Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default First build of 10.6 hits developers

News around the interwebs todays tells that the first build (10A190) of Snow Leopard/10.6 has been released to ADC members.

Noice... would put 10.6 very much on track for WWDC release!

Despite the fact that this OS will have the least amount of bells and whistles, this is the most excited about a 10 point release I have been for a long time!
    See wineweek.com.au for rapid tips on which wines are worth buying and drinking.
    Follow me on twitter: wineweek or uncyherb

Dumb noob question, but is the likely to be a free upgrade for existing leopard users, or will we need to pay for an upgrade?

Nope, Apple being stingy, will make us pay for 10.6 :\

From playing around with the developer preview version I'm in the same boat - I'm impressed with performance and stability - Almost exactly what you want to see in an update.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

chrome's Avatar chrome is offline MacTalk Engineering Department of Horrors. Mutilator of HTML Templates Extraordinaire. Man with the Very Long User Title. No you can't have one. Ha ha.

I would be surprised if it's free, but not surprised if it's at a reduced cost compared to 10.5, to reflect the reduced number of consumer facing features. It'd be a hard sell, otherwise.

But, that said, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the full price. Apple are unpredictable.
    In ur forums, upgradin'.

Stupid question, but when's WWDC again?

Quote Originally Posted by bennyling View Post
    Stupid question, but when's WWDC again?
    June is the usual timing, although the 2009 event has not been announced yet.
    See wineweek.com.au for rapid tips on which wines are worth buying and drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutze View Post
    From playing around with the developer preview version I'm in the same boat - I'm impressed with performance and stability - Almost exactly what you want to see in an update.
    So it's much more responsive than 10.5?

Quote Originally Posted by mechcon View Post
    Nope, Apple being stingy, will make us pay for 10.6 :\
    Since when did charging for over a years worth of development costs make Apple stingy?
    garethtownsend.info

Melbourne Cocoaheads! - we're cuckoo for cocoa apps!

Quote Originally Posted by Quamen View Post
    Since when did charging for over a years worth of development costs make Apple stingy?
    And its still cheaper than buying a full version of Windows

It will be interesting to see what under the hood stuff will be in 10.6, but I'm still yet to see any software developed for 10.5 that has some real "wow" factor about it. I'm guessing its like most platforms, that we never see the best of it because its continually being updated (unlike say the C64, which programmers wringed its neck for any perfomance gains, as there were no updates).

Which macs will be able to even take advantage of 10.6 and see a noticeable difference?
    Do something for humanity with your idle computer!
    www.worldcommunitygrid.org
    short video of the community

Quote Originally Posted by mechcon View Post
    So it's much more responsive than 10.5?
    I think his Steveness will be able to use the term "snappy" quite librally.

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
    Which macs will be able to even take advantage of 10.6 and see a noticeable difference?
    Most modern Macs will be able to see advantages - Any Core 2 Duo and above chips.
     iPhone & iPhone 3GS, Macbook Pro 17" C2D 2.8ghz. iMac alu. 20" C2D 2ghz. iMac 20" CD 2ghz & Cube 450mhz. Website

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
    That's difficult to tell at this point... but at a guess, any intel mac with dual cores should see noticeable improvement, any intel mac with multiple cpus should see a very big improvement and possibly any recent mac with a multi-core GPU should see decent improvements.

But we'll have to wait for Apple to give us the guide.

The CPU usage when decoding HD H.264 on the new macbooks is an indication of where things might be heading with snow leopard. (100% cpu usage on previous MBP's, <20% cpu usage on new MBP's with 1080 HD H.264).

Quote Originally Posted by uncyherb View Post
    The CPU usage when decoding HD H.264 on the new macbooks is an indication of where things might be heading with snow leopard. (100% cpu usage on previous MBP's, <20% cpu usage on new MBP's with 1080 HD H.264).
    Really?

Thats pretty lean, im surprised. Hope i see a change with my Al imac.
    Successful Trades With: Slimey, ryano, vivid2, Byrd

2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo, 500Gb, 4Gb RAM 24" iMac (Aluminium)

2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 500Gb, 4Gb RAM 13" MacBook (Aluminium)

Quote Originally Posted by uncyherb View Post
    That's difficult to tell at this point... but at a guess, any intel mac with dual cores should see noticeable improvement, any intel mac with multiple cpus should see a very big improvement and possibly any recent mac with a multi-core GPU should see decent improvements.

But we'll have to wait for Apple to give us the guide.

However it's been very highly argued that changes to Quicktime (they have a different build on the new Macbooks and MBP's) is really anything to do with Quicktime X (coming in Snow Leopard). From my understanding it's more to do with optimisation.

Snow Leopard is ALL about optimisation moving forward, and making the computer work better, smarter and faster.

So can anyone confirm if it'll boot off ZFS?

Tragedies's Avatar Tragedies is offline I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When do you guys think it'll be officialy released to stores?

hhhmm.. if it is for wwdc09, then it will be June or a later time.

makes me wonder if I would go for 10.5 now (still on Tiger) or just wait... but it is a loooong wait to June. If optimization is a key feature.. then it is worth it for those with multi-core.

Will better battery life be feature?

We might as well ask if it will make our e-peen look any bigger! Guys it's a beta OS currently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast