Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!

Default Second Hard Drive in Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro.

I am toying with the idea of removing my superdrive and replacing it with a HDD using a data doubler from OWC. I have a 1TB Seagate SSHD Hybrid and I am getting conflicting reports as to whether I can use this in my laptop which is a MacBook Pro 8.1.I believe the issue is with transfer speeds of 6Gbs. Can anyone advise whether I can use this in the optibay.I have a 1TB crucial SSD in the laptop ATM.

You can 'optibay' any 9mm-high storage device in your machine that you like, but it will only communicate at SATA 1.0 speeds (1.5 Gbps).

JimWOz's Avatar JimWOz is offline 56 no. ...and still seeing it big as a footy

There were problems with the Optical Drive bay SATA speeds in the 15 inch 2011 MBP's, but The 13's are OK I think.
    Check this article on the OWC Blog. Note the mention of a firmware update that fixed the issue for the 13's.

Whilst the board supports SATA 3 on both the main drive bay and optical, the 15's had a cable problem with speeds higher than SATA 2.
    (A real problem because it would negotiate SATA 3 speed with an SSD drive at a machine level, and then not see it at all at the software level. Put a SATA 2 HDD in the Optical bay of an MBP 15 and everything is fine.)

Apple only use a SATA 1 Optical Drive in there.

And, as Brains says, it needs to be a 9.5mm high drive in the optical bay too.
    MBP15 i7 2.2 16G/1TB/120SSD, MB C2D2.4 Black, MB2.0 Black, PBG4/15/1.5, PMG4 MDD, iMacG3/333, Epson1410, HPLJ5200DN, HP ML115 Ubuntu Server, Airport Extreme+Express N. In the closet: HP DC7600 PC, PBG4/12/867, PBG3/333, PM6200, PB5300C, SE30, SE.