checked the box and it does have a WAN port so I'll give it a try.

Thanks for you help
    32GB iPhone 3GS, Unibody MacBook Pro.
    last.fm| trades: anaami, Bob, vwl, and lots of other people.