Welcome to MacTalk Australia

the largest Australian community for Apple discussions and topics

Join the discussions, Register Now!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Anyone care to help, I have an '07 black MacBook and a Sony Bravia KDL40EX710. I have a mini-dvi to vga adapter and a 3.5mm sound cable, all connected to the right places but when I go to the input menu I cannot select it as it thinks there is nothing connected.

EDIT: worked it out and thought i'd share my solution

- Press the home button and go to settings
    - Go to external inputs
    - select labels
    - find pc and push the centre button
    - change where it says automatic to always
    - now you are able to select pc and have it display your computer
    however if it is a laptop in mirror mode the tv will only display an image as large as your laptop resolution
    Last edited by nibbles; 10th January 2011 at 10:08 AM.

Hi, I could use some help! I'm trying to get my new 2011 macbook pro connected to my Samsung LED tv. I got the mini dp adapter and the hdmi cable, connected, and then got confused. The MBP blinks blue for a moment, then returns to normal function. The tv is displaying my background screen, but nothing else. (No dock or icons or menu bar or anything.) And when I try to do anything or play a movie on the MBP it doesn't go through to the tv, it just stays displaying the background screen. I'm not sure what I did wrong, is this not as simple as I'd hoped? Thanks for any advice...

Your tv is set up as "extended desktop" meaning it is a 2nd desktop - if you drag your mouse to the extreme right or left of your screen it will end up on the samsung tv.

You can use it like that so both displays retain independent resolutions, or you can mirror your mac on the samsung - but i think in that setting you'll end up with the same resolution on the samsung as you have on the macbook...

go to System Preferences > Display and have a tinker in there.

ohhhhhhh!!!!!!!! gehenna, you are my new best friend! thank you so much, i had no idea. i went into display preferences as you suggested and mirrored the screen, it's fantastic. i don't know enough about what i'm doing to keep it at a separate resolution, and since mostly I just want it to play Netflix on this should be fine.

---------- Post added at 07:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

oh shoot. i was too excited to see the screen working that i didn't realize at first - there's no sound. thought with the adapter and hdmi cable the sound was supposed to go through and i wouldn't need a separate audio cable.

oh shoot. i was too excited to see the screen working that i didn't realize at first - there's no sound. thought with the adapter and hdmi cable the sound was supposed to go through and i wouldn't need a separate audio cable.

HDMI DOES transmit video and sound...BUT when it comes to Apple products, you need a separate audio cable for sound. Your HDMI adapter is only for video output.
    | MacBook Air 11" | Mac Mini 2011| iPhone 5 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB | iPod Nano 4GB | iPod Hi-Fi | AirPort Extreme |
    | Traded | Huy | Alessiman | DagrtheSnide | alan7948 | iCameron | chris | dsiew |

shoot. well thanks, i'll have to get the audio cable.

Um, no you don't depending on what kind of adapter and Laptop you have. The 2011 MacBook Pro will send sound via HDMI, you just have to select it. Option click on the volume icon in the menubar and select something like HDMI Audio or SAMSUNG TV. That'll set the sound to output via the HDMI cable rather than the inbuilt speakers.

Ahh! Didn't know the current machines have that option! I'm going on my 2010 Mac Mini! But it only has a mini-DisplayPort connection and that goes to my HDMI adapter - hence why it's only video output
    | MacBook Air 11" | Mac Mini 2011| iPhone 5 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB | iPod Nano 4GB | iPod Hi-Fi | AirPort Extreme |
    | Traded | Huy | Alessiman | DagrtheSnide | alan7948 | iCameron | chris | dsiew |

Default *frustration*

erggghhh, i don't see an option for thatttttt.....! i am looking under Apple Menu, System Preferences, Sound. is that right? i can't think of where else it would be, but there's no option for it there.

It does depend on what adapter you have bought, I got One of these off ebay just the other day and audio works fine from a 2011 MacBook Pro with a cheap-ass HDMI cable. The screenshot below is from my iMac but you'll get the gist of what I mean when I say option click the volume icon.

Under output device you'll see one for HDMI or SAMSUNG or similar. Click it.

