I am a computer gimp so please keep any advice simple

I would like to set up a home network.

I have:

2Wire Gateway ADSL Wifi modem router thingy (supplied by telsta) 2701HGV-W,
    MacBook,
    HP Laptop on Vista,
    Dell desktop on XP,
    Canon Pixma MP510 printer usually plugged into vista laptop

I would like to be able to share files across all 3 computers.

I would also like to print/scan from all 3 computers. Is it possible to hook the printer up to the router or does it need to be conected to a computer.

I have no idea what I am doing

Preferably someone would be able to point me to a simple walk through solution

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Jack.

I wrote this up which you might find useful:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/20/4276...ard-vista.html

The discussion has continued at AppleTalk Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by jacke View Post

I would also like to print/scan from all 3 computers. Is it possible to hook the printer up to the router or does it need to be conected to a computer.
    Nope, it has to be connected to a computer. You can share the printer from this computer, and print from other computers, but you cannot share the scanner.

Jeremy
    Join SqueekyTee (by Rushfaster) using this invite code!
    norobots.net.au - My blog.
    - Lots of macs : MB (black) C2D 2Gb, eMac 1.42Ghz 1.5Gb, eMac 700Mhz, Sawtooth AGP 400Mhz, iBook 800Mhz, iMac 350Mhz, iPod mini, iPod Touch 8Gb and one pretty disorganised life

Thanks guys, I'll use that info, pity about not being able to share a scanner, but I'll get over it.

This is where I'm at:
    Vista machine: can see Mac and XP and open and use files from both,
    MacBook: can see XP and open and use files, can't see Vista,
    XP machine: can't see Mac or Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by jubilantjeremy View Post
    Nope, it has to be connected to a computer. You can share the printer from this computer, and print from other computers, but you cannot share the scanner.

Jeremy
    It really depends on your router. Some do have USB ports that enable HDD/Printer sharing (like the Apple Airport Express/Extreme AP's).

Scanners can't be shared as a rule, however, you can just share the scans to a central location
    "Some say, that if you hold him in the wrong way, he doesn't work properly..."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Also, some printers have Ethernet ports to connect directly to the LAN, then all the computers would access it without a computer attached via USB, however the scanner still wouldn't work.
    blog | flickr | twitter
    Aluminium iMac 20" 10.5.7 iPod Touch 16gb (First Gen) 3.0b5 iPhone 3G 16gb 3.0b5

Quote Originally Posted by cmrn View Post
    Also, some printers have Ethernet ports to connect directly to the LAN, then all the computers would access it without a computer attached via USB, however the scanner still wouldn't work.
    True, but not the Pixma MP510 which is what the OP has
    "Some say, that if you hold him in the wrong way, he doesn't work properly..."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Thanks guys, I'll use that info, pity about not being able to share a scanner, but I'll get over it.

This is where I'm at:
    Vista machine: can see Mac and XP and open and use files from both,
    MacBook: can see XP and open and use files, can't see Vista,
    XP machine: can't see Mac or Vista.
    I think it might help you if you read my post from Sunday, particularly the observations I made in my second last post.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/16/6083...ease-help.html

I have concluded that the only way that I can connect to VISTA from my Mac is if I choose Connect to Server in Finder - unless I turn on my Vista Machine after I turn on my XP machine.

This seems crazy I know. I spent heaps of time trying to work this out.

Quote Originally Posted by drewbles View Post
    True, but not the Pixma MP510 which is what the OP has
    Thats why I said "some printers". I said it so the OP knows if he/she is ever shopping for a new printer
    blog | flickr | twitter
    Aluminium iMac 20" 10.5.7 iPod Touch 16gb (First Gen) 3.0b5 iPhone 3G 16gb 3.0b5

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    I have concluded that the only way that I can connect to VISTA from my Mac is if I choose Connect to Server in Finder - unless I turn on my Vista Machine after I turn on my XP machine.

This seems crazy I know. I spent heaps of time trying to work this out.
    I have tried this and I get this pop up

I don't know which user name and password it wants.
    I have tried my MacBook user name and password but that doesn't work.
    I have entered the vista machine user name with no password as it doesn't have one, that doesn't work either.

