Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Cheapest outright iPhone + unlock?

Hello, I was just wondering what the cheapest price (which carrier) offers the cheapest combination of an outright 16gb iPhone and an unlock.

Some say that virgin phones come unlocked, and optus doesn't have clear pricing for outright handsets, so I thought I would ask here.

Thanks.

Aladdin's Avatar Aladdin is offline Drink Coffee - Do Stupid Things Faster

Please note that nowadays there aren't many places left that still sell them outright.
    Rise & Shine: the early spoon gets the morning wood.

Aww, why is that? I bought one on a contract at the start, and I thought that they would only have been pushing the contracts at the start when there was limited stock, not the other way around.

What the hell does 'AFAIK' mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Huy View Post
    Optus.

About $929 AFAIK.
    MacBook Unibody 13" | iPhone 5 32Gb | iPad 3 16GB | iPod Nano 6G | Airport Extreme | ATV2 Successful Trades: TomMelbourne | Mart | ajbeardy | Barticus | countmacula | mikinoz | Exocet | oddturtle | gmask1 | jeremywarnock | carlow1 | musky

Quote Originally Posted by danno74 View Post
    What the hell does 'AFAIK' mean?
    As Far As I Know

Quote Originally Posted by eLMafUDd View Post
    Aww, why is that? I bought one on a contract at the start, and I thought that they would only have been pushing the contracts at the start when there was limited stock, not the other way around.
    One of my family members owns and manages a chain of Optus mobile resellers. According to him, stores were only offered a single order of prepaid phones which had to be placed prior to the iphones going on sale. Now that this stock of phones has dried up, the only way of ordering more is on contract.

He is a store owner and doesn't know any reason why it was done this way. Speculate away... I have no idea.