EDIT: This support document will show whether your mac is supported, won't help longbeachalice but it may be useful to others.
    About Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters
    Last edited by nibbles; 6th July 2011 at 09:23 AM.

I got the same adapter, also off ebay, also with a cheap HDMI cable. Thanks for the screenshot, I tried it that way but there still wasn't any other option. Output only showed internal speakers, input only said line in, and then sound preferences on the bottom like yours. As far as I have read and been told, this should work... But it isn't happening and I can't see what the matter is, it all seems right to me... The display is going through just fine, and I know the display registers the tv, it says so on my display menu. It's just the sound I can't figure how to get through, which, as far as I know, shouldn't be. Any other insight would be appreciated. Would really rather not add to the pile of wires and cables I already have in this house.

Don't know about samsung tvs but maybe try a different HDMI port, you may be plugging into a port which looks for the 3.5mm audio connection rather than the HDMI audio, I know the Sony Bravia has this option. Also if available try a different HDMI cable.

Other than that, i'm stumped because my adapter with a cheap cable works flawlessly, i've got a 3m HDMI cable ordered so the laptop doesn't need to be so damn close to the tv.

Also, you could try leaving it connected and restarting your MacBook to see if that makes a difference.

Angry

i just tried every single hdmi slot, and shut down/restart while connected, as suggested. none of it worked. and i tried another hdmi cable i have too, really expensive good quality one (i didn't want use it for this cause it's short, i ordered at 10ft one for cheap) and it didn't work with that either. maybe i just received a malfunctioning adapter? this is really annoying.

That's how mine's set up, thunderbolt to DVI adapter, DVI to hdmi lead plugged into TV, optical audio with 3.5mm toslink to stereo, mirrored displays in 1920x1080.

The audio is full surround if your media file is encoded with surround sound, it's pretty freakin' sweet. If you're very naughty you can get a subscription to easynews and stream AVI files by doing the following:

Get firefox
    Get 'Down them all' plugin
    Set the 'Down them all preferences' under advanced to 1/disabled max number of segments
    Get VLC
    Commence downloading your AVI, MKV, MP4, whatever with Down them all.

It will create a .dtapart file in your download folder.

Open that file with VLC, tell it not to repair the AVI structure (associating the .dtapart file with VLC will make it a lot quicker, just a double click on the .dtapart file and you're away). It will begin playing perfectly, no stuttering, no buffering, no drop outs, just perfect streaming!! Cool, huh?

So if you were that kind of person, you could watch any show/movie/concert or anything that was already on the easynews servers (newsgroup reader server that assembles multipart rar posts and makes the actual .avi or .mkv or whatever file available for direct download), streaming off the net through your macbook, playing on your telly and pumping through your stereo!!
    "I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..."
    MBP Feb 2011 2.3ghz, 8GB ram 2 x Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid SSD's in Raid0, optical drive removed

Make sure you set Down them all's multi part download to 'disabled' else this won't work.
    "I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..."
    MBP Feb 2011 2.3ghz, 8GB ram 2 x Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid SSD's in Raid0, optical drive removed

Hey All,

New to all this so forgive my ignorance - been reading up but would like a definite confirmation.

Right now I'm running Mini-DP -> HDMI direct into TV (no adapter). What is the easiest way to get audio from my MacBook (2008 Alu) to the TV? Will a 3.5mm cable from my headphone port to RCA into the TV work?

Cheers!
    "The radio makes hideous sounds" - Bob Dylan.

Hi gehenna,

I am trying to connect my MacBookPro5,4 to my Samsung UE32ES5700 100 Hz Full HD LED LCD TV. However, the TV does not recognize my Mac.
    Following your advice, I managed to drag the video onto the TV's screen. However, I cannot change the output audio source from Mac to TV. Do you have any advice?

Cheers,
    Christine

This 2012 MacBook Pro10,1/Retina has a HDMI port as does the Bravia HDTV. Problem solved. HDMI does indeed carry audio as well as video.

But I found for regular Mac->TV operations, the Mac mini also with an HDMI port is ideal and serves as our media centre.
    Last edited by Thingme; 22nd December 2013 at 05:59 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5