Regarding the printer, thanks guys, I will just plug it into the xp machine as that is always on, it is my media centre plugged into my lcd tv.

I have tried this and I get this pop up

I don't know which user name and password it wants.
    I have tried my MacBook user name and password but that doesn't work.
    I have entered the vista machine user name with no password as it doesn't have one, that doesn't work either.
    If I recall, I think I had trouble with this until I actually setup a password for the VISTA Account. Once I did this, I think it work straight away once I entered the password when requested by the Mac.

The fact that you are getting this message shows that it can see the VISTA machine.

I am now seeing this in the finder sidebar.

jackandbrii is the XP desktop which I can now access via the MacBook.

brii-laptop is the vista lapop. I cannot access this. When I "Connect to server", it doesn't matter if I put my Mac user name and password or the vista user name and password, it says I have entered the wrong password.

So at this stage:
    XP machine - cannot see vista or Mac
    Vista machine - can see and access both xp and Mac
    Mac - can see vista and xp, can access xp, cannot access vista.

I am now seeing this in the finder sidebar.

jackandbrii is the XP desktop which I can now access via the MacBook.

brii-laptop is the vista lapop. I cannot access this. When I "Connect to server", it doesn't matter if I put my Mac user name and password or the vista user name and password, it says I have entered the wrong password.

So at this stage:
    XP machine - cannot see vista or Mac
    Vista machine - can see and access both xp and Mac
    Mac - can see vista and xp, can access xp, cannot access vista.
    I am surprised that the XP machine is having trouble seeing Vista or Mac. My XP machine was the one I had least issues with.

It is good to see that XP and Vista are showing up automatically under Shared. I have found this really flaky on my system, with the Vista machine only appearing if I turn on XP first - GO FIGURE!

Here are some articles that I found useful in working on my system. It may be worth going back to scratch to make sure you have covered the basics.

File Sharing OS X 10.5 to Windows XP - Mapping Network Shares

InformIT: How to Network Vista and XP Computers Together > How to Network Vista and XP Computers Together

Good Luck.

Just one other thing. On the Vista machine have you turned on File Sharing in the Network and Sharing Center.

vista and xp don't show automatically on the Mac, I have to connect to server.

I have vista file sharing on, but had to turn password off.

I do have Trend anti virus on the windoze machines so it may be a firewall issue, but I cant figure out how to allow sharing in Trend.

Remember, I am a computer gimp.

Craig,

When you connect to your windoze machines do you have to mount drives?

I have to do this and if you have a few shared drives it sticks them all over the desktop, which is ugly and disorganised.

I would really like itif the 2 windoze machines would just be visible in the finder sidebar and I could access them from there, is this possible, how does it work on your setup?

Craig,

When you connect to your windoze machines do you have to mount drives?

I have to do this and if you have a few shared drives it sticks them all over the desktop, which is ugly and disorganised.

I would really like itif the 2 windoze machines would just be visible in the finder sidebar and I could access them from there, is this possible, how does it work on your setup?
    That isn't a problem, just go into the Finder Preferences and under the General Tab, deselect Connected server under 'Show these items on the Desktop'.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my Vista machines only show-up in 'Shared' in the Finder if I turn on my XP machine before my VISTA machine. Otherwise I have to mount them.

I really hope there is a day when I can go all Mac, so I don't have to worry about these issues. It has really been sending me crazy trying to sort out these issues. I have been doing lots of research on the Web, and there are many people that have problems with this.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    That isn't a problem, just go into the Finder Preferences and under the General Tab, deselect Connected server under 'Show these items on the Desktop'..
    That works, cheers.

I am now able to connect to xp and vista via Finder-Go-Connect to Server, but I would rather if they just connected automatically.

Vista is the surprising one, it automatically sees xp and my Mac

XP is where it all gets bad, I cannot access my Mac or vista from the xp machine.

I haven't tried the printer yet, that may be tomorrows job.

Thanks for your help so far guys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast